RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clear Bra (Rock Guard)-merged threads

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 03:21 PM
PTmobile
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
The install is top notch. I was considering VS (which 3M owns) but finding a good installer without driving a few hours was the issue. So I weighed quality of material vs. quality of install/ease of getting any issues addressed and went with the 3M product. I won't consider Avery since I know a few people who had bad experiences with Avery and the product wasn't as easy to correct fine scratches as the 3M or VS.
The standard Avery film was very bad. The Nano Fusion film is the most durable film out there and IMHO is the best film on the market. Could be why most installers cant get it fast enough because they simply cant manufacture enough to keep up with demand. I am positive you are talking about the old film... look into the Nano and you will be very impressed. perfectly smooth, lifetime warranty for labor and materials (only film in the industry with a true lifetime warranty), and it cant be stained. You can write on it with a permanent marker and it wipes right off.

Kitlz, Ventureshield is the only 3M film with a lifetime warranty. It is not advertised as 3M. So if you got 3M Scotchguard and you got a lfietime warranty with it then it is bogus. 3M doesnt offer it.
Old 11-27-11, 03:44 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just talked to my installer and he is putting on the Llumar film. They are apparently the world biggest maker of window tint film and offer a lifetime warranty for as on the paint protection
Old 11-27-11, 04:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by PTmobile
Kitlz, Ventureshield is the only 3M film with a lifetime warranty. It is not advertised as 3M. So if you got 3M Scotchguard and you got a lfietime warranty with it then it is bogus. 3M doesnt offer it.
If I have a problem, I just need to go back to the dealer to have it repaired/replaced. That's the main reason I had the install done there. No hassles. Fortunately so far so good.
Old 11-27-11, 07:04 PM
kartah
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
I got it installed by Rock Guard in Allentown, PA. Yes, you can buy any part you want, they cut their own pieces via CAD machine. I started out with the hood, partial fender and front bumper along with the mirrors. After seeing what they did with the a-pillars and windshield on my wife's C70 I opted for the rest. When I brought mine in there was an $800K Panamera getting the full body treatment. Nothing like having $4K to spend on the wrap... although the brake kit alone was $8500 so I guess it's relative.

Rock Guard's website is here: http://rockguardfilm.com/

The place where I got mine installed has a FB page here: http://www.facebook.com/#!/rockguardfilm

You can see tha Panamera project as well as my wife's C70 along with other high end autos they are entrusted with. Reall y nice guys. Don't know them on a personal nature but wouldn't mind buying them a beer at some point for what they've done thusfar.
Great, thanks MX!
Old 04-11-12, 11:28 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks for the great info guys!
Old 05-08-12, 07:29 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Has anyone tried Xpel film? I have a guy that quoted my $799 installed for hood (18")/bumper/fender/mirrors. Says it has 10yr film and labor warranty. Its got a self healing clear coat. Check out the videos.

http://www.xpel.com/products/xpel_ul...ction_film.asp
Old 05-08-12, 11:09 AM
cruiser
Driver School Candidate

I got the same quote and was wondering also. I ask for full hood and fenders and he thinks its about 1800
Old 05-08-12, 03:42 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cruiser
I got the same quote and was wondering also. I ask for full hood and fenders and he thinks its about 1800
Ouch!!! I put on LLumar film and did my whole hood, full bumper, and both front quarter panels and I paid just under $800. Price was same for Venturshield and 3m.. I would keep looking around for a better price.
Old 05-08-12, 04:08 PM
cruiser
Driver School Candidate

Wow. On the Xpel site they post the cost of kits and pictures of the cuts. Ant reviews Xpel vs ventureshield. Last night i saw on youtube a guy vimparing different clear films and scotchguard did the best. Ha used paint thinner and it wrecked all the other ones.
Old 05-12-12, 12:31 PM
jim350
Rookie

I had Xpel installed on my '12 RX 350 two weeks after taking delivery. To do the hood (not quite 2/3), fenders, mirrors, bumper and headlights was $996.50. Prior to the install I could already see some small nicks on the bumper. A bit pricey, but I think well worth it in the long run. I have 3M on my IS (cost was $800) and between the two products, so far I think the Xpel is more durable. I can't comment on "orange peel" as someone previously posted. Definitely is noticeable on the IS but it's Obsidian and the RX is Tungsten Pearl.
Old 05-12-12, 06:05 PM
cruiser
Driver School Candidate

On the Xpel did you go with bikini or straight across cut?
Old 05-12-12, 06:36 PM
jim350
Rookie

I went with straight across.
Old 05-13-12, 04:15 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

do the whole hood. it is worth the extra money not to have the seam. I am so glad I did the whole bumper, the whole hood as well as both quarter panels all the way to the door seams. No edges to get stuff stuck in.
Old 05-14-12, 04:23 AM
cruiser
Driver School Candidate

Im itching to do the fuul hood for that same reason. Even though it cost three times more. The question now is ventureshield vs Xpel
Old 01-27-13, 10:06 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking for clear bra installation in so cal. Any good suggestion?

Quick Reply: Clear Bra (Rock Guard)-merged threads