RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

YIKES!!! Stain on seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 08:59 AM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default YIKES!!! Stain on seats

I wear jeans to work and noticed this morning that there is blue dye on my driver side seat. Anyone know of a product that will remove the stain without discoloring my seat?
Old 11-22-11, 10:14 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Common problem with the Cashmere. There are some tips here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...d-leather.html

It's a common issue with a lot of light tan interiors. My friends Saturn had the same problem.

Eric
Old 11-22-11, 10:17 AM
avmba
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take a look at the following link with some good suggestions. I'd recommend using a quality leather cleaner followed by a leather conditioner to be safe. DO NOT use household products as it could damage the leather.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...d-leather.html

Good luck!
Old 11-22-11, 10:22 AM
jamiec
Driver

Thanks Eric for the information. Now I wish I had gotten the protection package offered at the dealership, then it would be their problem to restore my seat.
Old 11-22-11, 10:33 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

No problem. Your trouble is one of the reasons I shy'd away from the Cashmere. Perhaps it is a good opportunity to go back to the dealer and get a good discount on the protection package since this is a common problem. The Sales Manager at my dealership warned me about it. I don't know what it is with that particular color. My light gray has been just fine.
Old 11-22-11, 11:04 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I wanted so badly to get light gray interior because on the hybrid you get the black accent trim on the door panels. Well, I knew that I wear jeans almost everyday so that went out the window and I got black
Old 11-22-11, 11:18 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The 'uniform' where I live in North Georgia is pretty much denim . 90% at least of the time I'm in the car I'm wearing them. I have the light beige interior and it still looks (and smells) new after two and 1/2 years with no stains whatsoever. My guess would be the color fastness of the jeans. I don't eat in the car or allow drinks in paper cups either.

Originally Posted by RXSF
I wanted so badly to get light gray interior because on the hybrid you get the black accent trim on the door panels. Well, I knew that I wear jeans almost everyday so that went out the window and I got black
Old 11-22-11, 12:11 PM
jamiec
Driver

My jeans are all faded wash and I've had my car for little over a month and just today I get a stain. I guess I was spoiled because my 2004 RX was Obsidian and black interior so nothing showed on my seats. I absolutely do not eat or drink in my car and no one else is allowed either. Fortunately for me I don't have passengers so can only blame myself for this one!
Old 11-22-11, 12:12 PM
jamiec
Driver

Has anyone purchased the interior protection package and is it everything they claim it to be?
Old 11-22-11, 03:29 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The leather on your Rx is bonded already, that means it has a clear coat to resist stain. Parchment interior always have problem with blue jeans, thats why I insist on black or gray interior. Those dealer protetcion package has a mark up of 300 to 400%. Its nothing more than teflon spary on the leather, it will wear off within 6 months. If you have a stain and try to make a claim, they will make you jump thru hoops, make sure you read all the small prints. You need to get some leather cleaner and conditioner and apply it every few weeks or so. Parchment Interior is like black exterior, looks nice when clean but very high maintenance.
Old 11-22-11, 09:56 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't have a product to remove the stain, but I do have a suggestion to prevent it from getting worse. I purchased six really nice towels that perfectly color match the interior in my car. I just keep one on my drivers seat. It is unobtrusive. Obviously, the seat stays in like new condition. I keep the remaining towels in the back and will bring them out and use them if needed. This approach can reduce your work to near zero on the seats.
Old 11-22-11, 10:01 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

oh forgot to tell you earlier to mix one part woolite detergent and one part water to clean the seats. you're also going to need a lot of elbow grease
Old 11-23-11, 04:36 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

G man, you are speaking without knowledge of facts. If you read my post above, I have the parchment interior, my car has 30,000 miles over two and a half years of service, I wear jeans every day except Sunday (and still do after church), and my seats look brand new, no stains and no wear. No treatments from the dealer have been applied but I have applied a conditioner to keep the leather in good shape. With proper care, the parchment interior can be kept nice for the life of the car. My previous 2003 RX had the Parchment leather and looked the same with 60,000 plus miles.

Originally Posted by The G Man
The leather on your Rx is bonded already, that means it has a clear coat to resist stain. Parchment interior always have problem with blue jeans, thats why I insist on black or gray interior. Those dealer protetcion package has a mark up of 300 to 400%. Its nothing more than teflon spary on the leather, it will wear off within 6 months. If you have a stain and try to make a claim, they will make you jump thru hoops, make sure you read all the small prints. You need to get some leather cleaner and conditioner and apply it every few weeks or so. Parchment Interior is like black exterior, looks nice when clean but very high maintenance.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-23-11 at 05:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-23-11, 09:58 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

My RX's both had parchment interiors and I experienced no problems other than the regular cleaning that near-white upholstery requires. There may be some issue with the "sealer" that some dealers apply. Back in '82 I had a "polyglycoat" sealer applied to my new Suburban and for years that red interior (heavy-duty vinyl) transferred pigment to my clothes. One very expensive Egyptian cotton custom shirt was ruined by the stain being wicked into the fabric during a three hour drive. I did not seal the interior on my next Sub, so it may be that the sealer is providing a solvent that carries the dye to the light-colored surface. It might be something to consider when purchasing a new car - maybe that sealer is creating a larger problem than it solves.
Old 11-23-11, 12:27 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Ignoring the creative editing in this thread I think it comes down to the care and also the batch of skins put on the seats. I doubt the Sales Manager at the Lexus dealer would steer me clear of parchment saying that it was a common problem of denim dye... not just any dye but denim dye... coming off on the seats. So somewhere in the middle there lies the truth. I know a ton of Nissan Maxima owners who've experienced zero issues yet I know at least two Infiniti owners who've had problems. After a thorough cleaning and "dealer magic" along with a prescribed care card they've been fine thusfar.

Quick Reply: YIKES!!! Stain on seats