RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sales guy wasn't blowing smoke after all...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-11, 11:54 PM
AlexB
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sales guy wasn't blowing smoke after all...

I just traded a 3 month old 2011 RX350 for an identically spec'd 2012 because I wasn't happy with the car. While making the deal, my sales rep told me that due to production "refinements" I'd find that the 2012 rode even better. He said that other customers who'd traded from a '10 or '11 to a '12 described the car as "tighter". At the time, I just put it down to him trying to make me feel better, but now that I've got the car and put a few miles on it, he's right - the new model does feel different, and "tighter" is the best description for it. Along with "tighter" though is more road feel - some people might not like that.

I'd speculate that possible changes are tweaks to the shock valving, perhaps suspension bushing material, and recalibrated steering. There's also less engine and exhaust noise at steady throttle and startup.

Also, I don't know whether it's the difference between a Canadian made (the '11 I had) vs. a Japanese car (the '12 I got), but there's less noticable difference in colour between the metal and plastic parts. The car is white, and you could see a colour difference on the spoiler, front and rear bumpers vs. the rest of the car on the '11 version. Japanese cars come with Bridgestone tires, while Canadian made have Michelin (at least Canadian spec cars anyway).

Hopefully time to start enjoying my RX again...
Alex
Old 11-21-11, 06:21 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexB
I just traded a 3 month old 2011 RX350 for an identically spec'd 2012 because I wasn't happy with the car. While making the deal, my sales rep told me that due to production "refinements" I'd find that the 2012 rode even better. He said that other customers who'd traded from a '10 or '11 to a '12 described the car as "tighter". At the time, I just put it down to him trying to make me feel better, but now that I've got the car and put a few miles on it, he's right - the new model does feel different, and "tighter" is the best description for it. Along with "tighter" though is more road feel - some people might not like that.

I'd speculate that possible changes are tweaks to the shock valving, perhaps suspension bushing material, and recalibrated steering. There's also less engine and exhaust noise at steady throttle and startup.

Also, I don't know whether it's the difference between a Canadian made (the '11 I had) vs. a Japanese car (the '12 I got), but there's less noticable difference in colour between the metal and plastic parts. The car is white, and you could see a colour difference on the spoiler, front and rear bumpers vs. the rest of the car on the '11 version. Japanese cars come with Bridgestone tires, while Canadian made have Michelin (at least Canadian spec cars anyway).

Alex
The important thing is "Who much did you get burnt"?

Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-21-11, 06:56 AM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a 2010 450h from the 1st production month of the Gen III hybrid (May 09). Maybe because it's from Japan or because it's an (h) I don't know but it's always felt tighter (screwed together really well) than the loaner 350's I drove. Plus the colors (Starfire Pearl in my case) match perfectly between the plastic bumper covers and metal body.

But very happy you like your new car, that makes any cost worthwhile.

Alex
Old 11-21-11, 07:21 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I read somewhere else in this forum that the 12's were a little better than the 10's. I have thought about trading but with the refresh for 13 coming I think I'll wait. I wish I knew what they did for the exhaust note, that has bothered me since day one. I have the Starfire Pearl from Japan and my plastic parts are a slight shade off from the metal ones. That never really bothered me, it is so slight. Enjoy the new ride and keep us posted if it remains tight and rattle free.
Old 11-21-11, 08:01 AM
2010rx350
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I have a 2010 450h from the 1st production month of the Gen III hybrid (May 09). Maybe because it's from Japan or because it's an (h) I don't know but it's always felt tighter (screwed together really well) than the loaner 350's I drove. Plus the colors (Starfire Pearl in my case) match perfectly between the plastic bumper covers and metal body.

But very happy you like your new car, that makes any cost worthwhile.

why did you have the loaner?
Old 11-21-11, 08:11 AM
jamiec
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My body shop guy pointed out to me the shade difference between my front and rear bumpers compared to the rest of the vehicle. Personally, the difference was so slight I couldn't see the difference. I figured he could tell because it's his job to be able to see variances like that. My RX came from Canada.
Old 11-21-11, 08:30 AM
Cruiter

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Once for service and once for a new OEM w/s replacement due to a stress crack. It was ruled an anomaly.
Originally Posted by 2010rx350
Old 11-21-11, 08:49 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010rx350
Even if you are there for just an oil change they can send you on your way with the loaner (super service). This is why an oil change + tires rotations cost $165 comparing to $80 or so at the Toyota dealer next door.
Old 11-21-11, 10:33 AM
PeterAG71
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the tire difference as well(Japanese with Bridgestone tires, while Canadian have Michelin tires).

I believe refinements in the engine are for the '12 models are for the allowing the utilization of the 87 octane gasoline.
Old 11-21-11, 12:32 PM
AlexB
Rookie

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
The important thing is "Who much did you get burnt"?

Thanks for sharing.
No - the important thing is that I no longer have a car that I'm unhappy with.
Old 11-21-11, 12:49 PM
07LexusGuy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No - the important thing is that I no longer have a car that I'm unhappy with.
Exactly! It's YOUR car
Old 11-21-11, 04:10 PM
AlexB
Rookie

And here it is. Canadian spec 2012 RX350 - Ultra Premium 1 package, Starfire Pearl w/ Parchment interior.

Sales guy wasn't blowing smoke after all...-2012rxext.jpg

Sales guy wasn't blowing smoke after all...-2012rxint.jpg
Old 11-21-11, 04:19 PM
Carver
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is that without a roof rack or is it just lost in the trees? Looks really good, 'course, I'm partial to white RX.
Old 11-21-11, 04:25 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

Alex, nice pictures. Best of luck with the '12. Nothing else matters as long as you're happy
Old 11-21-11, 04:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 160 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver
Is that without a roof rack or is it just lost in the trees? Looks really good, 'course, I'm partial to white RX.
Thinking about a 3rd gen, Carver? They do come in white too

Quick Reply: Sales guy wasn't blowing smoke after all...