RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Scratch Remover Left Paint Cloudy

Old 11-13-11, 09:22 AM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Scratch Remover Left Paint Cloudy

Hi, I have a 2011 Obsidian RX 450h.

I noticed a long scratch on one of the back doors, not deep enough where my fingernail would get stuck, so I thought I'd buff it out. I used Meguire's Scratch X2.0 Fine Scratch and Blemish Remover w/a microfiber cloth and now my paint looks cloudy where I used it !!! The scratch definitely deminished but the cloudiness is way more noticible.

I used this before on other cars w/great results. Then again, I've never owned a black car so I'm wondering what's going on.

Has anyone had this happen? What do you use for fine scratches?
Old 11-13-11, 11:00 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I use mother's scratch remover on my black RX and it seems to do the trick. Do you have any quick detailing spray?
Old 11-13-11, 11:11 AM
tapau
Rookie

No, I don't even know what quick detailing spray is. Please let me know what to get and I'll be off to my auto store before the day is over.
Old 11-13-11, 11:24 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

After the Scratch X, use some wax. I use the Mequier's NXT and it does a great job. I have black Cadillac CTS and have done this with great results. Also, go to the detailing forums and you will get some excellent advice.
Old 11-13-11, 12:31 PM
RXSF

Quick detailing spray is like a spray on wax that usually does the trick in polishing areas that have recently been scratched. It quickly polishes areas you want. I use meguiars detailing spray and it seems to do the job. I am not guaranteeing that this will get rid of the cloudiness but it is a good thing to have on hand. If you have wax on hand try that first.
Old 11-13-11, 02:16 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ScratchX is really good at getting much of the work done. Try waxing now. If that does not work, then you need to get a fine polishing product (less abrasive than ScratchX) and use that product to take out the fine scratches. Then put down your final wax layer. Just go over to the Meguiar's site and read about their polishing products. Always try any polishing product on a small area first, not a big part of the door.

I have never used this product, but it is an example of they type of product you need with a black car (and possibly your current problem):

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...timate-polish/

If you feel that you are in over your head with this problem, remember you can always go down to a body shop and get a second opinion and a quote.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-13-11 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-13-11, 02:57 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Scracth-X is what is called a diminishing abrasive polish. What this means is it starts out as a mild rubbing compound and as you work with it the product breaks down into a finer and finer polishing compound. You need to work it until the product is almost dry then work it some more. Also the product works best ina cool shaded area. Then buff with a new microfiber followed by a good wax or sealant. Hopefully you were able to fix it.
Old 11-13-11, 03:43 PM
RXSF

also never apply scratch remover (or any type of auto product except maybe detailing spray) when the car is dirty. I hope you thoroughly cleaned off the area before applying the scratch remover. You dont want to be rubbing those dirt particles into the paint. Also flip the cloth you were using fairly frequently.
Old 11-13-11, 06:53 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

The clear coat on your RX is very delicate and the combination of the ScratchX and the microfiber cloth has created micro-marring or the haze you have described preventing that beautiful Obsidian paint from shining through the haze.

As UCSB has indicated you need to follow up with a less aggressive product to remove the micro-marring and Ultimate Polish is an excellent choice. I might suggest using a foam applicator to work the Ultimate Polish. The foam applicator will help uniformly distribute the downward force (gentle force) of your fingers.

Work the Ultimate Polish until nearly dry, then wipe off the residue with your multiple folded microfiber. Repeat widening your work area just a bit to blend in with the surrounding untouched area. You may find you want to do the whole car when done as it will look very good. use your favorite wax when all done.

As RXSF has instructed, do not work on a dirty car. Also remember, poor washing habits can leave marks on your car.
Old 11-13-11, 09:27 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Maguire's Ultimate Quick Detailer works for me...............

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...detailertrade/
Old 11-14-11, 04:07 AM
MichaelPea
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another thing to try is to use a glaze on the paint before you wax. With micro scratches, it can help in appearance. It will likely come back after a period of time if you don't get it resolved on the clear itself but you should glaze after polishing before you wax anyway. I had a hawk fly right into the door of my GS and that's the procedure I used and the GS was completely back to normal.
Old 11-14-11, 08:22 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Meguiar's Ultimate Polish is a "Pre-wax Glaze" and should work very well to remove the micro-marring created by ScratchX and work well under a wax or sealant of your choosing, be it Ultimate Wax, NXT Tech 2.0, Gold Class Carnauba Plus or whatever you like best.

Detailers, even Ultimate Quik Detailer, are non-abrasive and while they will enhance shine, provide hydrophobic qualities and generally make the area look good, they will not remove the micro-marring from the ScratchX.

You made smaller scratches removing the bigger scratch, now you need to remove the smaller scratches. You're on the right path, good luck finishing the job.
Old 11-14-11, 12:01 PM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no fix outside of painting. I too tried to remove a scratch. In doing so the last coat "clear coat" was removed. The Clear-coat makes the shine, my paint had a dull spot. nothing worked except the $550.00 to have the dealer respray the entire trunk hatch. Everyone should beware! NO Compound at all on these paint jobs!! You can't spot spray clear-coat, the entire section must be done.
Old 11-14-11, 12:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Like David said, you need a good finishing polish followed by wax. They can be applied by hand but using a PC will make it easier. And make sure you take your time. Good luck.
Old 11-15-11, 04:23 AM
DunWkg
Racer

BlueSurf, your horrible experience could be a valuable lesson for the rest of us. Do you have any photographs of the damaged area prior to the repaint? If you have the time and patience, please post them. Some Lexus paint is very delicate and, from your description, very thin. It would be helpful to many folks to see what you're referring to. Thanks, it could save someone else from a very painful and expensive experience.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch Remover Left Paint Cloudy