RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key detected in vehicle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-11, 05:43 PM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Key detected in vehicle issue

Hi,
This is my first time posting here, but I have found a lot of helpful tips on this forum since joining the Lexus family in Dec 2011. I have a 2011 RX350 that I absolutely adore!! However, over the past week, I have been to my dealership 2x (about to go back for a 3rd visit) for a very annoying problem....
While driving, a message comes up on the dash "Key Detected in Vehicle". The message stays on for a bit, then goes off on it's own. A few times, the message will appear that the back is open, the interior lights come on & the chimes sound. Again, this is while the vehicle is in motion. It seems to happen or be triggered by going over bumps in the road. The dealership replaced the rear door hatch latch & sent me on my way. Unfortunately, on the drive home from the dealership, the message appeared again. I returned it to the dealership & they determined that the hatch was not aligned properly, so their body shop "realigned" the hatch. That "fix" only last one day & the problem resurfaced again.
The problem seems to be with the rear hatch not closing properly or completely sometimes & when the vehicle hits a bump in the road, the system senses the door is ajar or that it's not fully closed, etc, therefore the "key detected in vehicle" message & other times, the latch is not secure & the rear door is not closed, resulting in the "back open" indicator, lights & chimes .
I have googled the problem & interestingly enough, I found the exact same issue listed in the Prius forum. So, obviously it is a Toyota issue, so just wondering if any other Lexus owners have experienced the issue & if so, what was the ultimate fix?
Thanks in advance for any input....
Old 11-10-11, 06:47 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you found us but unfortunately I've never even heard of the problem much less experienced it. Maybe someone else here will know of a similar experience. Good luck.
Originally Posted by KrisA
Hi,
This is my first time posting here, but I have found a lot of helpful tips on this forum since joining the Lexus family in Dec 2011. I have a 2011 RX350 that I absolutely adore!! However, over the past week, I have been to my dealership 2x (about to go back for a 3rd visit) for a very annoying problem....
While driving, a message comes up on the dash "Key Detected in Vehicle". The message stays on for a bit, then goes off on it's own. A few times, the message will appear that the back is open, the interior lights come on & the chimes sound. Again, this is while the vehicle is in motion. It seems to happen or be triggered by going over bumps in the road. The dealership replaced the rear door hatch latch & sent me on my way. Unfortunately, on the drive home from the dealership, the message appeared again. I returned it to the dealership & they determined that the hatch was not aligned properly, so their body shop "realigned" the hatch. That "fix" only last one day & the problem resurfaced again.
The problem seems to be with the rear hatch not closing properly or completely sometimes & when the vehicle hits a bump in the road, the system senses the door is ajar or that it's not fully closed, etc, therefore the "key detected in vehicle" message & other times, the latch is not secure & the rear door is not closed, resulting in the "back open" indicator, lights & chimes .
I have googled the problem & interestingly enough, I found the exact same issue listed in the Prius forum. So, obviously it is a Toyota issue, so just wondering if any other Lexus owners have experienced the issue & if so, what was the ultimate fix?
Thanks in advance for any input....
Old 11-11-11, 04:58 AM
07grIS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's Nov 2011 right now, so this problem is probably something of imaginary nature... J/K

Seriously, never had this issue in my 2 RXs.
Old 11-11-11, 05:56 AM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Ha, obviously, I meant Dec 2010 ;-) & believe me, I wish it was a figment of my imagination!!
Old 11-11-11, 07:34 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a loose wire or connection. Or a bad sensor that lets the car know the door is closed. Good Luck and let us know the outcome, please.
Old 11-11-11, 10:11 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I never had that problem. And we have both a 2011 RX 350 and a 2011 Prius.
Did you do any aftermarket adjustment/ add ons that involves any of the doors?
Or anything like a towing package?
Old 11-11-11, 10:59 AM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers
I never had that problem. And we have both a 2011 RX 350 and a 2011 Prius.
Did you do any aftermarket adjustment/ add ons that involves any of the doors?
Or anything like a towing package?
No aftermarket adjustments or add ons & no towing package. It's so strange. Again, I have had the vehicle since Dec 2010, with this issue just cropping up last week! I have been trying to think of anything that happened to have caused this (something jammed in the door, trying to force it closed, etc). My husband seems to agree with you, MEP7557, that it is something to do with the sensor or wiring.

The dealership/technicians seem just as puzzled... and they seem to be doing everything they can to diagnose, repair, eliminate the issue, but still, it's frustrating .

Thank you everyone, I will certainly post back with the outcome...
Old 11-11-11, 01:07 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Have you tried your other key?
If it doesnt occur, then the problem might be with the key you have now.

If it was an isolated door problem, you should have some notification on your dash as well.
So keep us posted.
Old 11-12-11, 04:47 AM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I did try the other key (was hoping it was as simple as a defective fob) & the problem did exist. I do get a message on the dash display that indicates the back is open, while other times it is just the key detection message. It seems to be related to the power door not closing/latching properly & once the vehicle is in motion & encounters a bump, the car senses that the door is not closed or that it isn't fully latched. My dealer picked up my vehicle yesterday & is supposed to contact me on Monday with a status. I have also contacted Lexus directly & they were happy to get involved since this is the 3rd service visit for this problem. I cannot complain about the attention that both our dealer & Lexus has given to us. I just want the problem to go away! Our fingers are crossed that they will find the little gremlin causing the problem.
Old 11-12-11, 04:07 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear Lexus and your Dealer are responding to this problem. Do you know what your lemon law is in your state? I think here in AZ, 4 times for the same problem and they have to take it back. I hope it doesn't come to that, sometimes you just have to start over.
Old 11-12-11, 09:11 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might try putting some sort of a shim (like foam tape or something) where the hatch hits near the latch. This just might be enough to tighten up the "loose latch". Just a shot in the dark.
Old 11-14-11, 02:29 PM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Our dealership has been working on the car all day today (back to the body shop, too). They are sending it home with the service manager for the evening & will road test it for a day or two to make sure they have removed the gremlin ;-) Sadly, we have investigated the Lemon Law here in MA (part of the reason for contacting Lexus directly). I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but also know we can't live with the issue. Again, thanks for all your replies....I hope to have my "baby" back later this week :-)
Old 11-18-11, 06:14 PM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

So, after 3 visits to the dealership & many days driving loaners, my vehicle was returned home the other day. I am happy to report (knocking wood) that since it's been home, the problem appears to have been fixed The technicians & the body shop seem to think that something had been stuck in the door hinge/latch that caused it to close improperly or that the door was forcefully closed/something was preventing it from closing all the way or knocking it out of alignment (my husband & I have tried to think of anything we may have done to cause this) They adjusted the hatch/latch & this time it seems to be a good fix !! Moving forward, I will make sure that nothing gets near that latch area.

Also, I cannot say enough good things about our dealership (Ira Lexus in Danvers, MA). I know it was a puzzling issue for them to resolve, but they were great with their communication & understanding my frustrations.
Old 11-18-11, 07:08 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sounds like good news for you, I'm sure it will be.

Ya know if you want to load it up with some of those fine MA lobsters and drive south, I have a big pot and some prime COW!!! Just sayin

Originally Posted by KrisA
So, after 3 visits to the dealership & many days driving loaners, my vehicle was returned home the other day. I am happy to report (knocking wood) that since it's been home, the problem appears to have been fixed The technicians & the body shop seem to think that something had been stuck in the door hinge/latch that caused it to close improperly or that the door was forcefully closed/something was preventing it from closing all the way or knocking it out of alignment (my husband & I have tried to think of anything we may have done to cause this) They adjusted the hatch/latch & this time it seems to be a good fix !! Moving forward, I will make sure that nothing gets near that latch area.

Also, I cannot say enough good things about our dealership (Ira Lexus in Danvers, MA). I know it was a puzzling issue for them to resolve, but they were great with their communication & understanding my frustrations.
Old 11-19-11, 04:36 PM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Sounds like good news for you, I'm sure it will be.

Ya know if you want to load it up with some of those fine MA lobsters and drive south, I have a big pot and some prime COW!!! Just sayin

Nothing like a good surf n turf Heading south always sounds good once we start getting bombarded with snow up here I picked up my RX last year on the day after Christmas... in a good ole nor'easter...got to test out her AWD skills on day 1!

Quick Reply: Key detected in vehicle issue