RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Key detected in vehicle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-11, 07:20 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear you have this resolved, I am knocking wood. Nice that your Dealer took care of your problem, not always the case from what I read. Smooth sailing from here.
Old 06-08-12, 09:43 PM
vtec1jk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear KrisA,

I am experiencing identical symptoms on my 2011 RX350. It hasnt been in any accidents and began occurring about 3 months ago. I have been unable to determine the root cause and I havent been able to replicate the issue when I am at the dealership going on road tests.

I was wondering if your issue has stayed resolved or has possibly reoccurred and if you ever found out what the root cause was?
Old 06-11-12, 04:12 AM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi vtec1jk,
Actually, my vehicle was back at the dealership to fix the same issue (4th time) 2 weeks ago. They have determined that it is a faulty rear hatch/latch & a tweaked bushing on the rear door. They replaced all the parts & it seems to be fine, again (knock wood). Thankfully, when they Deove the vehicle, they were able to replicate the issue immediately. The problem definitely seemed to occur when the vehicle would encounter a bump. We are 18 month into our 36 month lease & my husband & I believe that this car certainly has an issue, but since Lexus keeps repairing it, we can't really do too much about it, as far as pursuing the lemon law here in MA. I love the car, but when the issue crops up, it is very frustrating!! I hope this helps you in your attempts to resolve the issue. Again, if you google the issue, it comes up on the Toyota Prius forums, but I seem to be the only other Lexus owner with this issue. Good luck & let us know how it turns out!!
Old 06-11-12, 05:50 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by KrisA
Hi vtec1jk,
Actually, my vehicle was back at the dealership to fix the same issue (4th time) 2 weeks ago. They have determined that it is a faulty rear hatch/latch & a tweaked bushing on the rear door. They replaced all the parts & it seems to be fine, again (knock wood). Thankfully, when they Deove the vehicle, they were able to replicate the issue immediately. The problem definitely seemed to occur when the vehicle would encounter a bump. We are 18 month into our 36 month lease & my husband & I believe that this car certainly has an issue, but since Lexus keeps repairing it, we can't really do too much about it, as far as pursuing the lemon law here in MA. I love the car, but when the issue crops up, it is very frustrating!! I hope this helps you in your attempts to resolve the issue. Again, if you google the issue, it comes up on the Toyota Prius forums, but I seem to be the only other Lexus owner with this issue. Good luck & let us know how it turns out!!
Well, you are NOT the only one. Both of my RX'es have this issue; however, I just turn it off then on again and the message is gone. I saw one time for each vehicle.
Old 06-18-12, 08:29 AM
vtec1jk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
Well, you are NOT the only one. Both of my RX'es have this issue; however, I just turn it off then on again and the message is gone. I saw one time for each vehicle.

Go Huskers, your issue is a one time occurrence where as mine occurs on a regular basis. Initially it was occurring sporadically but has grown to a daily occurrence. The dealership has been unable to determine a root cause either. I have a 2011 RX350 with about 6000 miles on it. The car is just past the 1 year mark and its extremely annoying to hear and see the error message multiple times in a one hour drive.
Old 06-23-12, 06:38 PM
vtec1jk
Driver School Candidate

I dropped my car off at the dealership yesterday and am hoping they can find something. Its such a strange issue and seems to be rare on RX350s which is the strangest part. Hopefully they find something, I will post an update when I have one.
Old 06-28-12, 08:16 AM
KrisA
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi vteck1jk,

I am curious to hear how you make out with this issue. I was at my dealership yesterday for my 20k service & was thrilled to report to them that the "key detected in vehicle" issue seemed to be resolved since their repair last month, Well, I totally jinxed myself: while driving this morning, it happened - AGAIN!!! I am beyond frustrated. I had already investigated the MA Lemon Law & I think this may qualify, especially since it does impair my driving the vehicle. I sent a letter this morning to Lexus, documenting my 4 service attempts, etc. I am convinced that there is something defective with my particular vehicle, as you said, it is a strange/rare issue. It doesn't seem like the technicians KNOW what the problem is, so therefore, they are just trying different things in attempts to solve the issue. I am tired of driving to the dealership & swapping into a loaner, I just want MY car to drive like the quality made vehicle it is supposed to be .... I don't think that is too much to ask!!
Old 06-28-12, 01:04 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I believe this is a software issue rather than a hardware issue. Both times that occurred on my vehicles, I did NOT move the car but instead I turned them OFF then ON and everything is OK.

Our cars are controlled by aliens.......
Old 10-30-13, 08:26 AM
Parker
Driver School Candidate

I'm curious if there is any update on this? I purchased a 2011 about 2 months ago, and it's begun doing this to me, too. The car is at the dealer for service for this for the second time now. Of course, they're unable to find any issues...
Old 10-30-13, 08:42 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

My old Prius did that to me once. I figured out it was the hatch that wasn't closed all the way. I even snapped a picture, as this message made no sense at the time.
Attached Thumbnails Key detected in vehicle issue-07022011637.jpg  
Old 10-31-13, 09:59 AM
ehfour
Driver School Candidate

Had this issue twice, happened when the dealer was showing me how to start the car if the fob ever lost all battery

Held the key against the start button till the light turned green and good to go

Second time, battery swap fixed it

It's been about a month without the warning reappearing
Old 10-31-13, 11:00 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i USED to have this problem on the 2011 RX 350 and the 2011 Toyota Prius.

and after endless trips to the dealer, here's what i gather.

1. battery issue
2. having 2 Key FOBs ( 2 different cars) close to each other, i always have 2 key FOBs with me.

and NOW, it's a thing of the past.
Old 10-31-13, 06:04 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
i USED to have this problem on the 2011 RX 350 and the 2011 Toyota Prius.

and after endless trips to the dealer, here's what i gather.

1. battery issue
2. having 2 Key FOBs ( 2 different cars) close to each other, i always have 2 key FOBs with me.

and NOW, it's a thing of the past.
For the above two, you will get "Key Not Detected" message, not "Key Detected In Vehicle" message. I experienced the Key Not Detected when my in law 2012 RX350 key FOB was also in my 2011 RX350. There is a TSB for this.

"Key Detected In Vehicle" happens when an operator tries to lock the front doors while the key is inside the car. It's in the manual. Must be a firmware bug.
Next time when it happens, unlock the doors with the driver door switch to see if the message would go away.
Old 10-31-13, 06:20 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ you're absolutely right! It was Key not detected.
Old 12-07-13, 07:34 AM
Jay1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Key issue

I have occasionally seen the key detected in vehicle warning in my 2013 RX350 but it has not been an inconvenience. The key two key issues that bother me are the price of a replacement and the rack you can,t lock the car and leave it running while going in a convenience store for a couple of minutes.

Quick Reply: Key detected in vehicle issue