RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

ECO leaf shaped light?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-11, 06:21 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECO leaf shaped light?

Am absolutely LOVING my new 450h!! Especially the navigation and bluetooth. It is FAR superior to the system in my former Lincoln Lemon. Unfortunatley, it has rained every moment since I picked it up Monday - so a wash is imminent. :-) But am curious about the leaf shaped ECO light on the display. The manual indicates that should light if I'm driving economically. When I test drove a 450h (not the one I now own) the light came on frequently. But I have yet to see this on my new car. What has to happen for it to come on?
Old 11-09-11, 06:35 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

While I do not have the hybrid I was told this feature can be turned on/off. There is a discussion about it here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...t-problem.html

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-11, 06:38 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

1st, congratulations on your new car. It will continue to amaze and dazzle you as you become more familiar with it's features.

RE: the green lights, there are two. One will come on and off to indicate you're driving economically, but generally if you accelerate out of the green area you won't see it.

The other one designates you have the ECO mode set. You do that from the steering wheel functions on the right side. I could explain it but it would make more sense to you if you do it with your manual while still in your driveway. There are a host of complex features you can perform but one of the biggest ones is the 'art of driving a hybrid'. To get the most from it you'll probably have to adapt a new driving style of lighter acceleration and steadier cruising at speeds not greater than the speed limits. After a while it's easy and actually more fun.

Enjoy
Originally Posted by Fiddledd
Am absolutely LOVING my new 450h!! Especially the navigation and bluetooth. It is FAR superior to the system in my former Lincoln Lemon. Unfortunatley, it has rained every moment since I picked it up Monday - so a wash is imminent. :-) But am curious about the leaf shaped ECO light on the display. The manual indicates that should light if I'm driving economically. When I test drove a 450h (not the one I now own) the light came on frequently. But I have yet to see this on my new car. What has to happen for it to come on?
Old 11-09-11, 06:41 AM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Jim - I actually tried turning the ECO mode on and off, and that doesn't have any effect on the leaf light. It hasn't come on at all, no matter how I drive. I've been experimenting just to see... The needle has stayed in the green area on the 'dial' display. It's just that the green leaf has never come on.
Old 11-09-11, 10:38 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

It is probably turned off because it should always be lit when the tach needle is in the green zone. Trust me on that it isnt very useful because its just a light to tell you if you are in the green area and you already have eyes to see that.

Be in park, press and hold the menu button on the steering wheel (this opens up a new customization menu), find the setting to switch it on or off
Old 11-09-11, 01:12 PM
Fiddledd
Driver School Candidate

Got it! Thank you!!!
Old 08-20-12, 07:36 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love this forum. I was just trying to figure this out and didn't see anything in the manual about pressing and holding the menu button. Thanks much!
Old 08-20-12, 11:04 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats on the RX!
Old 08-21-12, 04:05 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default ECO Dash Indicator?

Perhaps this was changed in 2013. I don't have the leaf indicator. I do have ECO MODE - it's a green verbal indicator in photo 1. There is, however, something similar in the 2013 Rx450h but it's not a green indicator light. There is normally a blue-tinted "mask" area around the Multi-Information Display (photo 1). If you select Sport Mode it's a red mask (photo 2). When the Hybrid System Indicator is not in the Power/White area the blue "mask" is visible; when you're in the Power area or stopped that blue mask disappears (photo 4). In Sport Mode the red mask remains whether stopped or in the Power range.

There's also the EV mode switch for battery-only operation (photo 3). No mask is visible in EV mode.

photo 1

photo 2

photo 3

photo 4

Last edited by TexasRxh; 08-21-12 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-21-12, 05:40 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ well prior to 2013, there was an eco shaped leaf that glows during slow acceleration