RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why no DIY forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-11, 01:16 PM
Paiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why no DIY forum

Hi, I'm new to this forum and joining because I would like to see DIY, and of course I am RX 350 owner.
So like in other forum i see a sub forum for DIY and such, but how come there is any here?
Old 10-31-11, 03:56 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I think that if you search around, there's only a few post about DIY, not enough warrant to have a sub forum. Most post are usually problems or don't know what to do.

It would be a good idea if all of the DIY post be on one sub forum to save members from searching. But then again, the search feature isn't being used to it's potential.
Old 11-06-11, 01:18 AM
Paiser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by happy1977
I think that if you search around, there's only a few post about DIY, not enough warrant to have a sub forum. Most post are usually problems or don't know what to do.

It would be a good idea if all of the DIY post be on one sub forum to save members from searching. But then again, the search feature isn't being used to it's potential.
I just got discharged out of the army and my job was a mechanic
only thing i really don't like about my RX350 is that under the hood, everything is covered in plastic. I know I can get rid of them-but i don't want to destroy the stupid push bolts-because i know if I attempt to do so I'll break at least half of them. I wish they were screw push bolts so you can just remove it with a screw driver but Lexus sure wants to hide everything. I know the plastic is there for noise reduction
Any ways if I ever need to do some work on my RX350 i'll post a DIY
Old 11-06-11, 01:58 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have only removed the black plastic push pins for the covers for the battery compartment (it is in the back liftgate area under the floor), but they were designed to be easy to take out and put back in ... I suspect the ones in the engine area are the same type of design. You can buy all of these fasteners online. I purchased several of the fasteners required for my prior Lexus.

I think that the reason there are not a lot of DIY posts yet is because our cars are new and under warranty. Lexus gets to do the repairs for us. Also, just last week I used up my last free maintenance service on my 2010. People are not paying for any maintenance until their cars have 15,000 miles (or are 1.5 years old). As these cars get older and start to drop off of warranty support, I am sure that we will see a lot of DIY. Until then, there are some good topics ... like how to swap out a cabin filter ... that would be easy and save people unnecessary expense. I am not going to cut any corners on my warranty or maintenance because I need to make sure that my hybrid batteries are fully covered for the 10 years (I think it is 10 years?) they are under warranty.

Maybe people could list some topics that would make sense for good DIY threads. I will start with the suggestion that one good topic is the cabin air filter replacement. There is a tire thread that is good and should also be a topic owners need to reference at some point in time.

Last edited by UCSB; 11-06-11 at 01:06 AM.
Old 11-10-11, 01:00 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I'd like to do one in the near future, and also for the second generation forum. I set up one for the RX300 or 1st generation awhile back, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...x300-diys.html and it's quite popular (I get a lot of comments from people all over the world in private messages and on the forum itself even from Toyota Harrier owners and I also encourage people to add on to other DIYs, even my own with additional tips, tricks, compliments, complaints (I'm not always right and I've gotten some steps missing sometimes because I forgot to take a photo).

When I set up the DIY thread for the 1st generation, I combed through a lot of threads I had seen in the past and solicited them from other members who had remembered them.

Perhaps over the Thanksgiving holiday when I have some more time, we can set up DIY threads for the two subforums and then move forward from there.
Old 11-10-11, 01:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Additionally, even though these vehicles are new, I understand that with difficult economic times it may be difficult for people to afford doing basic maintenance whether it's dealer, independent or even yourself personally, so I do see the need for this.
Old 11-10-11, 01:31 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The 3rd gen owners manual has a nice section devoted to DIY stuff including basic maintenance items. I'm sure some people here can chime in with what they want to see and/or contribute.
Old 11-11-11, 07:39 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kitlz
The 3rd gen owners manual has a nice section devoted to DIY stuff including basic maintenance items. I'm sure some people here can chime in with what they want to see and/or contribute.
I've seen those sections improved in the owner's manuals for Lexus/Toyota vehicles over time. It's nice to see that for a change.

Incidentally, I own the RX300 Service Manual (that's a two volume book and it's not cheap) that goes into great detail, but sometimes I find procedures in the book cumbersome or not as well-explained (understandable since my 1999 manual was only two years after the initial Toyota Harrier was released in the 1997 model year). Even then, there's always things that come up from experience over the years (and I'm sure Lexus techs and independent Lexus mechanics find these things, too), which is another good reason to have a DIY section.
Old 11-11-11, 07:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
Incidentally, I own the RX300 Service Manual (that's a two volume book and it's not cheap) that goes into great detail, but sometimes I find procedures in the book cumbersome or not as well-explained (understandable since my 1999 manual was only two years after the initial Toyota Harrier was released in the 1997 model year). Even then, there's always things that come up from experience over the years (and I'm sure Lexus techs and independent Lexus mechanics find these things, too), which is another good reason to have a DIY section.
I definitely agree with you there after having one blinker bulb incorrectly identified and the instructions for removing the DRL cover on the sparse side in the owners manual. I'd rather have the benefit of more information than less. So far we have had a few threads on interior/exterior light bulb changes, one or two oil changes, something on the cabin filter, and other minor stuff. I give big credit to a few people here who have figured these things out and made it easier for the rest of us.
Old 11-11-11, 08:08 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by kitlz
I definitely agree with you there after having one blinker bulb incorrectly identified and the instructions for removing the DRL cover on the sparse side in the owners manual. I'd rather have the benefit of more information than less. So far we have had a few threads on interior/exterior light bulb changes, one or two oil changes, something on the cabin filter, and other minor stuff. I give big credit to a few people here who have figured these things out and made it easier for the rest of us.
The bulb changes are one of the biggest pains on the 1st generation and the manual definitely doesn't hit this on the head right.
Old 11-11-11, 10:28 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

How much does the factory Lexus RX repair manual cost? I couldn't find it on Sewell Lexus website. Does such book exist?
Old 11-11-11, 10:31 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
How much does the factory Lexus RX repair manual cost? I couldn't find it on Sewell Lexus website. Does such book exist?
For me it was about $200 new at the time (back in 2002) for my RX300, not sure what they're retailing for now, you'd have to call them up to find out. Occasionally, I see used ones on ebay, craigslist and other places for 1st and 2nd gen.