RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

My first SUV is a 450h & hating the NAV override

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-11, 07:19 AM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My first SUV is a 450h & hating the NAV override

Just moved into my first SUV, it's a 2011 RX450h and it's my first Lexus. I am CAR kinda gal. Currently letting go of my 2006 Audi A6 fully loaded w/nav, heated seats in front and back, power sunshade (I live in FL) and every option that was available in 2006.

But here I am in an SUV ... let hope I get used to it cause I'm not liking it too much. My sister has 2 RXs 2004 & 2012 ... SHE LOVES THEM !!!

Anyway, the Audi nav itself wasn't so great (then again it's 2006 & they've updated to harddrive since then) but the way to change around the different screens (phone/nav/radio/cd/etc) is absolutely fantastic. I'm very dissapointed in this whole naviation override thing and have been reading all of the info on the prestigious society override. If I understand correctly I have to allow the override (by pushing a button, or now the radio volume) and then do whatever I want on the phone/CD/etc menus and then turn the override off to continue using the navigation again? Will it go back to where it was (navigating me)?

P.S. One good thing about this SUV ... you guys are the best and I don't have to take it into the Audi dealer for a simple bulb change.
Old 10-30-11, 10:07 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have not even got my 450H yet but I have a Prestige override sitting on my desk ready to put in. Everything I have read told me that I was going to want to put this in. Now that it works without a switch was what it took to sell me.

Full compliment of LED bulbs... check
LED fog lights .... Check
Prestige override for nav .... check

I think I am good to go.
Old 10-30-11, 10:48 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I dont know why everyone gets on Lexus' case about this when other manufacturers have navi lock outs too. I cant enter destinations when Im driving in the mercedes either. Granted, Lexus takes it to a higher level. The audi lets you completely enter destinations while on the move?
Old 10-30-11, 02:49 PM
tapau
Rookie

The first time you try to use the nav in the Audi while moving you will get a warning screen, you accept the warning and then you have full functionality to everything until the car turns off.

PlusAudi has buttons for Nav, Tel, FM, CD, etc. right around the shifter. So lets say you finish a phone call on your bluetooth you just have to push the specific screen you want and it will take you there. On the lexus you have to go back to the main menu screen, click on audio, and then click on CD. It's just a few extra steps that I'm sure I'll get used to.
Old 10-30-11, 03:29 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Tapau
Congrats on your new acquisition, it's a great car. RE: override, it's the sign of the times. 2006 is gone and 2010 and up is in. Manufactures for safety reasons are being forced to lock out distracting features while moving. You don't like it but probably have to admit there's no difference between using them and texting which we all admit is bad. On the plus side, you can use the voice commands while driving, I do it often. Actually when you get used to it, using the voice command is much easier than manually keying in all the info.

Tell us more about your car and post photos, trip mileage, etc

Originally Posted by tapau
The first time you try to use the nav in the Audi while moving you will get a warning screen, you accept the warning and then you have full functionality to everything until the car turns off.

PlusAudi has buttons for Nav, Tel, FM, CD, etc. right around the shifter. So lets say you finish a phone call on your bluetooth you just have to push the specific screen you want and it will take you there. On the lexus you have to go back to the main menu screen, click on audio, and then click on CD. It's just a few extra steps that I'm sure I'll get used to.
Old 10-30-11, 05:18 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Same with Nissan. Guess it all depends on their attorneys.
Old 10-30-11, 07:49 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Plus Audi has buttons for Nav, Tel, FM, CD, etc. right around the shifter. So lets say you finish a phone call on your bluetooth you just have to push the specific screen you want and it will take you there. On the lexus you have to go back to the main menu screen, click on audio, and then click on CD. It's just a few extra steps that I'm sure I'll get used to.
On the Lexus, can't you just push the "CD" button on the front dash panel? (I haven't tried the scenario, so I can't say whether it works or not.)
Old 10-31-11, 04:55 AM
Cruiter

Default Just a learning process, it's not like all the past cars.

The biggest problem folks have with operating all the new features of the RX is just taking the time to sit behind the wheel with the manual and getting to know all the functions. Almost everything can be operated multiple ways and from the drivers perspective it can be very easy. In fact it was re-designed to be better than cars of the past you're probably used to.

There has been so much discussion for instance on overrides for the NAV system because people seem bent on doing things that border on texting while driving as far as feature operation. Actually almost all of those can be done by just learning the system and telling the NAV system (while driving) "Destination" than just follow the verbal prompts w/o ever taking your hands off the wheel or eyes off the road. And it's easier than manually entering everything.
Some things can't and shouldn't be done while driving like programing various features. Nobody can truthfully say they're a good enough driver that programing complex features won't distract them while driving. I applaud Lexus for making some features unavailable while driving the car.

Just spend the time it takes with the books and you'll learn more than you'll ever learn just experimenting.

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-31-11 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-31-11, 06:39 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

I agree with Cruiter. If we get caught programming our navigation systems while on the move in Ontario or talking on our cell phones without Bluetooth it costs us between $100-$500 depending on the judge's mood. I'm sure someone will sue Audi or Nissan when they crash while programming their nav after ignoring the warning screen. Then they will adopt the Lexus/Toyota system. Voice command programming is OK here though.
Old 10-31-11, 08:10 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I too agree with Jim and what kwbuggy has said. There's folks unable to walk and chew gum at the same time texting and driving. Unfortunately, multi-tasking while driving is becoming (or rather, all ready is) the normal.

For me, eDestination and Enform are still the easiest and perhaps safest methods to enter a destination.
Old 10-31-11, 12:38 PM
Cruiter

Xman that's an argument a lot of people use but it's still unnecessary. If some people insist on manual programing (I don't know why they would, it's harder) then just do it before the trip. How much later will it make you anyway? And you have to admit it's safer.

If you have your iPod plugged in through the USB, then the driver or the passenger can select music with the mouse and it works well. Still no problem.

IMHO, there isn't a suitable argument good enough to warrant distraction. And tho I'm not tall, I'll stand flat footed and say that to anybody !!! And if they're that much taller I'll jump up and down to get the message across

BTW, has everyone noticed the new emocons in the [more] section ???

Originally Posted by The X Men
What about the passenger programming the Navi while the vehicle is moving, why does Lexus lock the out passenger as well?

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-31-11 at 12:47 PM. Reason: word choice
Old 10-31-11, 12:56 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

tapau, welcome to CL. to override the navi, consider getting the prestigious society navi override kit. it works.
Old 10-31-11, 01:23 PM
Paiser
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Switching from a A6 to a RX450h is a big change, the A6 will handle much better of course. I think every Lexus owner hates the Navi lockout, but Toyota thinks they know what is best for us. Its a example of a car company letting their lawyers design their car instead of their engineers.
We have both the 2011 RX450h and the 2011 A6, they are sure different. My wife likes to take my car out once a while to blow off some steam and I use the RXh when I need the cargo space for a Home Depot run. The POI list on the RX is much better than the Audi's. Both control system are about the same as far as ease of use, you just have to get use to the Lexus' mouse system and the screen layout. I never had the override before so I cant help you there, but the voice command works pretty good for entering destination on the go. I just dont like the idea of talking apart my dash on a brand new car.
I agree, and I have no Navi on my RX350. I think Audi drivers are a$$hol3$ and that generally stereotyping audi drivers. I know that sorry for the harsh comment. (BMW drivers think they are racing drivers and audi drivers think their better then BMW drivers LOL)
You have to think that toyota had that carpet acceleration that 4(i think) people died because of it. So toyota reputation sunk down a little bit so I can see why toyota is trying to UP the safety
Old 10-31-11, 02:24 PM
Cruiter

I don't have Enform either. I key the button on the steering wheel for the NAV lady and when prompted say "destination', then city, then street, then number and it picks my route. Hey, I learned that reading the manual .

But I can't help you with a programing 'or not' passenger, you're on your own there BuBa .

I've put a thumb drive into mine before as well, it works the same way with the mouse but not nearly as well as my iPod, it's my preference.

I'm just saying, for those that have to have it, prestige has a pretty handy gadget but I just don't see it's necessity if you learn all the built in capabilities. And could the next radio system upgrade nullify the prestige gadget ??? I don't know but I'd hate to have one that doesn't function after a Lexus upgrade or not be able to take an upgrade because of that.

I'm kinda for easy and safe and I think Lexus did a heck of a job. Is it perfect? Nope, no system ever will be for everyone, it's just the nature of personal preference, but I think they did a pretty good job.

Manual programming? Is there a auto navi destination programming? If you are talking about Enform, many owners do not plan to subscript to it. If I have a passenger in my car, I usually just take off and let my passenger program in the destination, it saves 5 mins of time and gas while idling. Sometimes I need to change detination in mid route or look for a POI. Its dangerious to pull over in the middle of the highway just to do that and it waste a lot of time getting off an exit and getting back on.
I dont use a IPod, I use a USB thumb drive for my music. My passenger cannot even change the page or folder to find a song while I am moving, how stupid is that.
The RX450h is a nice car in many way, but by no mean is it perfect.
Old 10-31-11, 03:31 PM
Cruiter

Entering destination thru voice command works most of the time but not all the time and finding POI with voice command just takes way too long and its hit or miss.
There is a weight sensor on the passenger seat, all Lexus have to do bypass the lockout when the weight sensor is activated. This is a case of a car company getting too big and wants to control more and more. I am sure all the law suits Toyota had doesnt help the case, but how save is save. Pretty soon we wont be able to change the radio station when we are moving.
Xman this is becoming pointless to continue so I'm backing out at this point. I'm sorry you're not satisfied with your car but accidents due to distractions from driving have forced most car companies to take a stand for safety over convenience in some areas. Someday there may even be laws governing such things.

As long as they can continue to do so safely other companies will make go-arounds such as Prestige has done and many people will buy them and be happy. But please don't fault Lexus for trying to make the car safe.

That's about it for me.

Quick Reply: My first SUV is a 450h & hating the NAV override