Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Door would not lock

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-11, 05:54 PM   #1
BatmobileX
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 173
Default Door would not lock

I went to a party this afternoon in a sketchy neighborhood and of all times for this to happen, the doors would not lock! I tried everything, doing it manually and the damn thing would not stay locked. Eventually I just gave up and went to the party and luckily the car was still there when I left.

Can you think of any reason why this would happen? The only thing I am thinking is that I have two sets of keys and I accidentally left the second set inside the car. Could that prevent you from locking the doors for some reason?

By the way, I have done a search on this and haven't found anything.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
BatmobileX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 05:57 PM   #2
UCSB
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 755
Default

I don't think the car will manually lock if a key is inside (but, you can lock it with key electronically from outside with your second key inside). Was your second key inside? If you manually lock the car with a key inside, the doors will not lock and a message will appear in the gauge cluster saying something like the key is detected inside. There should also be a high pitched warning sound.
__________________
2010 RX 450h
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Last edited by UCSB; 10-22-11 at 06:09 PM..
UCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:01 PM   #3
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.
Trader Score: (0)
 
kitlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,221
Default

That plus if it's on or a door is ajar. In either case there should be a warning buzzer. Check the remote battery too.
__________________
Anita

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:03 PM   #4
RXSF
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
RXSF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 9,982
Default

you mean you click lock on the remote and nothing happens ?

and you click lock on the inside door and it locks but quickly unlocks?

no warning message on the dash?
__________________
2011 RX450h, 2002 IS300, 2009 C350
Retired- 2004 RX330, 1999 RX300
RXSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:11 PM   #5
BatmobileX
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 173
Default

It locked but quickly unlocked. Very strange. I wonder if maybe I left it in accessory mode by mistake? But then after 4 hours wouldn't the batter be dead?
BatmobileX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:12 PM   #6
BatmobileX
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCSB View Post
I don't think the car will manually lock if a key is inside (but, you can lock it with key electronically from outside with your second key inside). Was your second key inside? If you manually lock the car with a key inside, the doors will not lock and a message will appear in the gauge cluster saying something like the key is detected inside. There should also be a high pitched warning sound.
When you say manually lock, do you mean lock with the metal key attached to the fob?
BatmobileX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:17 PM   #7
UCSB
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 755
Default

No I mean by pressing the lock button on the inside of the door (I haven't tried the lock area on the outside door handle, but I assume it is the same). How were you trying to lock the car?
__________________
2010 RX 450h
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
UCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:20 PM   #8
BatmobileX
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 173
Default

First I tried pressing that little spot on the door handle. That didn't work so I pressed the button on the key fob. It locked but then when I checked the handle it unlocked. Then I pressed the lock button on the inside of the car (all four doors). Nothing worked. The doors would not stay locked.
BatmobileX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:24 PM   #9
UCSB
Lead Lap
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 755
Default

Was a second key inside?

I think you locked the car with the FOB and they unlocked it when you touched the door handle. You should be able to lock your car with the FOB even if a key is inside.
__________________
2010 RX 450h
2011 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
UCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 06:27 PM   #10
BatmobileX
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 173
Default

Regardless I just tested it in my driveway and it works fine so I am going to assume this was just some flukey thing and hope it doesn't happen again lol.
BatmobileX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 08:12 PM   #11
Cruiter
Moderator
Trader Score: (0)
 
Cruiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 2,588
Default

Could have been one of the three things already mentioned, 2nd key, door ajar, ignition or accessory mode still on. Or one other thing might cause this. Transmission in neutral or any position other than park.
It's hard to fool the computer in these cars, they programed it pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmobileX View Post
Regardless I just tested it in my driveway and it works fine so I am going to assume this was just some flukey thing and hope it doesn't happen again lol.
__________________
Jim Myers

2010RX 450h is my Daily Driver
2014 Stingray keeps my heart rate up Jim's RX450h photos http://www.clublexus.com/forums/memb...er-albums.html
Cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 09:35 PM   #12
djkidkris
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
djkidkris's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: IL
Posts: 109
djkidkris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmobileX View Post
First I tried pressing that little spot on the door handle. That didn't work so I pressed the button on the key fob. It locked but then when I checked the handle it unlocked. Then I pressed the lock button on the inside of the car (all four doors). Nothing worked. The doors would not stay locked.
Sometimes the lock spot on the handle doesn't repond immediately for me as well. I'm not sure why. But from your post you said u locked the car with the key fob and checked the handle. If you stick your hand in the handle when locked by design the car will unlock so you can unlock the door without holding the key fob or with out pressing the button. Perhaps this is why the car unlocked.
__________________

2011 RX350 AWD Tungsten Pearl
Comfort-Premium-NAV-Parking Assist-Roadblock Clearbra-White LED Interior/Exterior Upgrade-4300K Philips Xtreme HID Fogs
djkidkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 09:44 PM   #13
BatmobileX
Driver
Trader Score: (0)
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djkidkris View Post
If you stick your hand in the handle when locked by design the car will unlock so you can unlock the door without holding the key fob or with out pressing the button. Perhaps this is why the car unlocked.
Really, it's supposed to do this? Hmm well how do you ensure that the door is locked if you can't check it? Due to the fact I was in a weird area I wanted to double check the doors.
BatmobileX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 10:46 PM   #14
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)
 
EMSLEXUSRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmobileX View Post
Really, it's supposed to do this? Hmm well how do you ensure that the door is locked if you can't check it? Due to the fact I was in a weird area I wanted to double check the doors.
When I lock the doors, I always lock it from the button located on the inside where the window switches are, because if I lock it from the key remote, I have to open it with the key remote, it won't unlock by touching the outside door handle. If I'm traveling in the middle of the hot summer with my two dogs in tow and stop at the rest area to use the facilities, I leave the car on and lock the doors by using the hidden key that is inside the fob. This allows me to leave the car running with the air condition on, but keeps it locked so no one can get in and steal the car with my pets inside.

I have had the issue come up if I'm running inside somewhere for a few minutes and I take my wallet and my key fob but not my purse, leave the purse in the car and the extra key fob is in the purse, then the door does not stay locked. This happened to me today, as a matter of fact. I usually try and leave the extra fob at home to avoid these issues.

Also, for us ladies with purses, it doesn't take much of a distance to end up with our purses to be far enough away that the fob can't communicate with the car. Lots of times, when I'm putting groceries in the cargo area and come up to the car, I have to make sure I bring the purse close up to the back end of the car. If I leave the purse in the grocery cart, which to me is still pretty close, it usually is still not close enough to open the back tailgate or unlock the car. It seems like there's only a two to three-foot range. But I guess as far as checking if the doors are locked, particularly for the male RX drivers on this site, just touch the door, and if it unlocks, that means it was already locked.

Last edited by EMSLEXUSRX; 10-22-11 at 10:51 PM..
EMSLEXUSRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 10:49 PM   #15
Evitzee
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)
 
Evitzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hill Country, TX
Posts: 3,068
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatmobileX View Post
Really, it's supposed to do this? Hmm well how do you ensure that the door is locked if you can't check it? Due to the fact I was in a weird area I wanted to double check the doors.
All Lexus' built with keyless entry unlock when the fob is dectected alongside either driver or passenger front door, that's a key feature of the design. Sounds like you were locking the vehicle and then trying the door handle which would then automatically unlock the door. You ensure the door is locked by the audible feedback when the button is pushed and/or lights flashing (depends how you have the system configured). Spend some time with the manual, you'll be amazed on what the car can do.
__________________
2006 IS 350 - Tungsten Pearl/black ~ Carbon Fiber trim w/ Momo Combat Evo shift **** ~ NAV/ML/XM ~ Sport Package ~ Ground Effects ~ Lexon Roof Spoiler ~ G-Spiders ~ Race Mesh grille ~ 35% tint
2010 RX 350 - Black Sapphire/parchment ~ Nav ~ Luxury Package ~ Comfort Package ~ Heads Up Display


---------------------------
Evitzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-11, 10:49 PM
 
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2009, 2011, 250, 350, anywaytoopentheautostartonthecarusingthesmallkeyonthefobonmylexusbatteryinthefobisdead, car, door, doors, fob, hidden, key, left, lexus, lock, rx, unlock, walk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there a way to auto-lock? Seeker4 RX - Third Generation 22 03-22-14 07:34 PM
Cold Weather = Rear door won't lock/close 98GS300-2 GS - Second Generation 8 01-31-14 04:36 PM
Third Party Quirk DunWkg RX - Third Generation 8 03-25-12 07:01 PM
Can't lock passenger door DaveMcKenz SC 400/300 12 03-20-12 03:04 PM
Anyone else have issues with sticking door lock key cylinder? O. L. T. IS - First Generation 3 02-15-09 10:16 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:06 AM.

Join ClubLexus
Advertising


Copyright © 2000-2008 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved
Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Terms of Use | JOBS


Get all contact info