RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Who puts plastic mats down on the floor of your RX?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 07:18 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who puts plastic mats down on the floor of your RX?

I gave my cousin a ride in my new RX yesterday and she was aghast that I didn't have plastic mats covering the original Lexus mats. She said the mats will be crapped up within months and they should be protected with plastic mats. I don't know, I think that would look kind of tacky, what do you think? I say just vacuum the Lexus ones periodically and then replace as needed.
Old 10-19-11, 08:37 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I always negotiate with the Lexus dealer for a set of ExactMats. They are thin, have the hole in them for the floor hooks and keep the factory mats in perfect condition. Wouldn't have a car without them.
Old 10-19-11, 09:15 PM
ac921ol
Lead Lap

same rubber here, just ordered tan floorliners and Lexus plastic trunk mat easier to clean, and I get all types weather here.
Old 10-19-11, 09:34 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You guys need to be careful with what you put on top of the mats. Some materials are slippery and you can be in an accident when that happens. The original mats are hooked ( drivers's side) so putting something that can be displaced when the unexpected happens is Dangerous.
Use the mats, replace it when it Gets worn out.
Old 10-19-11, 10:53 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I purchased a relatively inexpensive (but, very nice & plush) set of aftermarket black carpet mats for my 450h. They look very nice (better than the original mats). I just put them over the regular grey Lexus mats when someone is using that spot in the car. Since they were cheap $25 -$40 (I really didn't pay that much attention). I do not have to worry about them and can replace them at the first sign of wear.

I also have a roll of plastic sheeting which is sticky on one side. It is designed to temporarily protect your carpeting. I will put it on my mats, door sills and lower part of my door when I take my car in for service. I will also use it if for any reason I want to protect my car temporarily.

I have a full set of the WeatherTech floor liners that I can put in my Subaru Outback for tough conditions. But,I typically use the regular mats there on daily basis. They are pretty reasonable to replace.

If you don't protect the mats they will become disgustingly dirty pretty quickly. I purchased a new set of mats for my daughters ES and was amazed at how fast they became ruined.

Last edited by UCSB; 10-19-11 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 10:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I put mats on my car. They are Lloyed mats and they looks like this

that said, they were close to $80.

Funny thing is that for about the same price, you get get another set of the Lexus carpet mats on Sewell online with the clublexus discount so now that I think about it, it may just be worth it to replace the original mats when they get old
Old 10-20-11, 04:21 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have similar mats to RXSF but the Rubbertites. They're flat compared to the Lexus ones. Water and snow have never been an issue. Total cost with the cargo area was $130.
Old 10-20-11, 06:14 AM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Your cousin is wrong and you're right. But rather than just vacuuming them, take them out, hose them down, scrub'em clean and reinstall. They'll love you for it--they're not fragile silk. The OEM mats are very durable and completely waterproof. But for some wear on the driver's mat, the original mats in my 2001 GS still look new.

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
I gave my cousin a ride in my new RX yesterday and she was aghast that I didn't have plastic mats covering the original Lexus mats. She said the mats will be crapped up within months and they should be protected with plastic mats. I don't know, I think that would look kind of tacky, what do you think? I say just vacuum the Lexus ones periodically and then replace as needed.
Old 10-20-11, 06:16 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The X Men
The oem floor mats are suppose to protect the carpeting underneath and you guys have aftermarket mats protecting the oem mats that is suppose to protect the carpeting. Where does the layer of protection ends?
I'm with X on this one. I have the original mats in my 2001 RX Silversport and they still look fine. I vacuum them when they're dirty and once a year I give them a full wet scrub down and let them air dry completely before putting them back in. Yes they're no longer 'mint condition' but they are perfectly fine IMO.
Old 10-20-11, 06:39 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Over the years my OEM Lexus mats in both light and dark colors have worn just fine were always able to be vacuumed and cleaned without any issues.

IMHO after6 years in my 03 RX they looked better than new with plastic on top of them . So if you're just getting the plastic for protection you really don't need it.
Old 10-20-11, 09:10 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oem floor mats are suppose to protect the carpeting underneath and you guys have aftermarket mats protecting the oem mats that is suppose to protect the carpeting. Where does the layer of protection ends?
It's like wearing plastic pants over your diapers to better protect your outer pants....

outer pants = carpeting
plastic pants = Lexus mats
diaper = aftermarket mats

I suppose one has to periodically clean his or her plastic pants if he or she doesn't wear any diapers so the outer pants will remain clean....
Old 10-20-11, 10:03 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
It's like wearing plastic pants over your diapers to better protect your outer pants....

outer pants = carpeting
plastic pants = Lexus mats
diaper = aftermarket mats

I suppose one has to periodically clean his or her plastic pants if he or she doesn't wear any diapers so the outer pants will remain clean....
I guess it Depends....
Old 10-20-11, 11:15 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

carpeted floor mats are $88 dollars on sewell lexus without discount. They are $66 dollars with the CL discount. I wouldnt worry about the original mats, they can be replaced pretty cheaply
Old 10-20-11, 11:57 AM
djkidkris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by InRBigness
I guess it Depends....
I see what you did there... LOL

I'm planning on getting weathertech liners as well for winter. I live 5 mins from where the manufacturing and factory showroom facility is located hopefully there is some kind of discount hehe.

FYI If anyone is planning on replacing their OEM mats, Sewell has closeouts on black 4pc carpeted set ($40) and gray cargo carpeted mat ($20) on closeout for 3RXs.

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/closeout.html
Old 10-20-11, 04:38 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't if you wear slippers when you drive.

Quick Reply: Who puts plastic mats down on the floor of your RX?