RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

oil maintenance light

Old 08-15-13, 02:28 PM
CometVR4
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason the oil maintenance light indicator comes on every 5,000 miles is because if you're using conventional oil. The oil change intervals are 5,000. If you're using full synthetic oil, then the oil change is 10,000 miles. Additionally, the tires should be rotated every 5,000 miles anyway so I just take that as a reminder to rotate the tires.
Old 09-03-13, 11:42 PM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to confirm... that the RX350 oil maintenance message is only based on distance traveled since last oil changed and not based on what the computer thinks how hard you've driven the vehicle. I recently got a Dodge company car and it is NOT based strictly on odometer, but rather distance and usage. So I thought I'd ask you smart folks in CL.
Old 09-04-13, 11:05 AM
NJLEXES
Intermediate

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes it is "mileage only".

A 5000 mile interval........
Around 4500 miles, you start to get the warning "OIL MAINTENANCE REQ'D SOON" upon startup with a red light.
It turns off after about 15 seconds.

Once you hit the 5000 mile threshold, it stays on.

This is as opposed to an "oil life" system like ONSTAR. That is more of a complex algorithm which factors in
speed, RPM, temperature, distance driven, etc.

I also wondered why Lexus didn't adjust it to the 10k when they changed over to 0w20 oil and the 10k recommended change interval.

My 10 ES runs 5w30 with a 5k interval so that stays in agreement with the light.
Old 12-11-13, 06:53 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by svofan1
Thanks for clarification and I do have another question....is there a special wrench to remove the oil filter or its cover?....I am getting my feet wet on this since i always did maintain my cars myself but it appears that the RX is somehow different when it comes to the oil filte...
Thaks again..
Yes, there IS a special wrench for the oil filter (thank you, Toyota). You can buy one from Lexus for $50-60 or visit your Toyota dealer and pay 1/2 that. Our Toyota dealer sold me one that is marked "AST TOY 640" for less than $30. It's a small cast aluminum piece that fits over the filter housing and allows you to use a 15/16" socket to remove/replace the filter housing. Extremely difficult to do the job without the stupid wrench.

I always change my oil when it's cold--rather than hot--since I'm doing it in my own garage, and all the oil has drained down into the pan over night. I first remove the drain plug and let the oil drain until no more comes out. I don't bother with that silly little plug on the bottom of the oil filter housing or the little spout thingy that plugs into the hole to drain the filter. I just remove the filter housing with the pan underneath and let the oil dump out. Then replace the cartridge and screw the housing back on.
Old 12-23-13, 07:18 AM
2013rx
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2013 RX maintenance required reset WRONG!

The manual for the 2013 RX procedure for resetting the maintenance required reminder light was wrong, after 20 minutes of doing exactly what it said ( about 10 times) I researched it on the internet here is the procedure that worked the first time

1. Odometer Must be in Trip A display
2. Turn the car off
3. Hold the Odometer button down and continue to hold throught all steps to follow
4. Do NOT put your foot on the brake
5. Push the ignition button twice. Do not hold
6. Watch the display (continue to hold the Odometer button)
7. The Oil Maintenance light will reset after a few seconds
8. FInally, release the odometer button.
Old 12-17-15, 07:17 AM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013rx
The manual for the 2013 RX procedure for resetting the maintenance required reminder light was wrong, after 20 minutes of doing exactly what it said ( about 10 times) I researched it on the internet here is the procedure that worked the first time

2. Turn the car off
3. Hold the Odometer button down and continue to hold throught all steps to follow
I hope this isn't a stupid question but I'm going to ask it because I'm not in a place where I can run out and try these instructions. Does this work for resetting the 30,000 "Maintenance Required" in the display or does this only apply to oil change reminders? I need to get the 30,000 Maintenance Required off my display.

Thanks!
Old 12-18-15, 08:09 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by CoastalRX
My dealer gives free oil changes so I'm happy to keep the 5000 mile interval.

I keep the 5000 mile interval on my other cars even though synthetic allows for more.
yeah i dont go for the 10,000 mile oil changes either.
Old 12-18-15, 10:54 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

klwagoner - it is the same thing you should try the reset, or take it to the dealer. I have over 40,000 on mine and have only ever seen the oil maintenance reminder.
Old 12-30-15, 09:00 AM
818sc400
Lead Lap

I also change every 5k using dino oil
Old 09-01-16, 11:23 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Change Indicator

Hi folks

I can no longer find the thread that saw a few months ago on the topic. This is about manual prescribing 10K mi oil change intervals, but the indicator lighting up after only 5k miles. This is really getting on my nerves. Someone said this is a software issue. Is there a remedy for this?

Thank you
Old 09-01-16, 11:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,089 Likes on 930 Posts

No, Lexus did not change the indicator when they increased the oil change interval as they want you to visit your dealer every 5,000 miles and help their bottom line by overpaying for tire rotations and other more expensive items they may find or invent to deplete your wallet.

The manual tells you how to reset it.
Simply push the odomter button to show trip A, then without your foot on the brake and holding down the odomoter button, hit the start button, you should see the zeros appear on your odometer then go away as the warning is erased and the 5,000 mile countdown reset.
Old 09-01-16, 11:58 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutchless
No, Lexus did not change the indicator when they increased the oil change interval as they want you to visit your dealer every 5,000 miles and help their bottom line by overpaying for tire rotations and other more expensive items they may find or invent to deplete your wallet.
+1. Well put.
Old 09-02-16, 08:02 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Also reset frequency depending on conditions!

Originally Posted by gladiator9
I agree with you, you should know when an oil change is due. Some of the dealers will put a sticker in the front window as well as reset the computer. I make a point of memorizing when the next service or oil change is needed.
Congratulations on your promotion Anita. Your knowledge of the RX vehicles will assist many of us.
Cheers
Jim
I have found those frequency lights useful when we encounter harsh driving conditions! We experience temperature swings of 50+ deg F here in the summers which can be tough on engine components. Also this is the desert southwest which produces dusty conditions. That info on how to chg the indicator lights (I do have NAV) will come in handy even though my 2013 RX cpo came with free oil changes for 2 yrs which I will have done at the dealer
Old 09-03-16, 12:22 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

My service advisor said "We like to see it every 5,000 miles" That about sums it up.
Ray A.

No, Lexus did not change the indicator when they increased the oil change interval as they want you to visit your dealer every 5,000 miles and help their bottom line...Clutchless
Old 02-14-17, 11:39 AM
applemac
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you so much. Worked like a charm!

Perfect! Was driving me crazy!
Originally Posted by 2013rx

2. Turn the car off

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil maintenance light