RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

If there was an F-Sport RX...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-11, 08:00 AM
djkidkris
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If there was an F-Sport RX...

I read an article on lexus enthusiast about a rendered F-Sport RX 350 and the rumor of the possibility of an F-Sport RX or LS in the mere future. If F-Sport parts became available or the F-Sport RX was a reality would you get it or what parts would you wish would come out to install on your 3RX?

Personally I would want lowering springs and Maybe a set of nice F-Sport Rims.

Just creating conversation
Old 10-06-11, 08:13 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm pretty confident (sure really) that everyone won't agree with this, but.... The RX series is different than sporty sedans or coupes. It's intention is to be a flagship luxury SUV of a medium size that can hold itself at the top of the field. And it's doing an excellent job, even in the Hybrid (h) series.

I could see reasons maybe even for the CT and several other Lexus models to put on high performance springs, tires, brakes, engine enhancements, wheel well flairs etc., but IMHO the RX is not a design that would benefit from those add on features.

And in my experience in the retail end of the industry, non-factory options reduce the resale or appeal of the car as a used vehicle dramatically. Most folks just don't want to consider a used car that 'looks' as if it's been outfitted to drive hard.

I've been wrong before and possibly am here but I seriously doubt Lexus will try to turn out a factory F series in the RX line. It probably wouldn't give them the type of exposure they're looking for and would certainly cut into profits for very limited production.

Originally Posted by djkidkris
I read an article on lexus enthusiast about a rendered F-Sport RX 350 and the rumor of the possibility of an F-Sport RX or LS in the mere future. If F-Sport parts became available or the F-Sport RX was a reality would you get it or what parts would you wish would come out to install on your 3RX?

Personally I would want lowering springs and Maybe a set of nice F-Sport Rims.

Just creating conversation

Last edited by Cruiter; 10-06-11 at 08:16 AM. Reason: correction
Old 10-06-11, 08:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Hmm, interesting concept . I'm all for making the RX a bit more sportier - maybe different suspension, rims and interior along with that grill. But I'm not sure it could work on a vehicle that size without looking like a GS clone. Think Venza and Camry.
Old 10-06-11, 09:00 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I'm pretty confident (sure really) that everyone won't agree with this, but.... The RX series is different than sporty sedans or coupes. It's intention is to be a flagship luxury SUV of a medium size that can hold itself at the top of the field. And it's doing an excellent job, even in the Hybrid (h) series.

I could see reasons maybe even for the CT and several other Lexus models to put on high performance springs, tires, brakes, engine enhancements, wheel well flairs etc., but IMHO the RX is not a design that would benefit from those add on features.

And in my experience in the retail end of the industry, non-factory options reduce the resale or appeal of the car as a used vehicle dramatically. Most folks just don't want to consider a used car that 'looks' as if it's been outfitted to drive hard.

I've been wrong before and possibly am here but I seriously doubt Lexus will try to turn out a factory F series in the RX line. It probably wouldn't give them the type of exposure they're looking for and would certainly cut into profits for very limited production.

These are some of my thoughts, too.

I also keep in mind the fact that when there have been components for the RX series that have come out over the years, it's been a tough sell from an in-house aspect. Whenever I go looking for performance parts for my RX (and when others ask me about the 2nd and 3rd generation), I find myself looking first at things independent of Toyota Motor or any of its groups (TRD, TTE, Lexus, etc.) With other vehicles that I know of that I have looked at for friends, I would generally take a look at the factory offerings at the same time, even though I'd still lean the independent route. I've had to design things or take things from other vehicles and modify them to get them the way I want them and then improve on them.

It's one thing to do components, but it's a whole other and more expensive thing to do a whole car around this concept. Keep in mind also that Kaizen concepts look at things such as having long-term suppliers, minimizing or eliminating waste and of course continuous improvement. I always think of that when I wonder why Acura has not done a V8 and sticks to the 4 and 6 cylinder vehicles. Granted, we have had special editions of RXs come out before, Silversport, Coach, Pebble Beach and even unique color schemes to tailor primarily to the American market. If you are going to do something unique, it's going to come at a price to the customer. Take a look at the IS-F as a prime example, great car, but you have to pay for it. However, it's a Lexus and that means great quality.

For me to see this occur, it would have to be a decision that this is something that's going to sell in the long haul...and I mean the concept, not just the vehicle.

Let me put it another way. We can talk about all the great things we would want in an RX-F (power, suspension, aerodynamics, etc.), but at some point if you were designing the car and hearing this, you might just come to the conclusion that you'd incorporate this in the fourth generation RX, or maybe a version 3.5. For instance, head over to www.solaraguy.com and there's a distinction between version 1 of the Solara and version 1.5. Apparently, that got enough interest to make some corrections. Similarly, the RX300 originally started in 1997 as the Toyota Harrier and went from a 2.2. to 2.4 and later 3.0 engine. As many of you know, there were some minor changes from 2001 and afterward and similarly we see that going from the 2004-2006 RX330 to the RX350 in 2007 to 2009. However, at some point you have to decide, do we want to do a 3.5 RXF or do we just want to go ahead and incorporate that into an RX 4.0 and leave the independent parts manufacturers to satisfy those want another option.

It's a cost/benefit exercise in this economy that I am sure Toyota Motor has thought about repeatedly and probably looks at time and time again depending on the circumstances.
Old 10-06-11, 11:34 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

I do not believe in the RX-F rumors but there may be (or will be) a RX-F Sport. This will be similar to the ThunderCloud or the Pebble Beach editions we have had in the past. Also, 2013 might see the refresh with Direct Injection 3.5V6 as the tech has been used in the IS350 and GS350.

I would love to see some Sport in the RX like bigger wheels, dual exhaust outlets, front spoiler and some suspension tweaks.
Old 10-06-11, 12:34 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

RX F-Sport or even LS F-Sport will NOT sell. Look at the demographics of the people who buy those two vehicles. Women and Old white guys. No offense to anyone here, but that is the demo.

Wanna guess who drives the RX in my family?
Old 10-06-11, 01:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Watch out now, I resemble that remark . But when at the service dept, I've seen a lot of them come in driven by guys in the 30's and 40's.
Originally Posted by jtrue28
RX F-Sport or even LS F-Sport will NOT sell. Look at the demographics of the people who buy those two vehicles. Old white guys.
Old 10-06-11, 01:18 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nissan Murano Crosscabriolet.
How many have you seen on the road?
I rest my case.
Old 10-06-11, 01:45 PM
Francis
Pole Position

I think not many people will buy F-sport RX. But not many people buy X5M or X6M either but they are available for sales. So I think Lexus should have F-sport RX.
Old 10-06-11, 01:48 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Times have changed, jtrue. I think an RX-F would sell.

Back in '98, the only other luxury SUV out there was the Acura MDX. The RX entered the market at the perfect time for women like myself who didn't want a truck or a slightly watered down truck. I was looking for a replacement for my Ford Explorer Sport Lemon. Back then, Explorer was number one. What a POS. So I looked around and drove everything except the MDX. Nothing could even come close to the RX.

The fact that women are the primary buyers of the RX is not a coincidence. Now there are plenty of other LUVs out there. If Lexus wants to compete, they need to expand. I say to them, bring on a few more options. And if there's interest, expand upon it.
Old 10-06-11, 03:46 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
RX F-Sport or even LS F-Sport will NOT sell. Look at the demographics of the people who buy those two vehicles. Women and Old white guys. No offense to anyone here, but that is the demo.

Wanna guess who drives the RX in my family?
So glad I finally fit in a demographic, but was the capitalization emphasis on Old necessary...

I liked this at one time: http://lexusenthusiast.com/2009/03/2...-lexus-rx-350/ not anymore. Too many details to detail on a daily driver.
Old 10-06-11, 05:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

X, I could have sworn it looked more like the MDX. I think it had 3 rows too. I wouldn't have gone for something as boxy as the SLX. One bad side of having letters and numbers for a name, can't remember them, except for the RX
Old 10-06-11, 06:03 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the demographics for people who bought and still buying RX has dramatically changed over the years.
I'm a 33 yr old male who drive a number of cars/SUV and RX 350 is one of them.
I have guy friends who drives an RX. None of them fit on the old white guys vs women category.

The same way that you see a lot of men driving Toyota Sienna and Honda Oddysey.
Look at the current advertisements for the said vehicles, they're geared towards the Man in the house.
Even the current generation of the Sienna gives a masculine stance.
Old 10-06-11, 06:21 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

So if it's a sport, does that mean a rough ride?
Old 10-06-11, 09:43 PM
KingStyles
Driver School Candidate

Just because it is a sport doesnt mean it will have a rough ride. My lowered rx on low profile tires has a better ride than my past escalade and it is just barley rougher than stock. The improvment in braking and cornering is well worth it. How rough the ride is depends on how stiff the sport/lowering springs are and how much give the tire sidewalls have.

I would love to see a s series rx and some f series options for sale. Japan has all sort of sports stuff for it that isnt for sale in the states.

Quick Reply: If there was an F-Sport RX...