Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Anyone use Weathertech Side Window Deflectors?

Old 08-14-11, 11:39 PM   #1
ecub
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Default Anyone use Weathertech Side Window Deflectors?

I'm specifically asking about Weathertech's Side Window Deflectors, because these are in channel deflectors.

Anyway, my question is, does it effect (noise wise) the opening/closing of the windows. I've had these on my PT Cruiser and I like it, but I love the way how quiet the windows/open close on the RX, so with the window deflector being in the window channel, it may squeeze the rubber a little more and may cause a little more noise than usual when the opening/closing the window. I don't know, which is why I ask.

Also, do you hear more or less wind noise with it on?

This is what they look like...
Click the image to open in full size.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

Last edited by ecub; 08-21-11 at 11:44 AM..
ecub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 01:13 AM   #2
604hagarr
Driver School Candidate

I have them.

Personally, if given the chance, I wouldn't buy them again.

Only major issue is with the installation of the rear visors.

The instructions provided wasn't useful and wasn't directed to the Lexus RX 350. It was more of a generic installation manual. My rear window visors doesn't hold securely with the mounting hardware provided.

To keep it secured, I used 3M double sided tape along the edges and placed it where they should be.

As for the fronts, no tape required, however both visors seems to be a tad tight around the edges and for a few weeks; when I used automatic up, it would snag and the window would roll back down. Maybe it was a breaking in period because this issue no longer happens.

It's been approximately two months and so far so good on all visors though.

But to answer your question, NO, I don't hear any wind noises due to this visors.

*side note* would have gotten the Lexus OEM visors, however a Lexus shop mechanic mentioned to me that the mounting of the visors were poor and they had many customers coming back with missing visors as it had fallen off. Anyone has OEM visors and this problem?
604hagarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 02:14 AM   #3
ecub
Driver

Thanks for the reply.

The Lexus visors use sticky tape, which is placed on the door. This is why I like Weathertech's, since it's inside the channel. Less chances of it falling out.
Old 08-15-11, 04:29 AM   #4
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

I have the JDM visors. It's been more than a year and a half since they were installed by the dealer. They haven't fallen off. Maybe they weren't installed correctly?

When I looked at the Weathertechs, they were not selling the rear visors because they were working on a fix. It doesn't sound like they came up with a good solution. BTW, I had Weathertechs on my previous RXs. I was pretty happy with them, only one broke in 11 years. It's probably a good idea to add tape like 604hagarr said to minimize movement.

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 04:32 AM   #5
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

I had WeatherTech window visors on my RX and yes, there will be additional wind noise. Not a lot, but you will notice the difference.

2005 RX330 Thundercloud Edition (sold)
redrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 05:51 AM   #6
stw2046
Driver

Had them and returned due to poor fit and loud wind noise when windows cracked open.
Old 08-16-11, 08:38 PM   #7
sweetboy02
Lead Lap

I would love to have them. It's much useful to have them. I had to return it because i installed the pillar trim first so they don't fit.
sweetboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 09:06 PM   #8
ecub
Driver

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should have clarified a little better about the wind noise. When I meant excessive wind noise, I meant when the windows were close, if the wind deflectors made more noise.
Old 08-22-11, 04:02 PM   #9
ecub
Driver

Thanks again for the replies. I purchased them and installed them. I'm probably going to end up returning them. The fronts were too tight, I would hear a clicking when closing the window and at times, the window would not close fully and open up again. The rears are too loose, but works well when using additional double sided sticky tape. The tape that came with the rear wind deflectors didn't really work too well.

2011 RX450h AWD - Sport/Comfort/Premium/NAV/ML/LED/Remote Start/3M film protection (Full body)/LoJack/Tow package w/receiver

2003 ES300 - Traded-in for RX450h
2002 ES300 - Totalled
Old 08-22-11, 04:12 PM   #10
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

I guess Weathertech didn't fix the rear visors. And the front should not interfere with the windows like that.

Time to get the JDMs

2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
Old 08-22-11, 05:23 PM   #11
ecub
Driver

No offense, I just don't like the look OEM/JDM externally mounted window deflectors, which is why I preferred the in-channel one. I had a similar choice when I had my PT Cruiser. The in-channel Weathertech fit perfect and did not effect the window from closing. It's just rather strange Weathertech hasn't made any modifications to resolve the issues with the RX. Maybe having enough people return them will let them know they don't fit well.

2011 RX450h AWD - Sport/Comfort/Premium/NAV/ML/LED/Remote Start/3M film protection (Full body)/LoJack/Tow package w/receiver

2002 ES300 - Totalled
Old 08-22-11, 05:51 PM   #12
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

Ed, I have to ask, did you install the Weathertechs and let them sit for a few hours with the windows closed? If you did and still had problems, just send them back. It's a shame because I don't think you have another option.

No offense taken BTW

2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
Old 08-22-11, 08:14 PM   #13
604hagarr
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecub View Post
Thanks again for the replies. I purchased them and installed them. I'm probably going to end up returning them. The fronts were too tight, I would hear a clicking when closing the window and at times, the window would not close fully and open up again. The rears are too loose, but works well when using additional double sided sticky tape. The tape that came with the rear wind deflectors didn't really work too well.
too bad you were warned

the front does take time to adjust and I don't have that problem anymore.

as for the rear, w/ the right tape, they're pretty secured, however if someone came up to my car, a strong tug and I'm sure it'll come off.
604hagarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-11, 12:50 PM   #14
ecub
Driver

I know I was warned, but I thought they would have fixed the issues by the time I got them. Although the fronts would probably take time to adjust and eventually close, the clicking is what was annoying. I'd also be worried about the rears eventually falling off or someone removing them. I think the car wouldn't look right with the fronts only. Weathertech (aka MacNeal Automotive) isn't that far, so returning them isn't an issue.

2002 ES300 - Totalled

Last edited by ecub; 08-23-11 at 01:00 PM..
Old 06-03-13, 12:16 PM   #15
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

I have problems with WeatherTech's rear windows visor too.
I ordered the whole set (front & rear).
When it came, only the 2 shorter side of the rear piece had double-sided tape on, none is on the longest side, the package came with the clipper that it cannot fit on a RX; and without a doubt, the tapes on the 2 shorter side couldn't hold the visor in place (after leaving the windows closed for 72 hours)

I called weather tech to order some more tapes (no charge). Went back and taped all 3 sides of the rear visor/deflector with the auto-grade double sided tape they sent me, set for 24 hours before putting on the rear windows channel, let it set for another 72 hours...low and behold, the pieces still fall, not right away when I opened the windows, but a little tap on the deflector did it.

======

As last attempt.
I bought the 3M auto grade double side foam tape; I will try to use this on the longest side of the rear deflector to see if it does the trick to hold the rear piece in place firmly without falling
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotc.../dp/B002JOVUO0

I haven't gotten a chance to try it on yet, and I don't know if the foam tapes' thickness will cause problem closing the window.

I hope that the 3M foam tape will do the trick to hold the rear pieces up securely.

Side Note: I used Weather Tech windows deflector on my toyota also, the rear pieces held up securely, perhaps it's the design of the Rx's windows channel.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 12:16 PM