RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Weathertech Side Window Deflectors

Old 04-25-12, 04:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I had the WeatherTech visors on the previous RXs. Installation can be scary. They need to be bent to get in the window channels. Afterwards, WeatherTech advises leaving the windows up for a few hours to set them in place. They needed an occasional gentle push up at times because they moved. Not often though. Only one broke after a few years. It may have been my fault. I probably pushed the wash mitt underneath the rear visor too hard to clean underneath.

I would have gotten them for the 450h but the rears were not available back then. So I went with the JDM visors instead. Couldn't be happier.
The following users liked this post:
Leddy (04-04-17)
Old 04-25-12, 08:01 PM
LG1982
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rs-w-pics.html

Here is a link that may be helpful. The install on WeatherTechs seem scary, but it's nothing to worry about. The material they use is good quality. The only down fall I’ve seen was that the rear deflectors tend to loosen up at times. The JDM visors are the way to go, but everyone knows how expensive they are.
Old 04-25-12, 09:19 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LG1982
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rs-w-pics.html

Here is a link that may be helpful. The install on WeatherTechs seem scary, but it's nothing to worry about. The material they use is good quality. The only down fall I’ve seen was that the rear deflectors tend to loosen up at times. The JDM visors are the way to go, but everyone knows how expensive they are.
Awesome, thanks my friend. I guess it's worth the try since it cost so much less compare to the JDM one and that is about as much as I want to pay for a set of visors.
Old 11-08-12, 08:11 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default where oh where

Tugerr, where did you get those cool lexus decals you put on the visor?
Old 01-28-13, 10:58 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lexus jdm visor is pure look and 95% useless. I know cuz i have one on my IS350 and the look of above jdm visor for RX feels the same way...
Old 01-28-13, 05:40 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
Tugerr, where did you get those cool lexus decals you put on the visor?
he said at one of those carts at the mall.
Old 01-28-13, 06:11 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually getting a price on JDM visors from a friend in Japan. Curious about the markup. Bought a set back in 07 for my 03 GS300 and I got it for $75. Cost in the states was $150 at the time.
Old 06-03-13, 11:16 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

I have problems with WeatherTech's rear windows visor too.
I ordered the whole set (front & rear).
When it came, only the 2 shorter side of the rear piece had double-sided tape on, none is on the longest side, the package came with the clipper that it cannot fit on a RX; and without a doubt, the tapes on the 2 shorter side couldn't hold the visor in place (after leaving the windows closed for 72 hours)

I called weather tech to order some more tapes (no charge). Went back and taped all 3 sides of the rear visor/deflector with the auto-grade double sided tape they sent me, set for 24 hours before putting on the rear windows channel, let it set for another 72 hours...low and behold, the pieces still fall, not right away when I opened the windows, but a little tap on the deflector did it.

======

As last attempt.
I bought the 3M auto grade double side foam tape; I will try to use this on the longest side of the rear deflector to see if it does the trick to hold the rear piece in place firmly without falling
http://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotc.../dp/B002JOVUO0

I haven't gotten a chance to try it on yet, and I don't know if the foam tapes' thickness will cause problem closing the window.

I hope that the 3M foam tape will do the trick to hold the rear pieces up securely.

Side Note: I used Weather Tech windows deflector on my toyota also, the rear pieces held up securely, perhaps it's the design of the Rx's windows channel.
Old 06-03-13, 01:34 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

CodeRed, I hope your fix works. Weathertech had issues with the rear deflectors when they first came out as previously mentioned. Strangely enough no problems on previous RXs. They had single strips of tape on all sides. Guess that isn't possible on the 3RX since it has a strange angle.
Old 06-03-13, 06:47 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
I have problems with WeatherTech's rear windows visor too.
I ordered the whole set (front & rear).
[snip]
...the package came with the clipper that it cannot fit on a RX;
[snip]
The clips fit just fine, they push the rear piece up against the window channel and hold the rear visor pretty secure.
Weathertech included small metal tool to help with clip installation.
Old 06-04-13, 03:46 PM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
CodeRed, I hope your fix works. Weathertech had issues with the rear deflectors when they first came out as previously mentioned. Strangely enough no problems on previous RXs. They had single strips of tape on all sides. Guess that isn't possible on the 3RX since it has a strange angle.
I certainly hope so too
I still haven't gotten a chance to prepare the rear piece with foam tape yet, I will post the end result here if it works.
Old 06-04-13, 03:57 PM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gklatv
The clips fit just fine, they push the rear piece up against the window channel and hold the rear visor pretty secure.
Weathertech included small metal tool to help with clip installation.
Do you mind taking a picture or two with those metal clips in place (in the windows channel)?
It does come with the metal piece but I misplaced it along with the metal clips in the plastic bag (Doh!!)

The diagrams show the clips being installed on a small sedan-like vehicle with exposed rubbers that you can pull down and slide the clips in-between, I don't find it on the 2013 RX and the way it is designed, it didn't seem like I can install the clips the way it is shown in the diagrams.
I did try to push the metal clips into the channel though; but I didn't wanna break anything and also worried that the clip may cause scratches/cuts on the glass, so I didn't try to push it in hard.
  • I didn't use the metal clips partly because I also had WeatherTech on my 4Runner; the package also came with the metal clips but I didn't have to use them (and the rear deflectors have tapes on all 3 sides), 3 years later and they are still securely in place.

I'd appreciate the pictures, so that I can try again before going for the 3M foam tape option.
Old 06-04-13, 07:09 PM
gklatv
Driver

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Do you mind taking a picture or two with those metal clips in place (in the windows channel)?
I tried taking pictures in the garage, but it didn't work - too dark even with the flash.
I will try again tomorrow, that time will be outside. It's difficult to take a half decent picture of those clips (2 per each rear deflector). They are small and are deep in the rubber window channel. Dark deflector blocks most of the light there.
Old 06-05-13, 08:33 AM
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gklatv
I tried taking pictures in the garage, but it didn't work - too dark even with the flash.
I will try again tomorrow, that time will be outside. It's difficult to take a half decent picture of those clips (2 per each rear deflector). They are small and are deep in the rubber window channel. Dark deflector blocks most of the light there.
Thanks a lot !!
I look forward to seeing those pictures, my ride looks like a handicap in my eyes (somehow) with only the front deflectors
Old 06-05-13, 05:46 PM
gklatv
Driver

Got a few pictures. Couldn't take a picture at even closer distance because the deflector is in a way, and everything getting very blurry (just like or even worse than the 3rd shot). I'm a lousy photographer - sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Weathertech Side Window Deflectors-image1.jpg   Weathertech Side Window Deflectors-image2.jpg   Weathertech Side Window Deflectors-image3.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weathertech Side Window Deflectors