Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Anyone use Weathertech Side Window Deflectors?

Old 06-03-13, 02:34 PM   #16
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.
Trader Score: (0)

CodeRed, I hope your fix works. Weathertech had issues with the rear deflectors when they first came out as previously mentioned. Strangely enough no problems on previous RXs. They had single strips of tape on all sides. Guess that isn't possible on the 3RX since it has a strange angle.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13, 07:47 PM   #17
gklatv
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRed View Post
I have problems with WeatherTech's rear windows visor too.
I ordered the whole set (front & rear).
[snip]
...the package came with the clipper that it cannot fit on a RX;
[snip]
The clips fit just fine, they push the rear piece up against the window channel and hold the rear visor pretty secure.
Weathertech included small metal tool to help with clip installation.
gklatv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 04:46 PM   #18
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitlz View Post
CodeRed, I hope your fix works. Weathertech had issues with the rear deflectors when they first came out as previously mentioned. Strangely enough no problems on previous RXs. They had single strips of tape on all sides. Guess that isn't possible on the 3RX since it has a strange angle.
I certainly hope so too
I still haven't gotten a chance to prepare the rear piece with foam tape yet, I will post the end result here if it works.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13, 04:57 PM   #19
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklatv View Post
The clips fit just fine, they push the rear piece up against the window channel and hold the rear visor pretty secure.
Weathertech included small metal tool to help with clip installation.
Do you mind taking a picture or two with those metal clips in place (in the windows channel)?
It does come with the metal piece but I misplaced it along with the metal clips in the plastic bag (Doh!!)

The diagrams show the clips being installed on a small sedan-like vehicle with exposed rubbers that you can pull down and slide the clips in-between, I don't find it on the 2013 RX and the way it is designed, it didn't seem like I can install the clips the way it is shown in the diagrams.
I did try to push the metal clips into the channel though; but I didn't wanna break anything and also worried that the clip may cause scratches/cuts on the glass, so I didn't try to push it in hard.
  • I didn't use the metal clips partly because I also had WeatherTech on my 4Runner; the package also came with the metal clips but I didn't have to use them (and the rear deflectors have tapes on all 3 sides), 3 years later and they are still securely in place.

I'd appreciate the pictures, so that I can try again before going for the 3M foam tape option.
Old 06-04-13, 08:09 PM   #20
gklatv
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Do you mind taking a picture or two with those metal clips in place (in the windows channel)?
I tried taking pictures in the garage, but it didn't work - too dark even with the flash.
I will try again tomorrow, that time will be outside. It's difficult to take a half decent picture of those clips (2 per each rear deflector). They are small and are deep in the rubber window channel. Dark deflector blocks most of the light there.
Old 06-05-13, 09:33 AM   #21
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
I tried taking pictures in the garage, but it didn't work - too dark even with the flash.
I will try again tomorrow, that time will be outside. It's difficult to take a half decent picture of those clips (2 per each rear deflector). They are small and are deep in the rubber window channel. Dark deflector blocks most of the light there.
Thanks a lot !!
I look forward to seeing those pictures, my ride looks like a handicap in my eyes (somehow) with only the front deflectors
Old 06-05-13, 06:46 PM   #22
gklatv
Driver School Candidate

Got a few pictures. Couldn't take a picture at even closer distance because the deflector is in a way, and everything getting very blurry (just like or even worse than the 3rd shot). I'm a lousy photographer - sorry.
Attached Images

Old 06-06-13, 08:19 AM   #23
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Got a few pictures. Couldn't take a picture at even closer distance because the deflector is in a way, and everything getting very blurry (just like or even worse than the 3rd shot). I'm a lousy photographer - sorry.
Thanks a lot gklatv !
The pictures are good, they show that the clips are properly installed in place to hold the deflectors.

The weather strip to pull with the metal installation tool (for the channel clip to sit on top of) is "inside" the channel?
(I did not want to break anything so I didn't try hard to stick the metal piece inside the top side of the windows channel looking for proper things to pull)

Instruction (even you tube video) showed somewhat exposed weather strips that you can clearly tell what to pull down.
Old 06-06-13, 04:33 PM   #24
gklatv
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
The weather strip to pull with the metal installation tool (for the channel clip to sit on top of) is "inside" the channel?
I recall that the black rubber strip needs to be pulled lightly from the window channel (using weathertech provided tool or any small hooked tool really) and the clip is inserted in there. The rubber strip should be then tucked back by gently pushing it in. It is really easy, and does not require any measurable force at all.
The clips are now sitting inside the weather strips in the channel. They are loose at this point, so you can move them a little along the channel for a proper location.
Now the deflector can be installed in between the metal window frame and the rubber, pushing down on the clips and keeping them, obviously, underside of the deflector.

That's how I installed rear deflector as I remember. Takes just a few minutes, The deflectors seem to stay tight enough for me not to worry of loosing them any time soon.
Old 06-11-13, 09:52 AM   #25
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
I recall that the black rubber strip needs to be pulled lightly from the window channel (using weathertech provided tool or any small hooked tool really) and the clip is inserted in there. The rubber strip should be then tucked back by gently pushing it in. It is really easy, and does not require any measurable force at all.
The clips are now sitting inside the weather strips in the channel. They are loose at this point, so you can move them a little along the channel for a proper location.
Now the deflector can be installed in between the metal window frame and the rubber, pushing down on the clips and keeping them, obviously, underside of the deflector.

That's how I installed rear deflector as I remember. Takes just a few minutes, The deflectors seem to stay tight enough for me not to worry of loosing them any time soon.
Thanks for the information!!
The re-ordered clips has just arrived yesterday, I will attempt again using the clips; before I go for the 3M foam tape option.
Old 06-14-13, 08:18 PM   #26
CodeRed
Driver School Candidate

Default Got the rear Deflector up !

Thank you gklatv for the pictures and tips.

Thanks all for the comments & suggestions.
Old 06-14-13, 08:18 PM