RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-16-14, 12:48 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tires and Wheels Guide
Print Wikipost

Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-11, 09:44 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices

I receive a number of phone calls per day regarding the best all-season tire for the Lexus RX model, so I thought a post may help some find their answers through the forum. Most of the Lexus RX owners I speak with want a tire that is smooth, quiet, hydroplaning resistant and has good snow and ice grip. I have compiled a list of the top 3 performers from my personal customers experiences as well as overall great customer survey results to back up these recommendations.

Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza

Michelin Latitude Tour

Old 08-10-11, 12:47 PM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

These are warranted for 65,000 to 70,000 miles. Will they really last that long?
Old 08-10-11, 01:51 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in south west PA and have been driving for over fifty years. I have NEVER had a set of tires of any brand on any car last more that 40,000. As far as I am concerned, tire warranties are not worth the paper on which they are written.
The following users liked this post:
NeoOne (10-02-22)
Old 08-10-11, 03:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

You couldn't pay me to put a set of Goodyears on my RX. My previous gens came with them OE, never made it to 20K. What a waste.
Old 08-10-11, 03:35 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah crapyear is pretty bad. I currently have Goodyear Wrangler's and they aren't too bad traction wise (won't really know till it snows, but the rain is good). They are really loud though.
Old 08-10-11, 04:40 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to make a choice tomorrow, and I do not, I would go with the Michelin tires. This is just based on past experience on regular sedan tires not an SUV. The last set of tires I purchased for the 2001 were Continental.
Old 08-11-11, 05:52 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

The tread life warranties are a bit on the exaggerated side for most tire manufacturers', the key is to at least have an "in writing" warranty so you can get your prorated percentage discount towards the purchase of new tires. Because although 50K is a more reasonable estimate you do get really good tires for that 50K miles and then at the end the manufacturer will discount your next set of tires by the amount of unused miles. The high tread life warranties are more of an empty gesture than a real fact.

Now as for some CL members commenting on Goodyear or Michelin tires as a whole, I can with certainty say there are inferior tires made by every manufacturer. 90% these are original equipment tires that come standard on a new cars. These tires where the Michelin, Goodyear or Bridgestone name but these tires are typically not the company's best foot forward. They are designed and manufactured for the sure quantity needed rather than the quality customers expect. These tire do what they need to do and that's compliment the car during a test drive, so they are usually quiet. However, beyond that most cars do not get there test drive in the the snow, ice or rain and you have already purchased the car so tread life is not a factor.

These original equipment tires generally cost more and perform no where near aftermarket tires from the same company. So I urge you not to throw out any brand solely based from and OE tire experience

Last edited by zig@tr; 08-11-11 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 07:12 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I had one tire guy tell me he thought the Michelins were over-rated and that they pad the price because of their reputation. I'm not sure if that's true as he didn't carry Michelin and I was price shopping against Costco (who routinely has sales on Michelin, $70 off a set).

I like Consumer Reports' tire ratings.
Old 08-11-11, 08:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I know not every Goodyear will be bad but past experience will still keep me away. And they're not well rated compared to the other tires available for my RX. I have chosen something other than OE when I replaced tires on my previous RXs except when I was two months away from trading in. Fortunately I have time to consider my options. I will say the Yokohamas are looking better and better.
Old 08-11-11, 08:52 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Every single Crapyear tire I have tried, have been terrible in rain and snow traction. And, I'm not talking about O/E equipment here. I have tried a lot crapyear tires, and they truly make crap.

I have yet to see how my Crapyear Wranglers perform on the RX, I'll know soon I guess. LoL
Old 08-11-11, 11:26 AM
zig@tr
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hypervish
Every single Crapyear tire I have tried, have been terrible in rain and snow traction. And, I'm not talking about O/E equipment here. I have tried a lot crapyear tires, and they truly make crap.

I have yet to see how my Crapyear Wranglers perform on the RX, I'll know soon I guess. LoL
Since you said you have Goodyear "Wrangler" tires on the 00' RX, by deduction I can see it must be the Goodyear Wrangler SRA. (There is only one tire in the Wrangler line made in this size) This is an OE tire, Chrysler uses this tire on many of their vehicles from Durango, Ram, Dakota and Jeep Grand Cherokee. As you can see from our customer feedback this is not one of Goodyear's better tires. These are ranked #36 out of 57 highway all-season tires.

Highway All Season Customer Feedback Link

Last edited by zig@tr; 08-11-11 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-11-11, 04:15 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't tried the Wrangler in bad conditions yet, but the other crapyear tires I've had have been terrible. I've had a few over the years.
Old 08-11-11, 06:37 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I'm with Anita, Yokohama's for me. I have the Michelin's currently but I see on the web site the Yoko's got better ratings on road noise and traction plus a few other areas. Their price is right too.
Old 08-11-11, 08:00 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

we just had our RX in for service (50k mile) and our Yoko's were still quieter than the new Michelins on the loaner. Over the past two years we were impressed at the ride qualities of the Michelins on the various loaners we had. This is in comparison to Dunlops that were our OEM. We ultimately went with Yoko Parada Sepc-x due to all the ratings and cheaper than Michelins, and do not regret it one bit. It doesn't snow much here (like maybe every 10 yrs) so I have to trust other's ratings, including Tire Rack's, regarding winter performance.
Old 08-12-11, 05:29 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zig@tr
Since you said you have Goodyear "Wrangler" tires on the 00' RX, by deduction I can see it must be the Goodyear Wrangler SRA. (There is only one tire in the Wrangler line made in this size) This is an OE tire, Chrysler uses this tire on many of their vehicles from Durango, Ram, Dakota and Jeep Grand Cherokee. As you can see from our customer feedback this is not one of Goodyear's better tires. These are ranked #36 out of 57 highway all-season tires.

Highway All Season Customer Feedback Link
Oh, btw I have the Goodyear Wrangler HP not the SRA.

Quick Reply: Lexus RX models - Best All-season tire choices