RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New fog lights on the 450h, again

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 06:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts
Talking New fog lights on the 450h, again

I had a few issues with the HID ballasts and bulbs installed a year ago. After looking through all the options, I decided to stick with HIDs. I contacted Steve at Xenon Depot to help me select the right kit and ease my mind He recommended going with the Xtreme Kit in 5K. They were installed today and wow, are they bright and give off a nice clean white light. They compliment the LED headlights quite well.

I could only manage a few shots because of the rain. I'll take more pictures when it clears up. And don't mind the blue DRL lens. It's from the bulb I have in there. That's next, new DRLs, again.
Attached Thumbnails New fog lights on the 450h, again-fog.jpg  
Old 08-06-11, 06:38 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Nicely done, worth all your hard work.
Old 08-06-11, 10:20 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

looks great!
Old 08-07-11, 07:11 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a great match. What road are you going to pursue on the DRL's?
Old 08-07-11, 07:54 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks super. Could you please tell us where exactly did they install the ballast? As always, thanks for the help.
Old 08-07-11, 09:54 AM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I was getting ready to set my mind for changing ours but then the last few days, cars drove by with those white lights, they're freaking annoying. They're really not eye friendly when driving against them. I felt that I don't what to be that annoying car coming at ya, lol.
Old 08-07-11, 10:46 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

kitlz,

what setup did you have last year? Sorry, too lazy to search right now. just for our education, whata problems did you have exactly? burnout? flicker? Thanks for all your mods. I'm living vicariously through you.
Old 08-07-11, 12:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by MEP7557
That's a great match. What road are you going to pursue on the DRL's?
MEP, it's just a different halogen bulb, Putco 4300K.

Originally Posted by cafpaf
That looks super. Could you please tell us where exactly did they install the ballast? As always, thanks for the help.
cafpaf, I didn't take pictures because I was playing soccer with the installer's 4 year old son I assume they're in the same place as the old ones. The passenger side was mounted on a black frame behind and to the right of the vent, the driver side somewhere above the trans cooler. He removed the middle cover underneath and move the sides over to get in there.
Old 08-07-11, 12:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by happy1977
I was getting ready to set my mind for changing ours but then the last few days, cars drove by with those white lights, they're freaking annoying. They're really not eye friendly when driving against them. I felt that I don't what to be that annoying car coming at ya, lol.
happy, I am extremely cognizant of this. I originally had 6K in and changed to 5K for that reason. Last thing I want to be is one of those people with obnoxious lights.
Old 08-07-11, 12:53 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by afpj
kitlz,

what setup did you have last year? Sorry, too lazy to search right now. just for our education, whata problems did you have exactly? burnout? flicker? Thanks for all your mods. I'm living vicariously through you.
afpj, I'm blushing

I had an unknown brand of ballasts with 6K bulbs. The passenger side ballast died in March because of all the salt last winter. When I changed to 5K bulbs a month ago, the driver side stopped working after a few days. This all happened within a year. My installer confirmed the ballast was still good. It just needed to be reset. But I didn't want to take any chances and I had the kit from Xenon Depot already.
Old 08-07-11, 09:33 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I had a few issues with the HID ballasts and bulbs installed a year ago. After looking through all the options, I decided to stick with HIDs. I contacted Steve at Xenon Depot to help me select the right kit and ease my mind He recommended going with the Xtreme Kit in 5K. They were installed today and wow, are they bright and give off a nice clean white light. They compliment the LED headlights quite well.

I could only manage a few shots because of the rain. I'll take more pictures when it clears up. And don't mind the blue DRL lens. It's from the bulb I have in there. That's next, new DRLs, again.
Kitlz, you'll have to refresh my memory as I don't recall right now, but is the reason you changed out your LED's because they didn't illuminate the road well enough??? I know for sure the Lexus Xenons on my RX illuminate very well. Just curious.
Old 08-08-11, 03:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by The X Men
kitlz, do you see in your picture how the LED low beams are causing a blue reflection the your blue tint DRL?
The camera flash reflected the blue bulb on to the DRL housing. It doesn't show on pictures without the flash.

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Kitlz, you'll have to refresh my memory as I don't recall right now, but is the reason you changed out your LED's because they didn't illuminate the road well enough??? I know for sure the Lexus Xenons on my RX illuminate very well. Just curious.
EMS, I didn't change the LEDs nor am I going to. I went with HID fog lights to compensate for the weaker LEDs.
Old 08-08-11, 01:31 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Anita,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post up some pictures and feedback. I am glad that you are happy with the 5000k Xtreme HID kit. Who won the soccer game? ;-)

Steve
Old 08-08-11, 04:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Steve, of course the 4 year old won. I wound up with a huge bruise over my ankle. Sucks getting old.

Again, thanks for helping me out
Old 08-08-11, 06:34 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anita, thanks for the information on the location of the ballast. It will help me later on. As always, I look forward to your posts. Thanks again!

Quick Reply: New fog lights on the 450h, again