RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New tires, at last.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 05:58 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default New tires, at last.

As 40,000 miles rapidly approached, so increased the baldness of the OEM Dunlop tires on our 450h. I never have felt comfortable buying tires. I don't think I know enough to make an informed decision. I had felt the Dunlops were a bit noisy, but a discussion here on CL had made me wonder if the noise was actually coming from the drone of the transmission. I especially started to believe this as the tires became more bald. My thinking was as the tread disappeared the noise would also become less if tire related.

So I went to the Tire Rack web site, used the tire decision guide, read articles on CL, discussed it with a CL member and narrowed the list to way too many choices both OEM and others. Then I called Tire Rack and spoke with a sales person. If you are thinking of a purchase, call'em. Friendly, knowledgeable, helpful and patient with the undecided (thanks Cody). I narrowed it to three: Michelin, Pirelli, and Yokahoma. I wanted quiet, comfort and wear in that order. I went with the Michelin Latitudes HP's. Their weren't enough reviews of the Pirellis and the Yokahomas seemed too "sporty".

We planned a vacation trip to Canada and Tire Rack was on the way home, so I set up an appointment to get them installed Friday morning. Again, friendly and efficient. They had said two hours for installation, but it was way less than that. They have a nice waiting area with observation windows next to the work area. There is a test track right outdoors where they were testing tires. Sprinklers running on the track to get it good and wet as they accelerated and stopped on wet and dry surfaces.

I left with a new set of tires. Very squeaky tires on their highly polished shop floor. On the city streets of South Bend the tires had a different sound than the bald Dunlops. However, he real test would be interstate to Chicago.

Oh lordy, what a difference!! I could hear the wind now rushing by the windows and the cabin seemed...quiet. The difference was/is amazing. I could turn down the radio. I could hear my wife gently cide me to slow down and observe the speed limit and that noise I was beginning to believe was transmission drone was gone!!!

For me and the way I drive and the types of streets and roads I drive on, the Michelins are by far an improvement over bald Dunlops. This is not a recommendation for anyone, just my limited experience with two different tire brands. Whether I'll be happy in the winter, I have no clue now. Whether the other choices would equal or exceed the Michelins, I don't know that either. I'm happy and Sunday I'll finish the trip home on interstate happy with my decision, listening to the sound of quiet the way a Lexus should be.
Old 07-30-11, 08:04 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I love Michelin tires myself. They just know how to make them right.
Old 07-30-11, 08:06 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Great review, David. You were able to give them a decent workout right away too. I'll have to add them to the short list. Thanks!
Old 07-30-11, 08:11 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased the Michelin Latitudes from Tire Rack (ship out of Reno) to replace the OEM Bridgestones after 300 miles when I purchased the 450h. They provide a great ride in my opinion.
Old 07-30-11, 08:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by JimH2
I purchased the Michelin Latitudes from Tire Rack (ship out of Reno) to replace the OEM Bridgestones after 300 miles when I purchased the 450h. They provide a great ride in my opinion.
How are they in the snow? That's going to be the deciding factor for me.
Old 07-30-11, 09:42 AM
McDMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi DunWkg,

What did you do about the tire pressure sensors? Did you have the tire company install them? Or did you go back to Lexus to get them installed/activated.

Thanks!
Old 07-30-11, 10:52 AM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a great all season/all weather tire you should try the Good Year Forterra triple tread tires. I previously installed them on my Ford Explorer Sport Trac, and they were great summer or winter. The tires have a winter rating and are great in snow or dry pavement. The explorer required 18"tires and 18's were the largest tire made in the forterra lineup. My new RX came with the optional 19" wheels and one of the tires recommended were the Yokahama Parada spec x. which were available in a 19" size. The ratings on Tire Rack were quite good. Will have to replace the original Michelins soon so may try the Yokohamas.
Cheers,
Jim
Old 07-30-11, 02:04 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Side question:

Usually I'm driving about 60K miles before replacing the tires for the small sedan car. Now 1 time SUV owner, how many miles should my tires last in average? Thanks
Old 07-30-11, 03:59 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Very tough to compare a worn out set of tires with a new set. The new ones will always feel better in my experience. Worn tires are subject to more vibration and noise.
Old 07-30-11, 04:06 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

michelines but what model?
Old 07-30-11, 04:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

David said he went with the Michelin Latitudes. I'm still torn though because the Yokohamas are rated better. Decisions, decisions.
Old 07-30-11, 05:20 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

BAH!!! I've no choice but to wait for my ****ing bridgestones to go bald. I've always had michelins.....
Old 07-30-11, 05:58 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by McDMan
Hi DunWkg,

What did you do about the tire pressure sensors? Did you have the tire company install them? Or did you go back to Lexus to get them installed/activated.

Thanks!
The service manager walked around the car a couple of times. Once saying he was checking to see if the pressure sensors were working, although I don't know what device he used. The technician marked everything and I believe he put everything back in their original locations. When I drove off, the sensors read 35,35,36,35. I assumed all was okay and working.

For some reason they replaced all the stem caps and handed me the OEMs and said I could put them on later.
Old 07-31-11, 10:41 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
David said he went with the Michelin Latitudes. I'm still torn though because the Yokohamas are rated better. Decisions, decisions.
The Latitudes do fine in the snow. However, the Yokohamas are rated better in about every category on the Tire Rack Survey, including snow traction. I was not familiar with that choice of tire while buying the Michelins earlier (and I have had numerous sets of Michelins previously which I liked). While I am happy with the Michelins, I would purchase the Yokohamas now based on seeing the Tire Rack survey, and the good reviews these tires get.
Old 07-31-11, 11:48 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by JimH2
The Latitudes do fine in the snow. However, the Yokohamas are rated better in about every category on the Tire Rack Survey, including snow traction. I was not familiar with that choice of tire while buying the Michelins earlier (and I have had numerous sets of Michelins previously which I liked). While I am happy with the Michelins, I would purchase the Yokohamas now based on seeing the Tire Rack survey, and the good reviews these tires get.
Jim, good to know about the Latitudes. Michelins have always been my first choice. The set I had on the 300 had 35K on them when I traded in. They looked brand spanking new. I'm leaning towards the Yokohamas but will ask my tire guy what he thinks. Those Michelins and Alenzas I put on the 330 were recommended by him.

Re the sensors, I bring the tires to my dealer for installation to make sure everything is installed properly and works right. I also get an alignment while I'm there.

Quick Reply: New tires, at last.