RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 03:54 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Another awesome idea. Thanks!!!
Old 07-22-11, 06:52 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a pretty COOL idea.

I will try that one and see if it works better.

Thanks
Old 07-22-11, 07:32 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

After my last post with the pictures (thrilled they came through) I decided to add stick on felt on the portion of metal that fits under the hard plastic ducts (both sides). I did this because I felt that the hard plastic duct may at some time vibrate and create a rattle. This I could not handle. Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-11, 02:25 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
Just so we don't have another mat recall I came up with this. Good thing is you can put it back in the winter when you want the heat back. I just released the 2 elastic fasteners on that flap, just reach underneath and you can feel them. I had to fold it backwards a bit to get it to hang down right.

Still might work on something less conspicuous. Along Happy's idea but with vinyl to block the air better.
Thanks, just did the same. I felt better
Old 09-09-11, 07:25 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had some time today so I got a piece of cardboard and installed it on the vent under the seat like donmatt. It now blows that cold air directly into the fan and you can definitely feel the difference. Now they are A/C seats.
Old 09-09-11, 09:35 PM
bigdenis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
That's a pretty COOL idea.
Hahaha... took me several weeks to GET that!
Old 08-14-12, 07:08 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats such a great idea
thanks
Old 08-17-12, 05:57 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Waouh! very bright idea! I wondered how to improve seat ventilation as put on selection 1,5 it's already noisy and not se fresh with this looks better.
However, I think that when you cool down the interior temp by directlng cool air at floor level, you automatically retake fresh air to ventilate seat, right?
Problem is when cooling at floor level my wife seems uncomfortable because floor level is too cold for the feet.
Old 08-17-12, 11:28 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Alpy64
Waouh! very bright idea! I wondered how to improve seat ventilation as put on selection 1,5 it's already noisy and not se fresh with this looks better.
However, I think that when you cool down the interior temp by directlng cool air at floor level, you automatically retake fresh air to ventilate seat, right?
Problem is when cooling at floor level my wife seems uncomfortable because floor level is too cold for the feet.
You could always let her ride in the back seat behind you. There would be no cold air on her feet then. LOL
Old 10-18-12, 05:30 AM
naplesam
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A question for you folks with the heated/ventilated seats:

I am now researching my next auto purchase and am strongly leaning towards a 2013 RX. A friend with a 2013 RX with the heated/vented seats told me that you must turn them off whenever you turn off the car because if you don't it will run down the battery! That just doesn't sound right to me. I downloaded the Owner's Manual and I read the info to say that if you leave the H/V seats on that, yes, it will run down the battery, but the car must be "on" (not necessarily running, but in the mode where things will operate such as radio, etc.) for the seats to work. Obviously, if you have the car "on" but not running, anything that is on will run down the battery to some degree.

So, do you really have to turn the H/V seats off each and every time you turn off the car or do they auto turn off like everything else?
Old 10-18-12, 06:06 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by naplesam
A question for you folks with the heated/ventilated seats:

I am now researching my next auto purchase and am strongly leaning towards a 2013 RX. A friend with a 2013 RX with the heated/vented seats told me that you must turn them off whenever you turn off the car because if you don't it will run down the battery! That just doesn't sound right to me. I downloaded the Owner's Manual and I read the info to say that if you leave the H/V seats on that, yes, it will run down the battery, but the car must be "on" (not necessarily running, but in the mode where things will operate such as radio, etc.) for the seats to work. Obviously, if you have the car "on" but not running, anything that is on will run down the battery to some degree.

So, do you really have to turn the H/V seats off each and every time you turn off the car or do they auto turn off like everything else?
On my 2012 I leave them on all summer. I am sure they shut off with the car.
Old 10-21-12, 05:57 PM
TomL51
Driver School Candidate

Angry

Great thoughts from everyone. It's a darn shame you have to modify a Lexus to keep the cooling seats working decently. I got in my brothers Cadillac the other day, and had to turn the setting down to 1 to keeping from getting too cold. Why don't they just fix it?
Old 10-21-12, 06:55 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TomL51
Great thoughts from everyone. It's a darn shame you have to modify a Lexus to keep the cooling seats working decently. I got in my brothers Cadillac the other day, and had to turn the setting down to 1 to keeping from getting too cold. Why don't they just fix it?
On your MSRP sheet is says "heated and ventilated seats" not 'Air conditioned seats" as Cadillac has. Merely a fan to blow some air around; I totally agree it is poorly done and grossly overpriced at $640!!!
Old 11-11-12, 07:19 AM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

What does the original poster mean by must be set to bi-level? Sorry for the newbie question? Does this mean if the AC is set to upper only, and seats are set to AC, they won't work?
Old 11-11-12, 07:20 AM
f152tall
Driver School Candidate

Why was there a comment about being different in winter? Would this mod change the heating in the winter?
Thank you!

Quick Reply: How to Improve the Cooling of the Front Seats.