RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Console Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-11, 03:37 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Guys, a pocketbook may fit under the console but is not easily accessible. The top is blocked off so it would have to be removed every time to get inside. I don't call that convenient nor is it safe IMO especially while driving. I put mine on the passenger seat.

RXSF, raising the seat is a good idea to address the armrest problem but may make it difficult to get in. The higher sills makes for a clumsy entry. Using memory seat settings should work around that. One of the best selling points of the RX has been easy access. I think Lexus could have done a little better this time around. It's a little awkward, and I'm 5'8".

I think the 3rd gen is technologically advanced compared to my previous RXs. I didn't have bluetooth until 2010! The power placement could have been better but I use the extensions. Nav works for me, Enform is awesome. I can send destinations to the RX before I get in.

arghhh, definitely keep us updated. We're all here to help.
Old 06-24-11, 06:17 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know that this thread was started by a lady and was really looking for a woman's perspective on the interior design. Our new RX is really my wife's car and as long as it gets here where she wants to go and back reliably she has not complaints. I on the other hand am more than a little disappointed with the interior design and use of features. I like the car but using some of the features compared to my 2008 CTS is irritating to say the least. Using the bluetooth requires at least three time the steps it takes on a GM car. The hole in the center is just about useless and I do not want to store things in view of others. Further, the power outlet in that center hole is for all intents and purposes useless. I have to be almost laying on the floor to plug anything into it. It would be great if the Multi-informational Display would display a digital read out of your speed in addition to the other things. The design of the center arm rest, in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired. First of all it hides the controls for the heated/ventilated seats. Second, when open, it does not open at 90 degrees. It may only open at 45 or 60 degrees. That makes it very difficult to get in there while driving.

Overall, I like the car, but I just can't get over the poor ergonomic design of the interior. The quality is fine, but the design and use is entirely another matter. Oh well, I don't drive it every day and my wife could care less.
Old 06-24-11, 01:25 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

The X Men, you are exactly correct. No car is perfect. There will be likes and dislikes in every car for different people. What would the world be like if everything was absolutely perfect? Boring!!!
Old 06-24-11, 01:32 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Purse Holder

Thats why the RX use to be a Girls car.

They could hang their purse over the Shift lever. And the purse would sit in the area between the dash and the center console.
Old 06-25-11, 08:18 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

The X Men, I agree with you on the look of the new RX interior as compared to the old. However, I think that they could have accomplished the look and still provided more utility and ergonomic ease of use. Having said that, I would much rather have the look of the new.
Old 06-26-11, 04:14 PM
alanadler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know much about purses, except that a Judith Leiber purse costing as much as the car can fit in the cup holder. I do find the little oddball cupholder to the left of the steering wheel to be an excellent cell phone holder. Have to agree with one poster that putting the seats' heating/vent controls under the armrest is not only inconvenient, but very dangerous since you have to look down to set them. There is plenty of room in the dash area to put the controls.
Old 06-27-11, 12:22 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Guys, a pocketbook may fit under the console but is not easily accessible. The top is blocked off so it would have to be removed every time to get inside. I don't call that convenient nor is it safe IMO especially while driving. I put mine on the passenger seat.

RXSF, raising the seat is a good idea to address the armrest problem but may make it difficult to get in. The higher sills makes for a clumsy entry. Using memory seat settings should work around that. One of the best selling points of the RX has been easy access. I think Lexus could have done a little better this time around. It's a little awkward, and I'm 5'8".

I think the 3rd gen is technologically advanced compared to my previous RXs. I didn't have bluetooth until 2010! The power placement could have been better but I use the extensions. Nav works for me, Enform is awesome. I can send destinations to the RX before I get in.

arghhh, definitely keep us updated. We're all here to help.
the second gen rx had bluetooth as my ex leased one that I drove occasionally. my car was a second gen IS which had better implementation of bluetooth and its likely the same one thats current in several lexus models. this thread is a bit silly to me since it doesnt seem that the OP did much testing of the way she would use the rx. and the comment about it being designed by a guy doesnt seem to be much of a valid point since the rx has always been driven mainly by women. all you have to do is look to see whos driving one [for the last 10 years] to know that. I dont know what I would do with a purse since I am a man but the woman who said they put it on the floor of the second row WITHIN REACH seems to have the best solution. well, aside from paying attention when youre testing the vehicle before purchase/lease
Old 06-27-11, 08:39 AM
arghhh
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks Everyone

The feedback is thought provoking. Thank you.

I like the seat adjustment especially the height and inclines. The console is somewhat behind me when I'm up where I like to be. I am reaching back which is probably not so bright especially since my rotator cuff sticks.

I noticed that someone who responded had a name that sounded like a test driver. I think that would be an interesting thing to be hired? to do.
I fall at the smaller end of Euro descent women. I wonder what the teeny Hispanic and Asian women drive. I did google search this topic before I bought. Hardly anything there.

I was thinking of an after market alternative approach to the handbag dilemma like a bungie wrapped around the passenger's seat headrest with a loop or hook or something... maybe a tray like on a plane that drops for the right rear seat? Ideas?!
Old 06-27-11, 09:19 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

I'll pass on the frou frou purse, thank you. Can you say fugly?

The 3rd gen is just not as female friendly as before. Lexus seemed to have beefed it up a bit to avoid totally alienating men. I can remember when the RX debuted back in February 2010, one of the Lexus demonstrators (male) pointed out how the higher sill would protect a woman's pant leg or skirt from getting dirty while entering/exiting the RX. I almost laughed in his face. Sometimes I feel like I'm going over a hurdle with my size 10 clonkers. Even when my mom or some of my friends are getting in (they're 5'3" and below), they have to bend their legs up and over the sill more than normal. BTW, mom had an RX300, no issues.

arghhh, you're going in the right direction with the purse idea. Maybe you can run a mini cargo net between the two front seats so it sits above the console. This way it is just slightly behind you and would require minimal turning to reach. I don't want you to hurt yourself.
Old 06-27-11, 11:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Just put a little bling on there and you're all set, X
Old 06-27-11, 03:29 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The X Men
How about something like this, you can hang your handbag in the back of your seat:

http://www.carrymeplease.com/Cargo-H...ag%20hooks.htm
Why spend so much money, just get a hiking hook for like 50 cents.
Old 06-27-11, 03:35 PM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

What - you have a european "Man Purse"???
Old 06-28-11, 07:08 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Arghhh, I know you said you had a rotator cuff injury, so my solution might not work.

I have a Coach handbag with shorter handles than I prefer. But I can easily latch the handles onto the headrest of the RX350, and hang the bag from the headrest. If I'm driving alone, I hang it from the headrest on the passenger side, facing the dashboard. If I have a passenger, I sling it on the driver's side headrest, facing the backseat.

I don't have Nav, so my cell phone sits where the Nav mouse would be for those who do have it. But I've had a couple of loaners WITH Nav. With those, I use the cupholder to the left of the steering wheel to stash my phone...

Good luck!

Sandi
Old 06-29-11, 08:00 PM
arghhh
Driver School Candidate

Default handbag duh!!!

Cool! This idea beats the bungy cord idea...think I can adapt something I already have! Now, if I can get it to hang over the console so it isn't in the passenger space...
Old 06-29-11, 11:19 PM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by arghhh
Cool! This idea beats the bungy cord idea...think I can adapt something I already have! Now, if I can get it to hang over the console so it isn't in the passenger space...
You can - it just depends on how you orient the handles. You can sling them over the headrest, with the apex of the handles towards the driver's side windows, then the bag hangs between the two seats.

Same deal with hanging it on the passenger seat headrest. Apex of the handles facing the passenger window, body of the bag hanging between the two front seats.

Good luck!

Sandi

Quick Reply: Console Question