RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Quick review of K&N filter

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-11, 06:09 PM
boss22
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for answers.
Somebody above says that K&N reusable is 45 times less efficient in filtering than regular oem filter how about that? Isn't it harmful to the engine? Thx
Old 11-21-11, 06:28 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used a KN filter for almost 15 Years now in different vehicles. What I found is a little better gas milage and a whole lot less money spent on disposable filters. I have never had an issue with all the stuff people say could happen ( none of which ever happened to them, but they read about it on the interweb ) They are just as efficient as the factory ones as far as filtering goes but allow more air flow through.

People say: "Well how can that be that they let more air in and keep just as much dirt out? That can not be possible" To them I say one word: Goretex. It keeps out water by the fact that the pores are smaller than the size of the water. The K&N works the same way. The pores are smaller than the dirt but bigger than the pores that occur in the paper and thus filter the same but allow more air through.

For the record there are other brands that make reusable filters, K&N is just the most known.

I will put one in my Lexus when it is time to replace my factory one. I already have it from Sewell. The cheapskate in me just cant justify not using the factory one first.
Old 11-22-11, 02:00 AM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a K&N air filter for my RX a few weeks back and still haven't got time to install it. One question though, did you have to remove some parts around the air filter box? It looked to me that I have to remove the battery in order to open that box?

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
I purchased the K&N high flow filter to replace the factory one.
According to the service schedule, I am due for a new engine air filter soon and I thought I might give the K&N a shot.

The reason why I was quite confident with K&N is because GruppeM (a reputable intake manufacturer) uses K&N filters for all of their intakes. Another reason is that the K&N is the only intake filter available for the RX350, with the exception of Tom`s Japan honeycomb filter, which costs close to $200US.

For less than $50, I picked up the K&N filter and decided to install it myself as well.

Installation: It was pretty easy. Pop 2 clips on the air intake box then you will see a tray that holds the OEM air filter in place. You pull that tray out and remove the OEM air filter. Then you put the K&N filter in and do the reverse to put it back into the airbox. The K&N is not as thick as the OEM.
It comes pre-oiled and to my surprise it did not come with any instruction either (not that the instructions were super important, but it was easy to figure out how to take out the filter from the intake box).

Impressions: The first day, I notice a slight improvement in acceleration or response, which may be due to the ECU`s learning curve.
The second and third day, I notice a decent improvement in acceleration and throttle response, based on the same way and style I drive.

I don`t think there are huge performance gains, but it is reasonable to estimate that there is 3-5hp gain, which is what a typical high flow air filter would deliver on many cars. Response and acceleration is definitely better, improving the car`s driveability. I am not expecting huge performance gains or go crazy with the RX350. But for $50, I think this filter is a pretty good deal for slightly better engine response on a day to day basis. Again, I can`t quantify the actual gains but the car`s response is slightly better and the car is more responsive when you want it to do. Just a little peppier but it is not something that will WOW you or impress other people.

Another thing is that this filter is reusable, meaning you won`t have to spend money on OEM one-time use only filters. All this filter needs is a K&N cleaning kit which comes with a spray cleaner and an aerosol oil applicator.

Overall, I am very happy with the K&N filter and would like to share my experience with anyone who may be interested in changing the air filter or are looking for minor upgrades for their RX.

Note: The new Sienna apparently share the same intake airbox with the RX350 and therefore K&N shows an identical part number for both vehicles.
Old 11-22-11, 06:25 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I have used K&N filters for years in the pass, the only difference I notice was the engine sounds louder at high rpm, no HP or MPG gain. Most independent lab test shows that K&N filters does have higher flow than paper paper for a short duration of time, but it plugs up very fast. Also, when new or after a cleaning, it passes a lot of dirt. For the best combination of filtering and air flow, I went back to using paper filter. Here is one of the independent lab result:

"In the chart above it’s important to note the different test durations for each filter. The AC Delco filter test ran for 60 minutes before exceeding the restriction limit while the AMSOIL and K&N tests each ran for 20 and 24 minutes respectively before reaching max restriction.

In 60 minutes the AC Filter accumulated 574gms of dirt and passed only 0.4gms. After only 24 minutes the K&N had accumulated 221gms of dirt but passed 7.0gms.

Compared to the AC, the K&N“plugged up” nearly 3 times faster, passed 18 times more dirt and captured 37% less dirt. See the data tables for a complete summary of these comparisons.

Dust Loading:

The dust loading curves show graphically how each filter responded to a constant 9.8 gms/min dust flow before reaching the maximum restriction limit. "

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html
Old 11-22-11, 03:32 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

py0413: You don't have to remove anything from the engine bay. There are two clips that hold the air filter tray to the airbox element. You just have to undo the two clips ( i think they are u-shaped) and that will allow you to slide the filter tray out (pull it out). Then remember how the original paper filter sits on the tray and put the new K&N filter in accordingly. Then the rest is reverse to reinstall everything. Takes 5 minutes at most. =) Good luck!
Old 11-23-11, 01:22 AM
py0413
Driver

Thank you for the tip. I just had the air filter installed in less than 5 mins. What a quick and easy process. Thank you again.

I personally don't think anybody should expect a noticeable performance gain with just to replace an air filter. I have had after market air filters for most of my cars over the years and I couldn't tell if I ever really experienced any performance upgrade. However, the reusable function is somehow helpful. I get to take the filter out and clean it every couple of months.

Originally Posted by KI_GSE21
py0413: You don't have to remove anything from the engine bay. There are two clips that hold the air filter tray to the airbox element. You just have to undo the two clips ( i think they are u-shaped) and that will allow you to slide the filter tray out (pull it out). Then remember how the original paper filter sits on the tray and put the new K&N filter in accordingly. Then the rest is reverse to reinstall everything. Takes 5 minutes at most. =) Good luck!
Old 11-25-11, 09:45 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

No problem, glad it worked out for you. Enjoy the K&N filter. =)
Old 11-29-11, 12:52 AM
py0413
Driver

To be honest, I think this K&N air filter for RX350 works really well. It makes the throttle more responsive and now the acceleration is smoother and quicker. As for fuel efficiency, I can't tell a different so far. To me it's a good $45 to spend.
Old 11-30-11, 02:55 PM
KI_GSE21
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by py0413
To be honest, I think this K&N air filter for RX350 works really well. It makes the throttle more responsive and now the acceleration is smoother and quicker. As for fuel efficiency, I can't tell a different so far. To me it's a good $45 to spend.
+1, totally agree. I would also recommend installing a throttle controller. I have one on my RX350 and it works like the newer Lexus cars that comes factory with sport and eco mode selections.
PM me for more info if you are interested =)
Old 02-02-13, 08:21 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No performance gain with a drop in K&N filter unless over 5K RPM.
Most get the placebo effect after installing one due to more engine noise.
If MPGs improved,with the strict CAFE regulations demanding higher auto manufacturer MPG averages,this type wet or dry air filter would be used.
Same with better performance.
A full cold air intake is a different story but a drop....nah.
Old 02-02-13, 08:36 AM
StillLine
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
If MPGs improved,with the strict CAFE regulations demanding higher auto manufacturer MPG averages,this type wet or dry air filter would be used.
Same with better performance.
A full cold air intake is a different story but a drop....nah.
I agree, especially with the placebo effect. I propose that if someone paid me $50 to sprinkle high performance pixie dust on the hood of their car, they would swear to an increase in performance and fuel economy. Why? No one wants to think they wasted money on something that really doesn't work. Many times, the performance gains experienced post installation of aftermarket products is directly proportional to the vehicular weight reduction netted by the amount of cash removed from the driver's wallet.
Old 02-02-13, 10:39 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
NO increase in engine noise perceived. CAI, yes, but not with the drop in filter discussed in this thread.
NB: US military has reduced my hearing somewhat, but low engine noise sounds still heard well...I think.