RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Caution on the side molding extra.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 12:16 PM
Robertbr70
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caution on the side molding extra.

First, let me thank everyone on this forum for your wisdom. It helped me a great deal with the purchase of my 2011 RX 350, one month old today!

I decided to purchase the dealer added color coordinated side protective molding for $399.00. Today I got my first ding at Home Depot. I am sad to say that the protective molding consist of a thin coat of paint over a black substrate. So every ding will leave a nice black mark which will need to be touched up This is my third Lexus and I would have expected a side molding made of a color saturated plastic. It is really not that much more expensive. Otherwise, I love this car. It is more fun to drive than my LS.
Old 05-26-11, 02:31 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robertbr70
First, let me thank everyone on this forum for your wisdom. It helped me a great deal with the purchase of my 2011 RX 350, one month old today!

I decided to purchase the dealer added color coordinated side protective molding for $399.00. Today I got my first ding at Home Depot. I am sad to say that the protective molding consist of a thin coat of paint over a black substrate. So every ding will leave a nice black mark which will need to be touched up This is my third Lexus and I would have expected a side molding made of a color saturated plastic. It is really not that much more expensive. Otherwise, I love this car. It is more fun to drive than my LS.
At least later on if you take out the side molding, your doors will look beautiful. SO it does help for now. And i bought/installed for $100. I won't complain if it saves the doors.
Old 05-27-11, 01:50 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you are right about the black mark, however if someone had hit your door you may have a dent to repair as well as a paint touch up. I installed the side mouldings myself and they look great. Someone has already put a chip on the moulding,so when I get the right color of touch up, I will repair it. Better than having a dent.
good luck touching up the moulding, it shouldn't be too noticeable.
Jim
Old 05-28-11, 06:49 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with unlimited ding protection for 5 years instead!
Old 05-30-11, 04:11 PM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Side Moldings

Just purchased my 2011 RX loaded. I only have 300 miles on it so it is a little too early to tell how all will be. However, at this time is is great. Love the front seat extenders & HUD. One of the first things I did was to order the side moldings and mud guards from Sewell Lexus. Installed them myself with my wifes supervision and assistance on lining them up. They look great and hopefully work well. If not they can always be removed. Good luck all and enjoy your RX
Don.
Old 05-31-11, 04:42 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
I went with unlimited ding protection for 5 years instead!
Ding protection is what I got as well. We recently sufferred our first "ding" which didn't qualify for repair. Why? Because the ding insurance only covers dings, dents, and windshield cracks but not paint repair (i.e. scratces). The 1 1/2 inch scratch to the metal is there until I can get the courage to use the touch up paint.
Old 05-31-11, 12:25 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Does your side molding look like this?
Attached Thumbnails Caution on the side molding extra.-44.jpg  
Old 05-31-11, 01:39 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

how do these attach? 2-sided tape?
Old 05-31-11, 01:52 PM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Default This is how mine turned out - self installed mud guards and door trim

Bought my RX350 exactly 1 month ago. Love it.

Old 06-03-11, 07:06 PM
alanadler
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I just got my side molding done at the dealer today, cost $305 including tax. Looks exactly like the above pictures. It is different than older models where the molding is wider and flatter. I believe it was attached with 3M adhesive which comes on the molding. Didn't know about dings revealing black plastic but as was mentioned, better than fixing a dent.
Old 06-03-11, 10:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good. Hope it prevents some dings, but not expecting protection from a lot.
Old 07-22-11, 10:42 AM
mcsooner70
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by donmatt
Just purchased my 2011 RX loaded. I only have 300 miles on it so it is a little too early to tell how all will be. However, at this time is is great. Love the front seat extenders & HUD. One of the first things I did was to order the side moldings and mud guards from Sewell Lexus. Installed them myself with my wifes supervision and assistance on lining them up. They look great and hopefully work well. If not they can always be removed. Good luck all and enjoy your RX
Don.
I saw the mud flaps and trim on sewell, just a little nervous about installing them myself. Does the trim just stick on and how difficult are the mud flaps?
Old 07-22-11, 12:11 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

welcome to CL mcsooner

From what I read here about the side guards (I don't have them), I think the biggest challenge is lining them up. It's probably better to have someone help. As far as the mud guards, my dealer installed mine. I can tell you there's no drilling involved on them. It's strictly remove a few bolts here, replace with provided bolts there. At least that was my recollection of the instructions. You can always call Darrel at Sewell with questions if the installation instructions are not on their website. Just make sure you set up an account to get the lower price. Good luck.
Old 07-22-11, 12:23 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Mud flaps. No big thing they just screw in place. Trim I had the body shop that this Lexus store here takes their car to. Tip the man$ 20 to put them on that was it. The Toyota store wanted over $100 to do that.
Old 07-23-11, 08:14 AM
donmatt
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

FYI: The mud guards install very easily by screws furnished with them. The side moldings are not quite so easy. The alignment of them is the most difficult of all. Takes a lot of measuring and re-checking. Once they are aligned properly it is a piece of cake to install. Just peal back the tape per instructions and install very carefully. I ordered them from Sewell Lexus and the cost of mud guards and side moldings including shipping was less than $165.00. Very quick shipping received in two days. You can see how much the dealer is charging for them. Not bad savings for a couple of hours of labor.

Last edited by donmatt; 07-23-11 at 08:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Caution on the side molding extra.