RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 dvd

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-12, 05:43 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2013 dvd

Does anyone know if one can watch a full length movie without worrying if the Battery will run down ??

~ Capp
Old 09-17-12, 09:31 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm going to answer this two ways:

1: If your question is more around "Does a fully charged new 12V battery have enough charge to run accessory mode and play a full-length 2-hour DVD while in Park?", my pure guess is yes, but I have not tried it. I have sat in my RX450h waiting for nearly 90 minutes with XM playing in accessory mode (the Nav is still on) and had no issue when I went to start the truck -- longer than that with CDs playing in the autochanger of my former RX400h. I believe the RX350 physically has a larger battery than a RX450h as well, so that may influence the duration accessories could be run. There are also other variables that could draw more power on a particular vehicle when playing a DVD, such as the Mark Levinson option has more speakers and a much more poweful amp than the base 9 or 12-speaker audio systems, or if you are using the Rear Seat Entertainment System with all it's additional screens and gizmos vs. watching the DVD on the Nav screen only. Sorry, it's a lot of speculation on my part -- I just don't use my truck as a movie theatre.

2: Now, because it's the way I started to reply the first time I read your question, but it could be considered more flippant on my part (sorry - not my intent), here is answer #2 for posterity sake.
I don't believe the truck can prevent people from doing dumb things.

The RX has some "battery saver" functions such as turning off the headlights after a period of time when the engine is not running, turning off (some of) the antenna for keyless entry after several days of non-use, and a few others -- all are examples of logic where the vehicle can make a good assumption to save us from ourselves. With that said, IMO I see no way any vehicle could stop someone from turning the engine off, keeping accessory mode on, then playing the audio system, using the 12v accessory to charge something, or a myriad of other things until the juice runs out.

From a documentation perspective, there are multiple references in the owner's manual on some of the options like seat warmers, 12V outlets, and others "To prevent 12-volt battery discharge: Do not leave the system on longer than necessary when the engine is off." There is also an overarching warning on p21 (p22 for the RXh) of this manual relating to the ignition switch that is probably closest to answering your question... the last sentence of which basically says "turn your vehicle completely off to avoid possible 12-volt battery discharge". The actual quote from the manual is: "If the shift lever is in a position other than P when turning off the engine, the “ENGINE START STOP” switch will be turned to ACCESSORY mode, not to off. To avoid unexpected 12-volt battery discharge, make sure the lever is in the P position when stopping the engine."
Old 09-17-12, 10:07 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bert: Thanks for your response. I guess the only way for me to find out is to go-ahead and watch a two hour movie to see if the car will start after it's over.

I do not have a rear entertainment center nor Mark Levinson speakers.

~ Capp
Old 09-17-12, 08:09 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Capp,

I might suggest becoming familiar with the procedure for jump starting the car.

Old 09-18-12, 06:13 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

Clearly the answer to the question as posed is "no," you will always be worrying if the battery will run down.