RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Newly picked up RX WON'T start 30 mins after delivery !

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-11, 07:49 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newly picked up RX WON'T start 30 mins after delivery !

I just had my 2011 RX 350 with ultra premium package delivered around 5:30pm. Drove home and went on to ge my other stuff done. Was getting ready to head out for dinner and guess what the vehicle won't start! Got into the car and tried to start it as usual, all the lights keeps on flashing like having a Xmas party then the car shut itself. Then all sorts of warning signs came up, eg. Check engine, check AWD, check tire pressure. Tried a few more times and the result is unchanged. Never had one car died on me on the first day especially the first couple hours of ownership.

Just got off he phone with my sales guy and he is bring a loaner for me and will tow my brand new RX back to the dealership. Anybody has similar experience? What should I expect to dealer to do in this case? The salesman I am dealin with is a super nice but I am for sure quite upset in this situation now.

Sigh@@!!
Old 04-12-11, 07:53 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a feeling it's just the battery. If the car has been setting on the lot for any length of time it just ran down. Don't distress.
Old 04-12-11, 07:53 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

sorry to hear... I wonder if it is a battery problem?
Old 04-12-11, 08:00 PM
yahj
Driver

had the same problem mine is the battery due to the car sitting on the lot for too long, it happened when we are about to go home from the dealership
Old 04-12-11, 08:07 PM
100degrees
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All lights come on because the car isnt turned over. When in "ON" mode with motor off, the lights will illuminate so no worries. Most likely is just a bad battery.
Old 04-12-11, 08:16 PM
py0413
Driver

Seems like you guys are right. With the battery jumper, the car stars again but my sales guy will still bring the car back to dealer and ask them to re-check everything. I hope it is really just the battery issue. Tha was a pretty scary moment to have have picking up a brand nre ride and drive it for 15 kms.
Old 04-12-11, 08:49 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Even if that was just the battery, that's poor check out inspection right there considering they type of car you're buying. Not to mention time loss from work.
Old 04-12-11, 08:50 PM
ggravant
Driver

Do you live in Roswell, NM (... queue Twilight Zone them song ...)
Old 04-12-11, 08:53 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

you seemed very poised and kept your cool. I would have went off on the dealer my new car left me stranded the first day. Ask for a discount
Old 04-12-11, 10:31 PM
py0413
Driver

Thumbs up

This is such a great on-line community here. I really appreciate seeing you guys jumping in with all your quick answers to my problem. Thank you again.

Over the years, I have learned keeping a cool mind and thinking positively will usually resolve any problem sooner than expected. I was working in the customer service industry for some years until I quick in late 2009 due to illness. I would probably exploded if this happens 5 or 6 years ago. Those years were really some priceless lessons for me.

Anyway, the car is now taken back at the dealership. Special thanks to my sales rep. who stayed in to do delivery with me after his shift and came out to help on bringing a loaner vehicle for me to use. I am lucky to have such a professional and responsible sales rep. Tomorrow morning I will head back to the dealership and have a little discussion with their store manager about this incident. Obviously, the person or department did the pre-delivery inspection wasn't aware the battery problem. I wish Lexus would use the same battery BMW is using as those batteries have a indicator that tells if it is in good condition or not. Hopefully, they will make up something for me. Maybe a couple free oil changes or some useful accessories. I certainly let this community know about the outcomes and will upload some pictures of my new RX soon.

Thanks guys and have a good one!
Old 04-12-11, 10:33 PM
py0413
Driver

I just realized there were so many typos when I replied with my iphone. Gotta really watch out for my fat fingers. ^^
Old 04-13-11, 06:30 AM
fr0mastaj
Driver School Candidate

Same thing happened to me. Actually happened DURING delivery when salesman was showing me the car. He told me to put foot on brake and start the car. Battery was dead... had to have a tech come jump start it, then they took it away to inspect. Was just a low battery charge.
Old 04-13-11, 06:46 AM
timlrx11
Driver

Originally Posted by py0413
This is such a great on-line community here. I really appreciate seeing you guys jumping in with all your quick answers to my problem. Thank you again.
I completely agree with you. This is a great community to share your story, ask question, etc... Please let us know the outcome and post some pictures of your car when you get a chance.

Old 04-13-11, 07:32 AM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Vehicles with lots of gizmos (like Lexus) have a constant drain on the battery and if the vehicle has sat for any length of time it can compromise the battery's ability to turn the engine over. Unless they did a load test on the battery before delivery (not a normal thing) they might not catch the low battery state. They will sort it out and you should have the RX back by the end of the day.
Old 04-13-11, 08:17 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

My friend went to test drive a new five series and the salesman had to get three different sets of keys before he finally got a car that had a working battery. That dealer now has all their cars on a chargers on the lot.

It is impressive that you kept your cool. I know you were very frustrated to find your new car dead. Because it is human nature to want to drive and show off your new ride!

I have used the Forums here for over a year and have found the people very friendly and helpful. As you can see by the ipod scrolling conversation, the people here can identify the problems easier than the service people some time and they share with the rest of us.

Quick Reply: Newly picked up RX WON'T start 30 mins after delivery !