RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-11, 12:16 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive

I’m not in the market for a car just yet but I could be in 6 to 9 months and since I enjoy car shopping so much I thought I’d get a jump on it. I have a 2006 IS250AWD and a 2004 Pilot that we are thinking about upgrading. Looking at the possibility of an RX or GX. My car was at the dealer Thursday and they were nice enough to let me take a 2011 RX350 AWD for the day.

I walked up to the Tungsten Pearl RX and immediately commented how much I liked the new exterior. Although I have a lot of respect for the 1RX and 2RX and what they’ve done for the brand, candidly this is the first RX who’s exterior appeals to me. I really liked the lines and the ‘flow’ of the car. I thought the RX had a great balance of ground clearance while still having an easy entry height for the seats and hatch. Looking from the outside I was concerned about rearward visibility but those concerns went away immediately once I sat in the driver’s seat.

I found the driver’s seat and position to be fantastic. I really like the positioning of the gear selector on the console as it feel perfectly into my hand as if I’d been in the RX many times. This RX had 665 miles on it and it did not have NAV (best I can tell it did have the Comfort and Premium packages) and there was an awesome tray on the console where the 'mouse' would have been that my droid sat perfectly in for the day

As I backed it out first thing I noticed is the backup camera displayed on the rear view mirror. Very nice touch! I had to go directly to work at this point and my 25 min highway ride was a delight. Quiet, smooth and comfortable along with good pickup from the engine and a transmission that shifted supremely smooth. RX was so good that when I went to take my long sweeping exit for work I forgot I was driving an SUV and quickly went from about to lean on the gas pedal for fun like I’d do in my IS to reading my foot to brake. So I’m awake now LOL At lunch I had a bunch of errands to do and I took the RX out and found it a joy to drive. I thought it handled the city and the highway nicely and at this point attributed my morning experience on the exit to probably entering the exit at a much higher speed than I normally would have. Took the same exit at the end of my errand run and it was very IS like meaning that I felt very comfortable around the exit and although it’s an SUV I could easily live with it and enjoy it as a daily.

Some other small things I noticed and liked through the day is that the selector for the information center in the dash had a 2way lever on the wheel instead of a single button to scroll through the choices. I also liked the the info center always displayed the outside temp along with another choice, I wish my IS did that. The Power Lift Gate was very nice and worked quite well. I also liked the small storage bin in the back under the cargo mat. We use this a lot in our Pilot now.

I do have a few minor criticisms to share. I didn’t like the placement of the volume control for the stereo at all as I needed to learn forward just to reach it. Not sure why they put it up so high when most other Lexus have them down by your knee. I know there is the steering wheel vol control too but still.

Another one was the green ECO light flashing on and off. I must be getting old but to me anytime a light on the dash illuminates I think something really bad is happening A light should only illuminate if I pushed a button (cruise control, fog lights etc) or stepped on the parking brake. To me anytime a light on the dash illuminates on the dash by itself my heart stops. I know its green and not yellow or red and I’m sure I’ll get used to it, but it was a little bothersome especially that 20 mins I was caught in traffic.

The only other criticism I have is there was some wind noise over 60 mph seemingly coming from the roof rails. Now it was a windy March day so that might have been it also, but it is something that caught my attention multiple times.

Bottom line is that I really liked this car and became very comfortable with it after only one day with it It’s definitely on my short list along with the GX460 I took for a quick spin that same day.

I’m sure I’ll have plenty of questions as I move forward through the process but please let me know your thoughts now on any of the points I’ve made today.
Old 03-05-11, 12:55 PM
larrs
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TripleL
Another one was the green ECO light flashing on and off.
That ECO light can be turned off using the multi-function display options.
Old 03-05-11, 04:00 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

^^ yes that light is pointless and can be turned off. Its very interesting to hear all these impressions from an IS driver. Im glad you liked the RX as much as you did the GX. Having owned 3 RXs (one from each generation), it is a very easy car to live with, and fits my lifestyle perfectly. Its hard to get back into a sedan when you have the high driving position of the RX and the utility of the cargo area. I dont know if you guys have Costco in RI, but its a warehouse that allows you to buy in bulk. A sedan wont do much use there!

I wish you got a loner with the remote touch in the RX, it would have been fun to play with. Another great place to keep your phone (if you had remote touch) would be the door handle holes on the arm rest of the doors
Old 03-05-11, 05:07 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by larrs
That ECO light can be turned off using the multi-function display options.
Thank YOU! I was hoping someone would say that.
Old 03-05-11, 05:16 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by RXSF
^^ yes that light is pointless and can be turned off. Its very interesting to hear all these impressions from an IS driver. Im glad you liked the RX as much as you did the GX. Having owned 3 RXs (one from each generation), it is a very easy car to live with, and fits my lifestyle perfectly. Its hard to get back into a sedan when you have the high driving position of the RX and the utility of the cargo area. I don't know if you guys have Costco in RI, but its a warehouse that allows you to buy in bulk. A sedan wont do much use there!
I did enjoy it very much. As I was driving to return it I called a friend of mine who has had both 05 and 08 RXs to tell him I understand what he was saying about liking the RX so much. He and I had A4's at the same time, he went to the RX and I went with the IS. I have no regrets about my IS in fact quite the opposite I love it. But yes need to take my wife's Pilot to the warehouse stores or Lowes etc plus taking 3 co workers around in the IS isn't bad, but not exactly roomy either hence my searching!

Oh and about my friend he said 2 things. 1) I told ya LOL and 2) He just picked up a 450h 10 days ago and said the 3RX is by far his fav

I wish you got a loner with the remote touch in the RX, it would have been fun to play with. Another great place to keep your phone (if you had remote touch) would be the door handle holes on the arm rest of the doors
I'll be sure to check out remote touch next time even if its on the showroom floor. And thanks for the cell tip
Old 03-06-11, 08:35 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by The X Men
Nice review tripleL. The RX350 is by far the most refined RX yet, the RX450h even more so. One thing I like about the RX450h is that the steering is stiffer and makes the RXh feel like it handles better. BTW, the remote touch is a must try, its the most user friendly multi-function controller I have use to date.
Thanks and I will definitely check out the remote touch.

I thought the 350 was very refined too, although I'm intrigued by your comment that the 450h was even more so. I say this because of the CVT. My only point of reference is my father's Camry Hybrid and although overall it is very nice, I wouldn't say the engine sound while accelerating sounds refined and my guess would be because of the CVT. As I think about it more his is a 4cyl vs the 6cyl in the RX so that may be a big difference just like the sound of any 6 vs 4. Maybe?

I'll get a chance to find out for myself in April as I told my friend to make sure he brings his 450h when we get together for my b'day
Old 03-06-11, 08:51 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I can say is when you are ready to buy, test the actual RX you are buying on a bumpy road. Seems like many people, myself included, have a rattle problem with the RX, 450 or 350
Old 03-06-11, 11:10 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

If you keep doing reviews like this, MMarshall is going to be out of a job
Thank you very much. I've enjoyed and learned so much from mmarshall's and for that matter 1SICK's reviews over the last 5+ years and I'm happy to try and give something back to the community.

I test drove both the RX350 and the RX450h back to back. The RXh was quieter and smoother. I am guessing the engine shut off at stop and the de-tune Atkinson cycle engine make the RXh quieter and the CVT and the electronic brakes make the RXh smoother. The improved gas mileage, tighter steering and the VDIM are also major considerations when I pick the RXh over the RX.
I appreciate you sharing this with me. One of the reason's why I also drove the GX was for the quieter and smoother aspects of it. I'm looking forward to driving my friend's RXh next month and will definitely do a back to back test drive of both the RX and RXh when I get closer to making a purchase.

Last edited by TripleL; 03-06-11 at 11:14 AM.
Old 03-06-11, 11:12 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by Mkml63
All I can say is when you are ready to buy, test the actual RX you are buying on a bumpy road. Seems like many people, myself included, have a rattle problem with the RX, 450 or 350
Thanks for the head's up. I did see a thread on this in the Hybrid section and will continue to track it. At this point there doesn't seem to be a known fix for it, but I would guess knowing Lexus that one isn't too far off. Hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later.
Old 03-06-11, 11:27 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Be careful TripleL, once you drive your friend's 450h, you might get one sooner than later Lots of fun features including remote touch to play with. And my RX is rattle free.
Old 03-06-11, 05:40 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by kitlz
Be careful TripleL, once you drive your friend's 450h, you might get one sooner than later Lots of fun features including remote touch to play with. And my RX is rattle free.
Thanks!

I'll definitely mark you down as one who is very happy with the RXh and I'll be sure to update everyone as I move forward.
Old 03-06-11, 07:18 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Since we are on a roll, I will share my experience with you on my 05 GX470
The GX is smooth rider, mainly because of its air suspension, the RXh is about just as quiet as the GX. Major difference is handling, the GX handles like the way it looks, tall and unstable. Driving the GX above 75 MPG will need the driver's full attention, the GX on a windy day on the highway is no fun to drive, its behaves like a sailboat at full sail I got about 12 MPG in my GX, all city and short trips, the new one is suppose to be better on gas, but only 1 MPG better in the city. Cargo space wise, the GX was disapponting as well, I could not fit a mattress in the GX once and had to bring back a RAV4 to bring the mattress home. The GX was build solid as a rock, no rattles after 3 years. Also, the GX had one of the best 4WD system I have driven, right up there with the Grand Cherokee and Audi Quattro. Lastly, we like the RX's power tailgate much better than the GX's manual barn door.
Awesome post! I also noticed you are just up the road from me in MA so I'm sure we've traveled on some of the same roads which makes the ride and handling experiences you have shared really hit close to home

I think it's fantastic that you've owned 2 of the vehicles I'm considering and are so willing to share your thoughts. Thanks as you've touched on many things that are important to me and my purchase. Especially since I tend to keep cars 6 to 8 years or longer.

I agree about the handling comments you made about the RX as I felt very much at home tossing it around, although I'm told KDSS helps the GX alot. As for the high speed driving in the GX I haven't read any reviews or comments about that in my research thus far for a 2GX. However I'm glad you've shared that and will certainly do some more research on it when I get closer as highway cruising is very important to me. Of course I need to comment that I've only been reading in the 2GX forum and I haven't spent anytime at all in the 1GX forum so I could have missed it, or I'm just in denial of seeing it LOL

You mentioned Quattro. I always smile when I hear that word. I luv'd my A4 Quattro. I agree, based on my research the GX has a fine system too. Could you share any thoughts on the RXh AWD in the snow? I've read and understand its a completely different set up with the Hybrid and I tend to find myself a few hours away in Western MA at times and like to get home. I would be interested in your thoughts (or anyone's thoughts in general) on how it handles snow especially on long drives on unknown snow covered roads.
Old 03-07-11, 05:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Since we are on a roll, I will share my experience with you on my 05 GX470
The GX is smooth rider, mainly because of its air suspension, the RXh is about just as quiet as the GX. Major difference is handling, the GX handles like the way it looks, tall and unstable. Driving the GX above 75 MPG will need the driver's full attention, the GX on a windy day on the highway is no fun to drive, its behaves like a sailboat at full sail I got about 12 MPG in my GX, all city and short trips, the new one is suppose to be better on gas, but only 1 MPG better in the city. Cargo space wise, the GX was disapponting as well, I could not fit a mattress in the GX once and had to bring back a RAV4 to bring the mattress home. The GX was build solid as a rock, no rattles after 3 years. Also, the GX had one of the best 4WD system I have driven, right up there with the Grand Cherokee and Audi Quattro. Lastly, we like the RX's power tailgate much better than the GX's manual barn door.
great post. the GX is mainly about off road / bad conditions capability and a smooth quiet ride. other than those nice things i think it's a dud because of, as you put it lol, the barn door, the narrow shape, the 3rd row seats that hugely compromise cargo space, and the bad gas mileage (heck my half the price V8 explorer does way better).

but still, if those aren't major concerns, then for a smooth quiet daily driver and 'go anywhere' vehicle, it's right up there with range rovers.

oh wait, this thread is about the RX... so i'd def. get the RX450h over the GX!
Old 03-07-11, 12:11 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
great post. the GX is mainly about off road / bad conditions capability and a smooth quiet ride. other than those nice things i think it's a dud because of, as you put it lol, the barn door, the narrow shape, the 3rd row seats that hugely compromise cargo space, and the bad gas mileage (heck my half the price V8 explorer does way better).

but still, if those aren't major concerns, then for a smooth quiet daily driver and 'go anywhere' vehicle, it's right up there with range rovers.

oh wait, this thread is about the RX... so i'd def. get the RX450h over the GX!
lol thanks bit I appreciate your insight as always!
Old 03-07-11, 12:55 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

I took the new GX460 out for a short test drive when I was shopping for the RX a few months ago. It has a nice looking interior, almost Range Rover like. The new GX seem even more solid than the last gen if that is at all possible. It’s very hard to tell how a car drives in different conditions on a 20 minute test drive, but it felt as smooth and quiet as the last gen. The new GX I test drove had the KDSS, I think it’s standard but I am not sure, I didn’t really push the truck hard because my wife and the salesman ware in tow. I would be lying if I say I have no worries about pushing the GX hard around the corners, especially after Consumer Reports came out with their review of the danger of rollover when they took the GX460 through their obstacle course last year. KDSS or not, the GX460 is more of a straight line cruiser as far as I am concerned. The new fold flat 2nd row seats and the power fold flat 3rd row seats are nice, but why is there no power tailgate?
Very good feedback, thank you.

TripleL, I see you had a A4 before your Lexus IS, we must think alike, because I currently own a 2011 Audi A6 and the Rx450h is actually my wife's car. The Quattro system is a bit better in the snow than the RXh, but considering that the RXh doesn’t have a permanent AWD like Audi, it’s actually not too bad in the snow. The RXh use a electric motor to drive the rear axle while the Rx350 use a electro-magnetic clutch pack to engage the rear axle, the RX350's AWD system is very similar to your Pilot's and the RAV4’s. The main different between the RX's AWD and the Pilot is that the Lexus stability is much better than Honda's, the better stability system makes the Lexus a much better car in the snow. Both of the RX and the RXh engage the rear wheel when accelerating and goes into FWD mode after that until it detect slippage. The RX350 also have AWD lock that can lock all 4 wheels up to something like 28 MPH, while the RX450h have a snow mode that can lock all 4 wheels at high speed.
You have excellent taste in cars I'll say that! I'll definitely will be test driving some Quattro's before I buy as I really loved driving my A4. I do keep my cars a long time so maintenance in the long run is a concern for me.

Back on topic!! Thanks for the description of the AWD. Both the RX and RXh don't have my first preference of permanent AWD. As you say its somewhat similar to my Pilot and I agree the new RX is probably better than the Pilot as my 04 has no stability control at all. Other than ground clearance my IS is far superior to our Pilot in dry/wet/snow. So maybe the difference of stability control in the new RXs makes a big difference in performance. That would certainly make sense to me.

Again, great conversation please feel free to share anything else you think might be useful.

Last edited by TripleL; 03-07-11 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Mini Review: Took a RX 350 AWD on an all day test drive