RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Windows and back hatch open unexpectedly

Old 02-16-11, 09:20 AM
lexuschar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windows and back hatch open unexpectedly

Anyone having this problem? From time to time, when our 2010 450h is parked in the garage or on the street, we later go out to the car only to find all the windows rolled down and sometimes the rear hatch open.

Of course the first thing we checked was the remote, but that is ok. You would have to hold down the buttons on the remote for this to happen. This is not the case. The remote is not touched and usually is just sitting up on the dresser.

Anyone else experienced this problem?

Thanks.
Old 02-16-11, 06:24 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only time I have had that happen is when the fob is in my pocket and I am working on something. I lean into whatever I am working on and I guess push one of the buttons. I have had this happen only once and happy I live in sunny Arizona.
Old 02-16-11, 06:47 PM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since we don't need to take the fob out of our pocket they should add a button to lock and unlock the other buttons
Old 02-16-11, 07:45 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Checked for ghosts or aliens?

Sorry, I'm not much help.
Old 02-17-11, 04:17 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

I've heard of this happening and it does worry me for security reasons.
Old 02-17-11, 04:57 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Originally Posted by k9shelly1
I've heard of this happening and it does worry me for security reasons.
My wife went into the garage one morning and came back to ask "why are all the windows and the sunroof open?". It was about 5°C, and obviously there was no logical reason for everything to be wide open. The likely explanation was that I may have unintentionally held down the button on the remote fob sometime the previous evening after putting the car in the garage. Or worse, I DIDN'T do that, and some stray radio signal triggered the "open all windows" feature.

Anyway, since it's a feature I can't ever foresee using, I had the feature disabled the next time I was in for Lexus service. I dread the thought of parking in some public place (in a parking lot, at the side of the street, etc.) and coming back to the car to find everything wide open.
Old 02-17-11, 06:40 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Are some of these folks kidding the rest of us?
Bring the car back to the dealer so they do a diagnostic or can change the Rf-code.
Its obvious that there is a common interference with something in the area. The same happens to garage doors opening with airplanes overhead. You may even have an electrical issue. This forum can't possibly get it resolved.
Don't leave any valuables in the car until you get it fixed.
Old 02-17-11, 02:42 PM
kyo7878
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BCRCornet
I DIDN'T do that, and some stray radio signal triggered the "open all windows" feature.
Funny that you mentioned this. I have not experienced the same issue but something else.
My office is directly across from local fire station, very so often when I'm going through a same intersection thats somewhat between the office and fire station, my car's emergency light would blink twice, radio would switch from FM to SAT1 and it cycles through all of the CDs inside changer and spit them out one after another.
At first I thought it was some kind of electronic glitch, or I accidentally pressed on something. As it happens more often, I figured it might be some kind of radio signal interference from the fire station.

sorry op i don't mean to high jack your thread..

Last edited by kyo7878; 02-17-11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-21-11, 02:15 AM
ekwlee
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BlueSurf
Are some of these folks kidding the rest of us?
Bring the car back to the dealer so they do a diagnostic or can change the Rf-code.
Its obvious that there is a common interference with something in the area. The same happens to garage doors opening with airplanes overhead. You may even have an electrical issue. This forum can't possibly get it resolved.
Don't leave any valuables in the car until you get it fixed.
they didn't bring it back for this...all they did was just disable the feature...you can have it disabled..it's one of the lexus personalized features you can customize..
Old 02-21-11, 08:21 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Now wait a minute, this is becoming like a TV episode of "X-Files" or "Supernatural".

Isn't the signal from the fob to car an encrypted, rolling code. Not likely to be duplicated or simulated by someone trying to break the code let alone random signals from a fire station?

Next we'll be discussing sudden unintended acceleration, again.
Old 02-21-11, 09:21 AM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Fob-to-car Radio Signal

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Isn't the signal from the fob to car an encrypted, rolling code. Not likely to be duplicated or simulated by someone trying to break the code...
I can't tell if you're being facetious, or not.

If the fob-to-car radio signal is encrypted, I'd be impressed. The thought had never occurred to me before - I'd always assumed it was some simple [unencrypted] radio signal.
Old 02-21-11, 11:52 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Give me a bit and I'll try and find something on the internet....yeah I know....not the internet....

Back shortly....
Old 02-21-11, 12:01 PM
data2009
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BCRCornet
If the fob-to-car radio signal is encrypted, I'd be impressed. The thought had never occurred to me before - I'd always assumed it was some simple [unencrypted] radio signal.
So based on this, anyone with the same RX remote as yours can come over to your car and open it?
Old 02-21-11, 12:02 PM
DunWkg
Racer

First attempt, I'll look for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeeLoq

Lexus isn't specifically mentioned.
Old 02-21-11, 12:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Have to ask, where is the second remote? Keeping the key fob in a pocketbooks does not keep this phemonenon from happening. I know

David, I had the key fob in my pocket yesterday, reaching down to pick up branches that fell after Saturday's windy weather and the alarm went off. Never happened to me before. Geez is that sucker loud. Thank God I was several feet away. Otherwise I would have been hanging from a branch that didn't hit the ground

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Windows and back hatch open unexpectedly