RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-12, 02:46 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Jim,

The "disparity" comment was not direct at you. Your excellent mileage is well documented and I respect your efforts to get and maintain good mileage, in addition to your helping others reach good mileage.

The disparity is in the numbers GoHuskers mentioned on his last fill up.

Using those numbers from GoHuskers:

Car thinks:
441 Cruising Range
17.9 MPG
24.6 gallons in the tank? (not likely)

Calculations:
441 Cruising Range
30 MPG
14.7 gallons in the tank? (very possible)
My mistake. I re-read my message and saw that I typed 17.9 mpg where it should be 27.9 mpg. I have since updated that. So, the Tank average said 27.9 mpg but it only took 13.992 gals for 430 miles (the pump stopped at 13.992 gals). After refueling the Cruising range says 441 miles.

Happy the 4th of July everyone.
Old 07-03-12, 03:29 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ahhh then, the disparity isn't so bad after all. Thanks for the correction.
Old 07-04-12, 11:03 AM
RandyinAZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Consensus on regular or premium fuel, then?

Just got a 2011 RX350 AWD and I'm loving everything so far. I've read all the posts and it seems others do not really have a consensus on whether to run premium, mid, or regular fuel. Cap says premium, but the dealer says there is no engine change for 2012 and 2012 asks for regular fuel (dealer says exact same engine). Any thoughts?

I just traded my 2008 ES350 and used premium every single time.

I bought my RX used (25,700 miles) so I can't say what the driving styles were, but computer shows overall 21.9mpg.

Thanks to all!
Old 07-04-12, 11:33 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyinAZ
Just got a 2011 RX350 AWD and I'm loving everything so far. I've read all the posts and it seems others do not really have a consensus on whether to run premium, mid, or regular fuel. Cap says premium, but the dealer says there is no engine change for 2012 and 2012 asks for regular fuel (dealer says exact same engine). Any thoughts?

I just traded my 2008 ES350 and used premium every single time.

I bought my RX used (25,700 miles) so I can't say what the driving styles were, but computer shows overall 21.9mpg.

Thanks to all!
Exact same engine, but detuned to 270HP in 2012 to use regular; you should be using Premium in a 2011!!
Old 07-05-12, 04:35 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

It always amazes me when people buy a luxury SUV and expect to get good gas mileage. After all these years, everyone should know that the EPA figures are wrong! If one is looking for a car that gets good gas mileage, buy a Prius. SUV's don't get good mileage and almost no vehicle gets what the EPA says it will.

I use regular in my 2010 and it runs fine. I get 14 in the city and around 20 on highway because I am hard on the gas peddle. I drive 80 or more on the highway. If you want to max out your mileage, drive like an old person. BTW, I am old but I still drive like I did when I was a teenager. Speaking for myself, if I had to worry about mileage or the price of gas, I would not be driving a Lexus RX.
Old 07-05-12, 05:56 PM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...Gosh!!!!...don't be so hard on yourself....I agree with you about the mileage on the SUVs..I have always had one and yes economically they are not...but the RX is "decent"...
Old 07-09-12, 02:18 PM
WALLEYEGUY
Driver School Candidate

2011 ......without awd and i get the same......count yourself lucky
Old 07-09-12, 04:20 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1
It always amazes me when people buy a luxury SUV and expect to get good gas mileage. After all these years, everyone should know that the EPA figures are wrong! If one is looking for a car that gets good gas mileage, buy a Prius. SUV's don't get good mileage and almost no vehicle gets what the EPA says it will.

I use regular in my 2010 and it runs fine. I get 14 in the city and around 20 on highway because I am hard on the gas peddle. I drive 80 or more on the highway. If you want to max out your mileage, drive like an old person. BTW, I am old but I still drive like I did when I was a teenager. Speaking for myself, if I had to worry about mileage or the price of gas, I would not be driving a Lexus RX.
Where have you been? There are plenty of SUV's that get good fuel economy...Ok, fine! There are plenty of CUV's that get good fuel economy.

Also, you must have a heavy foot (like you mentioned), because I have beat the EPA rating on every single car I've owned and not just by a tiny bit, but by a large amount, not even trying. I drive pretty aggressively and can still beat the EPA rating.
Old 07-09-12, 05:14 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bextreme1

I have a Prius which is my daily driver here in LA.
The range and RX 350 are my weekend pals.
I have a 2011 and been using 87 for about a year now.
My city gets 17-19 but my highway can go as far as 24.7

You get 14/20 on your RX? Well i get that on my Range and it has a V8.

I would say, EPA on both my RX And the Prius are close to the posted values.
My Prius even exceeds the advertised 51 mpg on a city, it can go 60ish easy especially on traffic
I posted somewhere, a link of a picture of these milage.

Last edited by markrivers; 07-10-12 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-16-12, 11:21 PM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

I have about 17K miles on my 2011 AWD. If I drive like I normally do, I get about 14.5 mpg in the city (stop and go traffic in LA where my avg speed is 12mph). If I drive like a grandma I can get 16 mpg but it drives me nuts to go so slow. I just took a 2hr drive on the freeway and really babied it, slow accel and kept it at 65mph. Door to door, I averaged my best ever at 25.1mpg. Admittedly, I was driving like such a wuss that I could never drive like that on a daily basis. Normally I get around 22 on the highway at around 70-75mph. I know these cars get ****ty gas mileage so it doesn't bother me too much. What does bother me is that my two friends with their diesel SUVs (BMW X5 and MBZ GL) both get around 30mpg on the highway, and that Benz is huge. Makes me think I should have got that car. Much bigger, full size third row, and superior gas mileage. Hmmm
Old 07-17-12, 11:12 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onefastdoc
I have about 17K miles on my 2011 AWD. If I drive like I normally do, I get about 14.5 mpg in the city (stop and go traffic in LA where my avg speed is 12mph). If I drive like a grandma I can get 16 mpg but it drives me nuts to go so slow. I just took a 2hr drive on the freeway and really babied it, slow accel and kept it at 65mph. Door to door, I averaged my best ever at 25.1mpg. Admittedly, I was driving like such a wuss that I could never drive like that on a daily basis. Normally I get around 22 on the highway at around 70-75mph. I know these cars get ****ty gas mileage so it doesn't bother me too much. What does bother me is that my two friends with their diesel SUVs (BMW X5 and MBZ GL) both get around 30mpg on the highway, and that Benz is huge. Makes me think I should have got that car. Much bigger, full size third row, and superior gas mileage. Hmmm
You certainly keep too much pressure on the pedal while it is very sensible.
Here in France, Europe, I usually drive at 80,77 mph (130km/h) a legal speed in France, and consumption is actually around 23.5 MPG (US) (max) to a minimum of almost 30 MPG (US) (but without the cruise (cruise off), flat road and no wind, tire pressure max 3bar.

At this speed , Diesel SUV like X5, Q7 or Volov XC90 have more or less same consumption. This also depends on the total weight of your car (options, and other additional weight, like golf clubs, etc.). This car is not really for driving on a motorway, the benefit from hybrid system is lower than driving in cities and around, samll road, etc. and there nobody can compete the rx considering its weight and size.
Competition is also on NOX emissions, dust and noise... diesel but nothing with your RX.

If you pay attention to your driving style and looking at the instant cosumption facing you into the Board computer you can see how sensitive is the acceleration and whether you have selected or not the eco mode. It's a learning process to drive hybrid. Try to optimise breakings and accelerations to get batteries loaded as long as possible and use electrical energy when possible to avoid oil motor to run and finally you will appreciate consumption and environmental behavior

Last edited by Alpy64; 07-17-12 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-17-12, 03:43 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=onefastdoc;7362354 What does bother me is that my two friends with their diesel SUVs (BMW X5 and MBZ GL) both get around 30mpg on the highway, and that Benz is huge. Makes me think I should have got that car. Much bigger, full size third row, and superior gas mileage. Hmmm[/QUOTE]

Yes, but have you checked the price of diesel gas?? I haven't looked in a while, but I've seen it over $1/gal more than regular. I don't know exact figures, but I'll bet it at least evens out. Plus diesel cars are generally more expensive to buy.

I get pretty close to the EPA numbers 18/24
Old 07-19-12, 07:47 PM
najitah1
Driver School Candidate

I use only premium gas. 85% city driving-getting about 18.3mpg
Old 07-20-12, 07:54 AM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I attended my dealer's new owner's event last night (pretty much a waste of time) and they were adamant that our cars required premium gas. They even pointed out that it states premium on the fuel-filler door.

I mentioned that the 12's had been detuned to take regular and that my fuel door only warns against E-85,

There was quite an uproar from the other new owners.
Old 07-20-12, 08:50 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When EVERY car review about the 2012 & 2013's brags about the point that it uses regular gas and even point out the 5HP less because of that, I can't imagine a dealership not being aware of it.....tell them to READ A BROCHURE!!!

Quick Reply: The 3RX Gas Mileage Thread