RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoying Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-11, 04:13 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Annoying Wind Noise

Hello fellow RX owners,

Late last year we picked up a fairly loaded 2010 RX350. We love just about everything in the vehicle except wind noise detectable in the front seat. At any speed over 60mph, wind noise is very noticeable up front. It appears to be coming from the driver's door. Since I'm always driving, I don't know if the front passenger door.

Any other RX owners have this problem?

Past postings suggest it could be the crossbars on the roof rack. Or could be single pane glass. So far I haven't found a way to remove the crossbars but I did verify they are installed correctly. My RX does have the dual-pan windows.

Thanks.
Old 02-02-11, 04:17 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

I should also mention I haven't taken the RX for service yet. It currently has 2k miles on it. This is certainly one of the things I will ask the dealer to inspect.
Old 02-02-11, 04:44 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have not noticed excessive wind noise at highway speeds. If anything, I have been very pleasantly surprised at how quiet the RX is, much more than I expected from an SUV. You might consider taking another RX out for a test drive to compare before you go in for service.
Old 02-02-11, 04:56 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I have not noticed excessive wind noise at highway speeds. If anything, I have been very pleasantly surprised at how quiet the RX is, much more than I expected from an SUV. You might consider taking another RX out for a test drive to compare before you go in for service.
Excellent idea. I'll definitely go see our salesman again and ask for another test drive. None of our past cars have ever exhibited this kind of wind noise. It sounds like a window that isn't closed all the way but it sounds like it's coming from inside the door panel instead.
Old 02-02-11, 06:36 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to your dealer, test drive another RX to see if you hear the same wind noise, bring a dB meter if you have one so you can show the difference in noise level to the service advisor..
Old 02-07-11, 11:52 AM
RXmunky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing I noticed re: wind noise is when the sun roof is open 100%. I find that pushing the slide button once opens it 75% which doesn't cause any wind noise. However, when I push it again to have it open 100% it causes wind noise.
Old 02-07-11, 01:20 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

There's something about the door seal such that I hear wind noise right by my left ear when driving. If it's raining, I hear the raindrops there too. I have the dual pane glass and no windows nor sunroof open and with no crossbars on the roof. I think it's just inherent to to the design.
Old 02-07-11, 02:30 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

When I compared it to my 2007 IS250, the RX350 has more wind noise. May be it is taller or may the design.
Old 02-07-11, 09:53 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

On mine, it was the crossbars. Once removed, it is as quiet as my RX400h was.
Steve
Old 02-08-11, 07:26 AM
kenbrooks2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 20mpg
Hello fellow RX owners,

Late last year we picked up a fairly loaded 2010 RX350. We love just about everything in the vehicle except wind noise detectable in the front seat. At any speed over 60mph, wind noise is very noticeable up front. It appears to be coming from the driver's door. Since I'm always driving, I don't know if the front passenger door.

Any other RX owners have this problem?

Past postings suggest it could be the crossbars on the roof rack. Or could be single pane glass. So far I haven't found a way to remove the crossbars but I did verify they are installed correctly. My RX does have the dual-pan windows.

Thanks.
I thought all vehicles used acoustic noise reducing glass. If not, how do I find out if mine does? (2011 RX 350 AWD)
Old 02-09-11, 12:57 PM
jquinn14
Driver School Candidate

I had wind noise as well. Went in several times to have it checked out. Finally, they replaced the single paned windows with the double paned and that helped. It hasn't taken care of all of it as I still hear noise from the door as well. I figure it's probably the seal. I had a leak in the roof of the car that ran down the door. I'm pretty sure they replaced the seal after they made that fix and it's still noisy. I've given up trying to deal with it.
Old 02-09-11, 11:17 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by The X Men
The windshield is made form acoustic glass, but not the side windows.
Not true. The side windows are double-paned with a sheet of damping material sandwiched between the panes. This change was made in the middle of the 2010 model year and there is a TSB for this when wind noise is noticeable.
Old 02-10-11, 12:56 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How do I know if I have the dual pane windows? Is there a symbol on the window?
Old 02-10-11, 08:38 AM
yahj
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2008M3
How do I know if I have the dual pane windows? Is there a symbol on the window?
Try to feel the edge of the glass, dual pane windows have a v-shaped edges
Old 02-14-11, 08:41 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Just roll the window down halfway and look. Dual panes have two pieces of glass on either side, with a darker piece of grayish plastic between them. There's an older thread on here with photos if you search.

Quick Reply: Annoying Wind Noise