RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Annoying Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-11, 09:03 AM
Mkml63
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a loaner rx 350 today and I have noticed wind noise on the drivers side as well. My 450h is in for dashboard rattle, thank heaven I don't have the wind noise, the rattle/squeaking is driving me nuts as it is
Old 02-14-11, 02:20 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just want to give you all an update on my RX.

Because I'm not due for service yet, I haven't take this back to the dealer yet for them to investigate. So for the time being, I'm trying to see if I can narrow the problem down a bit.

I drive 50 minutes of freeway every day so I have plent of time to experiment with my noise problem. At speed of 65mph or higher, I can hear wind noise 90% of the duration when I'm driving. The noise I'm hearing is wind rustling/turbulence somewhere around the driver's door. It's not general noise I can hear through the vehicle when a truck or motorcycle passes by.

The past week I experimented with a few things.

1) I drove for 15 min with the driver's side mirror folded in. Results = SAME. I noticed no change.

2) I used black electrical tape and sealed the driver's door shut. I wanted to see if wind was getting in around the door seals. Results = SAME. I noticed no change and my RX probably looked silly on the freeway.

3) Today I used electrical tape on the exterior seal all around the driver's window. Results = BETTER. However it's not completely gone. I can still hear it but it isn't quite as obvious. I didn't do a thorough job of sealing the window with tape so I'm going to try this again. But I'm thinking this is looking like a window seal problem.

And my further plan includes:

- Remove roof rack crossars (As soon as I figure out how to remove the end caps)
- Test drive another RX. Need to find time to drop by the dealer.
- Ultimately a visit the dealer. I put this last because I really don't want them to use my RX as a specimen to figure this out.

Last edited by 20mpg; 02-14-11 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-21-11, 08:04 AM
2008M3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 20mpg
Just want to give you all an update on my RX.

Because I'm not due for service yet, I haven't take this back to the dealer yet for them to investigate. So for the time being, I'm trying to see if I can narrow the problem down a bit.

I drive 50 minutes of freeway every day so I have plent of time to experiment with my noise problem. At speed of 65mph or higher, I can hear wind noise 90% of the duration when I'm driving. The noise I'm hearing is wind rustling/turbulence somewhere around the driver's door. It's not general noise I can hear through the vehicle when a truck or motorcycle passes by.

The past week I experimented with a few things.

1) I drove for 15 min with the driver's side mirror folded in. Results = SAME. I noticed no change.

2) I used black electrical tape and sealed the driver's door shut. I wanted to see if wind was getting in around the door seals. Results = SAME. I noticed no change and my RX probably looked silly on the freeway.

3) Today I used electrical tape on the exterior seal all around the driver's window. Results = BETTER. However it's not completely gone. I can still hear it but it isn't quite as obvious. I didn't do a thorough job of sealing the window with tape so I'm going to try this again. But I'm thinking this is looking like a window seal problem.

And my further plan includes:

- Remove roof rack crossars (As soon as I figure out how to remove the end caps)
- Test drive another RX. Need to find time to drop by the dealer.
- Ultimately a visit the dealer. I put this last because I really don't want them to use my RX as a specimen to figure this out.

Do you need help removing the end caps? I just removed mine and sold my crossbars. I could probably help you out if you are in the Los Angeles area. No guarantees that I don't break them tho, but mine worked out fine. Just don't apply too much pressure.
Old 02-22-11, 11:51 PM
stw2046
Driver

Front windows and windshield are made with acoustic glass.
Old 02-24-11, 03:52 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 2008M3
Do you need help removing the end caps? I just removed mine and sold my crossbars. I could probably help you out if you are in the Los Angeles area. No guarantees that I don't break them tho, but mine worked out fine. Just don't apply too much pressure.
Thanks for the offer 2008M3. Unfortunately I'm in Norther CA so that's a bit out of the way.

After tinkering with this more, I'm going to throw in the towel and just take it back to the dealer next month. This wind noise is driving me nuts. I tried sealing up all the windows and door gaps with tape but I still can hear wind rustling from somewhere around the driver's door. Still can't get the roof rails off. To avoid breaking the roof rail end caps, I'm just going to let the dealer do it. If they break it, they can replace it on their dime.
Old 03-29-11, 07:13 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The X Men
Try putting both rails to the rear most position, see if that helps with the wind noise. Some roof rails are directional, I am not sure if the RX's rail are directional or not, should be some sort of direction or arrows showing it. On directional rails, if its install backwards, it can cause exccessive wind noise.
Been real busy at work and just hadn't got around to play with this some more until this week. I had the roof rails already as far back as they go. However this weekend I had to slide the front rail up again to haul some 2x4 wood. Do this actually increased the wind noise slightly. So now I'm thinking maybe the noise IS coming from the rails (or thumb *****) after all.

Today I went out and bought some plastic pry bars from Harbor Freight Tools for less than $10. With the tool, I easily popped off the roof rail covers and now the crossbars are off the vehicle.

Will see how it goes this week.
Old 04-13-11, 03:27 PM
20mpg
Driver School Candidate

I take the crossbars off every one of my SUVs, but I dont use the crossbars at all. Sounds like you do, and its a pain getting those bars on and off. If you take off those end caps often enough, those plastic tabs will break eventually. I think the best solution is to buy an after market cross bar that you can take off and on easily.
After over a week of driving the RX without the crossbars attached, I'm thrilled to report that at least 80%of the noise that was bothering me is gone. Now I can actually listen to music without the constant whistling noise.

I do on occasion use crossbars for hauling stuff but not enough to want the sound to come back. I'm definitely leaving the off for now.

Thanks for all those who helped. The joy of owning this RX is back now.
Old 04-16-11, 11:36 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I was just gonna say that I don't have this noise that you were referring to, but then again, I don't have crossbars. I just have the the silver roof rails. So no wind noise issues here.

Speaking of the glass on the windows, I was wondering if any of you guys have noticed how exceptionally quiet the electric windows are when rolling them up after opening them. I have to say I'm still impressed with how super quiet they are when rolling them up. And I noticed this immediately after first driving my RX, and after coming from an '07 RX.
Old 04-18-11, 10:52 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And the power windows actually slows down about an inch before it is completely closes so it doesnt slam against the window frame.
LOL! That's exactly what I was trying to say! I must admit I'm impressed each time I put the windows up! Very high quality feel.
Old 04-19-11, 12:52 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be the best for you to bring the car back to the service department and ask them to offer a loaner so they can take their time and inspect the problem slowly. I usually head right back to the dealership whenever I discover any issue that has to do with the warranty and that's why the warranty is there for.
Old 04-19-11, 01:01 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2011 RX350 AWD with the silver roof rails. Lately, it's been extremely windy in DFW and I could definitely hear wind noise from cross winds, which I believe are coming from the roof rails.

Last edited by Jerome; 04-19-11 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-20-11, 07:55 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm planning take off the roof rails to reduce some wind noise, but it makes the car look so weak. oh well, "let it and forget it"
Old 04-21-11, 12:46 PM
catchlizzy
Driver School Candidate

I've actually seen several RX's (both RX350 and RX450h) in DFW without the roof rails. The Smoky Granite Mica and Black ones without the roof rails are still sweet looking. I think Lexus should re-design the roof rails as I believe they contribute to pronounced wind noise, especially cross winds. I'm surprised that it doesn't take much cross winds to produce noticeable wind noise.
Old 04-23-11, 03:09 AM
iewiew
Driver

I'm taking mine in next week for wind noise. My guess is that the seals are not designed correctly. My steering column sounds like it is going to fall off it rattles so much.
Old 04-23-11, 03:38 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Just drove @ 80-90mph today with windy conditions, pretty quite so far and this LUV drives like a car.

Quick Reply: Annoying Wind Noise