RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

6 Month or 5k service?

Old 11-26-13, 11:23 AM
Sh1nra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Month or 5k service?

Hey guys, we just received a notice for a 6 month service for our 2013 Rx350 we bought in July.
Though the first two services are free, should we go in now for the service or wait until we hit the 5k marker? The car has 2.5k miles so far.

What do you guys do?
Old 11-26-13, 11:29 AM
mshumack
Driver

Take it in and have them look it over. They assume you drive 10,000 miles/yr. It doesn't cost anything. The purpose is to catch any "assembly" defects or problems before they become noticable to you and ruin your Lexus buying experience.
Old 11-26-13, 12:59 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

I skipped mine since it doesn't include an oil change. As with my other Lexuses, there are no MFG defects to catch.
Old 11-26-13, 02:38 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

when i went in for my 5,000 miles, i think i was close to 1 year of ownership.
i wouldn't be afraid of any defects on a car with 2,500 miles on it, unless you're hearing/feeling something out of the ordinary.

The complimentary check up is 5,000 and 10,000.
the oil change is done on the 2nd/ 10,000 miles check up.
if you bring it now and then back again at 5,000 miles ( 2nd check up).. they might not change the oil UNLESS you specifically ask for it.

something to think about.
Old 11-26-13, 03:42 PM
mshumack
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
I skipped mine since it doesn't include an oil change. As with my other Lexuses, there are no MFG defects to catch.
It is unlikely that there is an issue - but mechanical things tend to fail on a "bathtub curve". There is a higher percentage of failure right after manufacture, then very low failure rate, then it starts to increase again as the device (car) ages. So Lexus wants to catch the infant failure. Maybe a bolt wasn't tightened up correctly on the assembly line or a fluid level check was missed on the pre-delivery inspection, etc.
In my case, Lexus is only 20 minutes down the road and they have a nice assortment of bagels and muffins to go along with the free coffee.
Old 11-27-13, 06:13 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

OP, I also put very low mileage on my RX, but care A LOT about maintaining it's reliability. In my case, when I hit the 6 month mark with not 2K miles on my 2013, I took it in for it's 5K service. My thought being as mshumack suggests, an "ounce of prevention may be worth something" -- especially on a brand new $50K+ vehicle. It cost me nothing but my time for the service, and I got some free cappuccino and such while I waited less than an hour. It also allowed me to then talk to the SA about when to bring my RX in for the 10K service given my low mileage -- his comment to me was I could push it out to close to 18 months (not over), I'd be fine and he could still get the service through warranty... I suggest you also establish a relationship like that with your SA, and perhaps consider doing something like I'll do with my free 10K service, and future annual services. (FWIW, I also pushed my annual service out an extra 2-5 months every year on my previous RX400h when mileage was well under 5K in that timeframe, with no issues and no warranty or extended warranty service claim issues.)
Old 11-27-13, 11:10 AM
AZJoe
Driver

I had the same question. 2013 RX350, Dec 12 purchase, 2,500 miles at 6 months. Called two dealers to ask what to do, because I want to be sure to maintain the warranty. Of course one said bring it in at 6 months, the other said OK to wait until 5,000 miles. Never had this issue before, because I always drove many more miles. The manual says which ever comes first, mileage or time. Why can't we all get on the same page.

Cappuccino....I gotta get a new dealer
Old 11-27-13, 05:27 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AZJoe
Cappuccino....I gotta get a new dealer
Yup, you gotta come to Escondido -- just a few hours west of you -- and you can partake of your own almost private Barista to make your concoction just as you want like those overpriced coffee chains , along with a variety of free danish, cookies, sodas, and such. Oh, and if that does not flick your Bic, there are large screen TVs, free Wi-Fi, a room for the kids to play in, a quiet room with dark wood paneling, soft music and personal massage chairs, or a top-of-the-line golf simulator with all the courses to spend your time with if you prefer not to have a loaner. (...and for the dealer haters out there, yes, you DO pay for that as part of the service cost when it's beyond warranty, but for me, the pampering once every 15 months or so and quality experience every time is my treat to myself. It makes me feel like I live in Beverly Hills for a few moments ... which I CERTAINLY don't!)
Old 11-27-13, 06:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'll pass on the cappuccinos and massage chairs

I never hit the miles either but go in every six months. First service isn't just about checking the RX. It's also your opportunity to ask them to make changes to the personalized settings. And it'll only cost you some time so why not.
Old 11-28-13, 03:23 PM
GoGiantsNJ
Pole Position

I skipped the first service on my RX and my Wife's IS. Both 2012's. When I brought both vehicles in the second service they tried to charge me until I told them about their complimentary free second service. I like the Lexus RX and IS, but I'm not that impressed with service at the Dealership.

Happy Thanksgiving all.
Old 11-30-13, 07:51 PM
dwlink
Driver

Honestly, I think the 5k service intervals are a joke and are really only in place for dealerships to take more of your money. Some people enjoy the convenience, but I'm a bit more price conscious about paying someone else to do basic work that I can do with a few tools.

However, I do think the service schedule serves as a nice checklist for DIYers. Aside of tire rotations I do everything else based more on condition. I'll the engine oil changed every 10k or so, the brakes when they get low, brake fluid every other year, top up fluids as necessary, etc.

Especially with regards to brake fluid (which absorbs moisture in the air), some service items are more appropriate to address based on time rather than mileage. Similarly, air filters for those in dusty climates need to be changed more frequently than those who live in areas with few particulates in the air.

I've asked for a nice floor jack this year for the holidays so assuming I get that, I'll probably only use the dealership for non-standard maintenance or more complicated break downs.
Old 12-01-13, 07:40 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dwlink
Honestly, I think the 5k service intervals are a joke and are really only in place for dealerships to take more of your money. Some people enjoy the convenience, but I'm a bit more price conscious about paying someone else to do basic work that I can do with a few tools.
The first two (5k & 10k) are complimentary, therefor everything is obviously under warranty if there are any other issues. So what are you bantering about? Lexus' intervals are 10k miles. On a new vehicle they recommend at half way (5k) bringing it in for a check up, for free. Same exact thing with my VW, 10k intervals but bring it in for a check up at 5k. So as you stated "I think 5k intervals are a joke" there aren't any 5k intervals, they're 10k. It's the first & free 5k check up to insure your Lexus is operating as designed. No?

Last edited by sick21; 12-01-13 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-01-13, 09:46 AM
dwlink
Driver

Originally Posted by sick21
So as you stated "I think 5k intervals are a joke" there aren't any 5k intervals, they're 10k. It's the first & free 5k check up to insure your Lexus is operating as designed. No?
http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/RX_RXh_WSG.pdf

Jump to page 48 as printed in the bottom corner of the pages (the actual page number and PDF page numbers are misaligned). They are every 5k and yes you are paying lexus a few dollars for them to check basic things like the floor mat and swap key fob batteries in unnecessarily.
Old 12-01-13, 11:39 AM
sick21
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My apologies. The stealership I had last talked to informed they are 10k. Haha I am the bantering one. Good thing I didn't buy from that schmuck.
Old 12-01-13, 01:35 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I questioned the 5,000 mile service also and double checked for the 2014 RX and sure enough:

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ce-schedule.do

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 6 Month or 5k service?