RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Protect those fog lights $!$!$!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-12, 02:02 PM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So sorry. Went out for some errands, just got back. Photo attached. Taken just 2 mins ago.

Old 04-21-12, 02:12 PM
EZ3Putt
Driver School Candidate

After reading this......I just ordered mine in optic blue
Old 04-21-12, 07:34 PM
dnkyle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZ3Putt
After reading this......I just ordered mine in optic blue
Same here 1 for RX and 1 for Tundra also order the rear bumper too.

Thanks smehta for the info and pictures
Old 04-22-12, 05:02 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...what is the protection that you guys are talking about?....hint...hint pleae...lol...lets see I guess is some sort of added protection for the fog lights?...
Old 04-22-12, 05:23 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

FYI svofan1, it's illegal to put any film on the fog lights or headlights in NJ. What isn't around here
Old 04-22-12, 05:49 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Anita
If put on in clear the only one that's going to know probably is the rock that couldn't break the lens . Now if you use something like yellow it might be noticeable. I have the optic blue and I doubt it's noticeable unless under an inspection. It's certainly not blue when the lights are on, just less 'blah'.
Originally Posted by kitlz
FYI svofan1, it's illegal to put any film on the fog lights or headlights in NJ. What isn't around here
Old 04-22-12, 06:13 AM
smehta
Driver School Candidate

I posted the photo above. With the naked eye, it does not look that blue at all. Very light blue. Barely noticeable. It looks like the lens has a blue hue. When the FOGs are on, there is virtually NO blue tone to the light. Looks clear.

My photo makes it look a bit more blue then actual - due to close up, flash from camera phone causing saturation etc...

But trust me, its hardly noticeable at all. No one would know unless you pointed their attention to it.
Old 04-22-12, 08:12 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Anita
If put on in clear the only one that's going to know probably is the rock that couldn't break the lens . Now if you use something like yellow it might be noticeable. I have the optic blue and I doubt it's noticeable unless under an inspection. It's certainly not blue when the lights are on, just less 'blah'.
Well, we dropped the safety inspection a year ago so maybe it won't be noticed. Just wanted to put it out there since it can result in a ticket. I haven't put anything on the 450h.
Old 04-22-12, 08:14 AM
svofan1
Pole Position

Anita thanks...what would I do without you?....lol....sometimes I feel that I have know you forever...thanks for the heads up...but I was think in "breaking the law" with the clear ones for the protection avlue....what are your thought?...my "guru lady"?
Old 04-22-12, 08:34 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by svofan1
Anita thanks...what would I do without you?....lol....sometimes I feel that I have know you forever...thanks for the heads up...but I was think in "breaking the law" with the clear ones for the protection avlue....what are your thought?...my "guru lady"?
People put tint on their cars even though it's illegal too. I doubt you'd get harassed for a little clear film on the fog lights. BTW, make sure you remove the dealer license plate frame. That's also a no no around here. Obstructs the license plate, LOL.
Old 04-22-12, 11:59 AM
zmanRX350
Driver

I installed Lamin-X Fog Light Color:Clear (40 mil) last Fall. Install was easy. Make sure you clean the fog lens before applying Lamin-X. Use exact-O knife or straight razor blade to trim Lamin-X to fit. Since mine is clear, its not too noticeable that I did not cut exactly a smooth Oval.
Purchased online for $14.95 + shipping.
http://www.lamin-x.com/Lexus-RX-10-F...ers-p/l116.htm
Old 04-22-12, 03:03 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
People put tint on their cars even though it's illegal too. I doubt you'd get harassed for a little clear film on the fog lights. BTW, make sure you remove the dealer license plate frame. That's also a no no around here. Obstructs the license plate, LOL.
I'm with you on this about dealer's name on the plate or a sticker on the back, that's like free advertising for them, they oughta pay you for advertising for them.
Old 04-22-12, 07:08 PM
XRUNNER1
Driver School Candidate

Glad I saw this post before this happened. I have som 3M clear bra material for another project that I was able to put over the lens. Thanks for the heads up
Old 04-23-12, 06:09 AM
PTmobile
Driver

I do not think the foglights are covered under the law as they are notthe primary driving lights. I beleive its jsut the head lights. Either way the clear film is not noticable and inspectors will not see it... so I wouldnt worry about it at all. Headlights are a little different but still the clear film wouldnt be seen.
Old 04-25-12, 03:45 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Tough break,E.
Good advice.

I went with this vinyl protection after reading that thread at the time.No guarantee against lens breakage but some protection that may help.

http://www.lamin-x.com/Lexus-RX-10-F...ers-p/l116.htm
This is why I belong to this forum. Lots of good advice on common issues. My Lamin-X fog light covers are on their way through the US Postal Service.

Quick Reply: Protect those fog lights $!$!$!