RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

$350 for 15K Service???!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-11, 06:47 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"My neighborhood Toyota dealer will not service Lexus vehicles" They must be in the same group that has a Lexus store. Take you car to another Toyota dealer that is not in with a Lexus store and you will find price savings. $350 for the 15K service is a lot of ADP(additional dealer profit).

Last edited by billy44bo; 01-11-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-11-11, 08:09 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$350 for a 15K service? That is so cheap. You Yanks are so spoiled.
Old 01-11-11, 08:12 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I opened my RX350 Updated Maintenance Requirements to the 18 Months or 15,000 Miles. And here is the list of service to be done and my comments:

1) Clean air conditioner filter. You can do that. The hardest part is finding where it is.
2) Inspect and adjust all fluid levels. Lets see, this is the coolant, windshield wiper fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid and engine oil. Did I miss anything? No need to check the transmission fluid as there is no dipstick for that.
3) Replace Smart Key batter. If you can change the battery of your tv remote, you can do this. And why change it? Wait until its discharge.
4) Reset maintenance reminder light. This item need to be done at the dealer unless you want to buy a reset tool which is expensive. But who cares?
5) Re-torque bolts. As mentioned by one lister, even the dealer does not do this.
6) Rotate tires. Okay if you don't want to do this, don't. I have never rotated my tires on all my cars. If they are wearing out unvenly perhaps you should. Or perhaps you need an alignment. You can do this or you can take it to a tire shop. By the way some tire shop like Discount Tires will rotate the tires for you for free if you bought the tires from them.
7) Tighten axle bolts. Nobody does this.
8) Visually inspect brake pads, caliper and rotors. You can shine a light on the brake pads and check the thickness. At 15K, dont even bother.
9) Check installation of floor mat. You should have done this on day one. Make sure the hooks are attached to the eyelet. If you are using aftermarket mats, remove the original mats. Dont use both.
10) Road-test vehicle. You drive your car everyday right?
11) Inspect the ff: I would remove the engine cover and look around and see if something is amiss.

There you just save yourself $350.

Last edited by LeoDLion; 01-11-11 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-12-11, 07:03 AM
dmpiech
Driver School Candidate

I think you're being screwed. I live in Annapolis MD. My15,000 mi service was $100.00.
Old 01-12-11, 07:36 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

My 20,000 mile service was $95.59 and throw in an oil change the total was $143.80. I also had an alignment done the same day and it was an additional $140.00 for that.

They have a check list which includes and shows the actual measurements of brakes and tires.

Quote:
4) Reset maintenance reminder light. This item need to be done at the dealer unless you want to buy a reset tool which is expensive. But who cares?
Unquote

With navigation, no reset tool needed. It's a menu item and you can reset all the schedules by yourself. In addition, there is a couple of empty slots in the reminder list. I put our wedding anniversary in there...nice reminder of something I sometimes forget...oops!

Last edited by DunWkg; 01-12-11 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-12-11, 08:45 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

You did get your one time free alignment done less than 20 or 25k miles right
Old 01-12-11, 08:58 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DunWkg
...Quote:
Unquote

With navigation, no reset tool needed. It's a menu item and you can reset all the schedules by yourself. In addition, there is a couple of empty slots in the reminder list. I put our wedding anniversary in there...nice reminder of something I sometimes forget...oops!
Thanks that is nice to know. I was basing it from experience from my previous bmw which requires that you buy a $300+ reset tool to do that. I will try the nav reset soon.
Old 01-12-11, 11:22 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by billy44bo
You did get your one time free alignment done less than 20 or 25k miles right
Free alignment? Explain, please.
Old 01-12-11, 11:23 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LeoDLion
Thanks that is nice to know. I was basing it from experience from my previous bmw which requires that you buy a $300+ reset tool to do that. I will try the nav reset soon.
I just wish we could permanently change the oil change warning to 10K instead of the pre-programmed 5K. Even though I've changed it in the menus, the warning still pops up in my instrument cluster at 5K.
Old 01-12-11, 11:27 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

When 15K service is done, do they itemize charges for each thing? I'm perfectly capable of replacing my key fob battery if it will save me $30. At the same time, I don't want to waste a few bucks on a battery if the dealer is going to charge me the same price anyway.
Old 01-13-11, 05:44 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by krypttic
When 15K service is done, do they itemize charges for each thing? I'm perfectly capable of replacing my key fob battery if it will save me $30. At the same time, I don't want to waste a few bucks on a battery if the dealer is going to charge me the same price anyway.
I did the 10K recently and it was not itemized so I assumed the 15K won't either.
Old 01-13-11, 06:23 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by krypttic
Free alignment? Explain, please.
It is covered under the warranty. First year or 20k which ever comes first.
It also covers balancing. From my experience they don't just do it, you would have to state you are having a problem, such as pulling to the right or etc.
Old 01-13-11, 11:15 AM
krypttic
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cwd
I think that just resets the reminder in the multi-function screen. To reset the reminder on your dash board, someone posted these instructions:

To reset the maintenance reminder set the trip/odo button to trip A. Then turn the car off. While pushing and holding the trip/odo button turn the car on, and continue holding the trip/odo button until the maintenance reminder completes its reset.

I havent tried it myself on the RX, but it worked on my old GS350.

BTW, coreect me if I am wrong, the RX have electric power steering, so there is no power steering fluid to check.
Yes, resetting the reminder is easy enough. I just wish I didn't have to do this every 5K miles.
Old 01-13-11, 12:09 PM
krypttic
Pole Position

I just called a few dealers in the Phoenix area. Here's what they charge for the 15K service:

Scottsdale Lexus: $350
Bell Lexus: $450
Lexus of Chandler: $303 (includes wiper blade replacements)
Arrowhead Lexus: $235

The only difference I could tell from the booklet info is that they all recommend replacing the A/C filter, cabin filter, and engine air filter.

What a huge discrepancy in price within a 30 mile radius!
Old 01-13-11, 06:11 PM
Lex2133
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

krypttic - thanks for posting the info you have. I live in Chandler and this information is most useful.

Does anyone know if purchasing a "service package" makes sense. For my Toyotas (1 Camry and 1 RAV4), $499 buys 7 services - 4 green, 2yellow and 1blue (or some combination like that) for 5K, 15k and 30 intervals.

Quick Reply: $350 for 15K Service???!!