RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Moisture Build-Up in Rear Brake Light Covers

Old 01-02-11, 06:30 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture Build-Up in Rear Brake Light Covers

I've noticed every once in a while there will be moisture build-up inside the clear cover over the rear brake lights. Someone told me the seal around the cover is probably not sealed tightly and I should bring it back to the dealer to have it changed.

It's strange because it only happens very sporadically. If I make an appointment to bring it to the dealer, it most likely won't show the moisture at that time and they won't be able to diagnose it.

Has this happened to anyone else and do you think I should pursue having it changed? What damage could it do if it keeps happening? Do you think something like this would be covered under the warranty?
Old 01-02-11, 07:42 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ChitChat
I've noticed every once in a while there will be moisture build-up inside the clear cover over the rear brake lights. Someone told me the seal around the cover is probably not sealed tightly and I should bring it back to the dealer to have it changed.

It's strange because it only happens very sporadically. If I make an appointment to bring it to the dealer, it most likely won't show the moisture at that time and they won't be able to diagnose it.

Has this happened to anyone else and do you think I should pursue having it changed? What damage could it do if it keeps happening? Do you think something like this would be covered under the warranty?
I'd shoot a closeup photo then just ask them to replace the unit.
Old 01-02-11, 08:44 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My RX's left tail light ever had this issue before. It happened 3 times so far in Fall 2009, in the rainy and cold night. I observed in the morning, and it went away in a few hours. I showed the pictures to the dealership, but they couldn't duplicate the issues after 2 visits. We didn't really replace anything. It never happens since then.

There are a few other owners having the same issue. You may like to search and see if there is the solution for this.
Old 01-03-11, 08:00 AM
yahj
Driver

Had the same issue only when its cold outside and it goes away after Maybe if there's good number of rx owner complain about this they will look into it as a recall I'm planning to report mine on my first service or if i have a good picture to show the defect
Old 01-03-11, 08:29 AM
yahj
Driver

took some pics today
Attached Thumbnails Moisture Build-Up in Rear Brake Light Covers-img_3011.jpg   Moisture Build-Up in Rear Brake Light Covers-img_3014.jpg   Moisture Build-Up in Rear Brake Light Covers-img_3017.jpg  
Old 01-03-11, 08:40 AM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

If its just minor moisture and it goes away after a little while I would consider it normal. With the size and shape of these lenses in cold/wet weather.

Now if there is excessive moisture (ex, pooling in bottom of lens or covers a significant part of the lens) then this would indicate a leak and would not go away before you were to take it to the dealer.

Even if they were totally sealed (many have a vent to allow pressure changes) you will still get some condensation because of temperature differences under certain situations.
Old 01-03-11, 11:46 AM
garfull
Rookie

i had this same issue on both sides the last winter when just got the rx. i took pics of it and emailed it to my local lexus service dept and had them put it in my file. they said if it goes away then the wont change it. only if it stays or is frequent will they then do something about it.

this winter it hasnt come back.
Old 01-03-11, 07:12 PM
ChitChat
Rookie

Yahj, your pictures show exactly what is happening with mine! I will definitely mention it at my next service and bring pictures. I didn't realize this was such a common problem, as I've never read about it here on the forum.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-03-11, 07:59 PM
yahj
Driver

mine will be replace for sure, get repainted and get the bumper fixed for I had an accident a few hours after I took this pictures check my other thread...
Old 01-03-11, 09:38 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I couldn't find my high resolution pics now. The pic I attached was the quick one I took, without using the high resolution camera.
Attached Thumbnails Moisture Build-Up in Rear Brake Light Covers-moisture-intaillight.jpg