RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Maybe Im Too Set In My Ways...Smart Access Not So Great

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-10, 10:43 AM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm really loving teh smart access key. I have the card in my wallet and I never had to look for the key or have the fob in a pocket. The only time I can think of now when I need the fob is when I go to the dealership for service because they like to tag the key fob and there isn't a way to tag the smart key.
Old 12-29-10, 02:08 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cwd
...There are 2 buttons back there on the RX equipped with power tailgate, a long door handle type button and a round button, the manual is not really clear on their functions.
The long button (by default) unlocks all the doors, when depressed, allowing you to lift the door manually.

The little round button under the handle of the rear door locks all the doors, when pressed.
Old 12-29-10, 02:12 PM
ejvette
Driver

Love the smart access on my GS all I had to do was touch the rear door handle and all the doors would unlock it took me a little getting use to on the RX to find the sweet spot to lock the doors the GS has actual buttons on the outside of all the doors so you could lock the car from any door. I never take out the key fob it's great.
Old 12-29-10, 03:24 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Someone correct me if Im wrong since I do not have this LPS setting

1) push long button once unlocks all doors and you can open the rear door manually
2) push long button twice and the rear door opens automatically
3) short round button will lock all doors, this does not change
Old 12-29-10, 03:43 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Im pretty sure what I listed above is what Anita has, maybe she can chime in later
Old 12-29-10, 04:09 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default LPS and the "Second Button"

Like RXSF, I also do NOT have the LPS setting, and, again like RXSF, assume that the LPS does nothing to the second, round, button under the rear door handle. The LPS setting presumably only alters the function of the first, long rectangular button.

(I posted reply #19 in this thread).
Old 12-29-10, 05:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The dealer programmed the long rectangular button to unlock all doors when pressed once and to open the power tailgate when pressed again. If I do it too quickly, the tailgate will not lift open under power. The round button only locks.
Old 12-29-10, 06:36 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
The dealer programmed the long rectangular button to unlock all doors when pressed once and to open the power tailgate when pressed again. If I do it too quickly, the tailgate will not lift open under power. The round button only locks.
That's right, if you want to open it manually, you will need to press the long button for one more time(3), which will stop the power liftgate.
Old 12-30-10, 03:07 AM
jagged
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
Yeah I have mine set to unlock all doors once the drivers door is touched. I wish Lexus did not skimp on the sensors for the rear doors. I can imagine this being more convenient for women but it just seems faster to lock the doors via the fob as you are walking away
The RX is my 3rd car with smart entry and it's one of the features I look for when considering a new car nowadays. My first was a 2008 Corolla that only had smart entry on the driver's door and even that was a big improvement from cars without.

I think you just need a bit of time to get used to as the benefits surely far outweigh any inconveniences
Old 12-30-10, 04:16 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at the dealership yesterday to have a noise fixed and have the first 1600 km service. While there I asked about programming the rear hatch to open as Anita had described. They supposedly hadn't heard of it before. I showed them the manual where it describes the possible personalized settings including the default and dealership programmable setting for the power rear hatch. Anyhow, they were able to figure out it.

Now when pressing the long button it unlocks all the doors and hatch (this is the default setting from the start). When pressing the long button twice, it unlocks all doors and power opens the rear hatch. The round button still locks all doors.

Thanks to Anita who brought this up otherwise I would never have known that this setting existed to look it up in the manual.
Old 12-30-10, 07:53 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You can for a Sewell Club Lexus cost of $244 for the RX.Also will have to get dealer service programming.
Thanks for the info. I'll figure it out.

Originally Posted by TorontoIS
I'm really loving teh smart access key. I have the card in my wallet and I never had to look for the key or have the fob in a pocket. The only time I can think of now when I need the fob is when I go to the dealership for service because they like to tag the key fob and there isn't a way to tag the smart key.
In the past I had the card when driving another one. I really like the way it works. When puchasing this RX10 last year, my dealership was unable to provide this option for me.
Old 01-02-11, 07:36 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm loving the smart access on the 2010 RX. Being a female, it definitely saves me from having to dig through my purse to look for my keys. I have to use the remote fob though when I go to the park for my walks, because I'll take one fob with me and leave the other fob in my purse hidden in the back seat floorboard area, so then I can't lock the doors from inside the car. But then when I come back to the car, I have to use the remote fob if the remote fob was used to lock the car.

In regard to opening all four doors with the smart access, sometimes, if I need the rear doors to open, I'll go to the passenger side door, because that will open all four doors.

When I'm grocery shopping and return to the car with my shopping cart, when I go to the rear of the car, I have to have my purse with the key fob right by my side, as it will not work if it's in the basket( guess that puts it more than 2feet way, and, thus, it won't work.)