RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Maybe Im Too Set In My Ways...Smart Access Not So Great

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-10, 12:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Maybe Im Too Set In My Ways...Smart Access Not So Great

Having driven cars for more than half of my life (15 years or so) and dealing with the keys to unlock the door and to start the car, I must be accustomed to that way of life.

Ive had smart access for the first time for more than a month now and I gotta say its not as great as a I imagined it to be. I love having a push button start and everything, but its the unlock and locking process that I feel is a step backward. For one, only the front doors and the trunk have an unlock sensor, so when putting stuff in the back seat, I have to touch the front door handle first and then open the rear door. Or in order to open all the doors for everyone with me, I have to step up my pace a little and touch the front door handle first to accommodate everyone. Then there is the locking. I have to wait till everyone is out of the car and then push the sensor on the handle (which btw I would have preferred an actual button) and I cant even find at times especially at night.

Sorry for being so whiny, but I expected more convenience. And yes I know that I can just take the fob out of my pocket and unlock/lock it that way, but then that defeats the purpose of the smart access.

Does anyone else share these gripes or do I just need to get used to it more.
Old 12-19-10, 01:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

RXSF, tell me you how many times you have walked over to a car other than your RX and tried to open it but found the door was locked, LMAO!

My minor gripes, I don't like when I unlock the driver door the rest of the doors stay locked. I know that can be programmed by the dealer. But for the 50% of the time I need to open the rear door, I can live with unlocking them from the driver door. I agree, having passengers can be problematic to quickly unlock the doors. Again, rare scenario for me. The buttons can be a pain sometimes. The key is light touch and release. It won't lock when I have gloves on. But I am so not missing the key fob lock/unlock routine.
Old 12-19-10, 02:04 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Opening driver's door unlocks all doors"

Originally Posted by kitlz
My minor gripes, I don't like when I unlock the driver door the rest of the doors stay locked. I know that can be programmed by the dealer...
For my Canadian-market 2010 RX 350, "Opening driver's door unlocks all doors" is a user-programmable setting. In my RX 350 Owner's Manual, it's on page 624.

I changed mine to "On", from the default setting of "Off".
Old 12-19-10, 02:15 PM
k9shelly1
Driver

Is it me or can you still use the key fob? If you don't like the "smart access" then take the fob out of your pocket and press the button like you would any other vehicle.

I don't mind it as it is way easier for my wife to touch the front door rathre than dig thruough her purse for the keys. I just find this as a better option.
Old 12-19-10, 02:16 PM
flystone
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anita, you can change the setting yourself and have all doors unlocked when you unlock driver doors either using remote or with smart access

go to setup -> vehicle -> vehicle customization -> door lock settings

driver doors linked unlock - this one controls whether to unlock all doors when you exit the car (by using the driver door lever from inside the car), set to on, then when you pull the driver door lever and exit, all doors will be unlocked..

remote 2 press unlock - this one controls keyless remote only, if set to on, then you will unlock only driver door on 1st click of remote and rest of the doors on 2nd clic, if set to off, then you unlock all doors with 1st click

select doors to unlock - this is the one that controls smart access, set to all, then you will unlock all doors when you touch driver door handle from outside (passenger door handle already unlock all doors by default)
Old 12-19-10, 02:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah I have mine set to unlock all doors once the drivers door is touched. I wish Lexus did not skimp on the sensors for the rear doors. I can imagine this being more convenient for women but it just seems faster to lock the doors via the fob as you are walking away
Old 12-19-10, 05:28 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for letting me know about the doors. It's been a while since I've taken out the voluminous novel called the owner's manual

I agree, sensors on the back doors would be nice to have. I tend to open the tailgate more. That's been programmed by the dealer to open when I press the button twice. No key fob needed Overall though I like smart access.
Old 12-19-10, 06:32 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm happy with the smart access card. I haven't used the buttons on the fob in ages, even before I had the card, so I'm pretty used to it. I do wish that the rear door handles could lock and unlock the car too as they do in the ES, but other than that and the fact that I have a hard time locking the car when I have my gloves on, I like it.
Old 12-19-10, 10:22 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RXSF
Having driven cars for more than half of my life (15 years or so) and dealing with the keys to unlock the door and to start the car, I must be accustomed to that way of life.

Ive had smart access for the first time for more than a month now and I gotta say its not as great as a I imagined it to be. I love having a push button start and everything, but its the unlock and locking process that I feel is a step backward. For one, only the front doors and the trunk have an unlock sensor, so when putting stuff in the back seat, I have to touch the front door handle first and then open the rear door. Or in order to open all the doors for everyone with me, I have to step up my pace a little and touch the front door handle first to accommodate everyone. Then there is the locking. I have to wait till everyone is out of the car and then push the sensor on the handle (which btw I would have preferred an actual button) and I cant even find at times especially at night.

Sorry for being so whiny, but I expected more convenience. And yes I know that I can just take the fob out of my pocket and unlock/lock it that way, but then that defeats the purpose of the smart access.

Does anyone else share these gripes or do I just need to get used to it more.
I agreed completely with you on the door sensors, this time Lexus gone cheapo on them.
Old 12-19-10, 11:22 PM
E12ic46
Driver

I stand next to the passenger and let the passenger unlock the door lol.
Old 12-20-10, 08:55 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I wasn't sure I really liked the smart access until I spent a week driving my wife's car which does not have it. I can't count the times I got in and sat down only to remember I had to fish the key out of my pocket. Like most, I wish Lexus had kept the sensors on the rear door handles, but I'm still sold on smart access.
Steve
Old 12-20-10, 10:39 PM
data2009
Pole Position

I think it's a very useful feature! I forgot the last time I had to take the key out. Having 2 small kids, putting them inside is a matter of sliding your finder on the front door handle to unlock all doors. In rain, in cold weather, this is a matter of seconds.
Old 12-24-10, 11:20 AM
socalJD
Lexus Champion

I leave my driver's door SmartAccess set to default (unlock only drivers door) since 80% of the time I'm driving by myself. A quick way to unlock all doors w/out reaching for the key fob or passenger's door is to press the tailgate button, pressing once unlocks all doors, and pressing again will unlatch the tailgate. You can also press the 2nd smaller tailgate button to lock all doors/arm the alarm.
Old 12-28-10, 07:03 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

You will get used to it in a few more months later. If you still don't feel comfortable to step ahead or wait everyone to get out to lock the door, you can press your remove control when walking away. It's the same way as you locked the doors in the past, isn't it?

I like the smart access, but I wish I can get the thin-card-like smart access key instead of this bulky one.
Old 12-29-10, 04:05 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
You will get used to it in a few more months later. If you still don't feel comfortable to step ahead or wait everyone to get out to lock the door, you can press your remove control when walking away. It's the same way as you locked the doors in the past, isn't it?

I like the smart access, but I wish I can get the thin-card-like smart access key instead of this bulky one.
You can for a Sewell Club Lexus cost of $244 for the RX.Also will have to get dealer service programming.

Quick Reply: Maybe Im Too Set In My Ways...Smart Access Not So Great