Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Engine buzzing/whining noise at idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-10, 05:18 AM
pgeremia
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Engine buzzing/whining noise at idle

Hello,

I just recently purchased a new 2011 Lexus RX450h.

I am now getting a pretty loud buzzing noise when the car is at idle. (especially just after starting up)

I attached a sound file. Is this normal? The dealer says it is normal because it is a Hybrid. I find that very hard to believe. It sounds like a car with a bad bearing or something.

After spending the amount of money I spent on this car I would not expect it to make noises that sound like something is seriously wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

The noise was recorded next to the passenger side wheel well. At the end of the recording I placed the recorder near the oil pan. It seems like this noise is coming from the area near the oil pan.

Thank You,

Peter Geremia

Ps. If you have a 2011 RX450h maybe you can help me to determine if the noise is normal or not?
Attached Files
File Type: zip
rx450-2011-engine-noise.wav.zip (1.39 MB, 708 views)
Old 12-08-10, 06:07 AM
BlueSurf
Rookie

Originally Posted by pgeremia
Hello,

I am now getting a pretty loud buzzing noise when the car is at idle. (especially just after starting up)

I attached a sound file. Is this normal? The dealer says it is normal because it is a Hybrid. I find that very hard to believe. It sounds like a car with a bad bearing or something.

After spending the amount of money I spent on this car I would not expect it to make noises that sound like something is seriously wrong.

The noise was recorded next to the passenger side wheel well. At the end of the recording I placed the recorder near the oil pan. It seems like this noise is coming from the area near the oil pan.

Thank You,

Peter Geremia

Ps. If you have a 2011 RX450h maybe you can help me to determine if the noise is normal or not?
I have a 450h and I NEVER had a sound like this on my car. It may be a cover is to close to something and it is resonating. First go back to your dealer and talk to the GM, if no satisfaction then I would bring it to another dealer for service. Your current dealer is not up to the task of taking their responsibility seriously. If you cannot, call the Lexus 800# and complain. You just paid a small bundle of money here!
If you get it resolved other than your dealer, go on to citisearch, yelp and the BBB websites and report it there. This dealer needs to get a hurting put on them for lack of professionalism. You will be getting a survey from Lexus on rating your experience with your dealer. GET OUT YOUR RED PEN!!!

Last edited by BlueSurf; 12-08-10 at 06:23 AM.
Old 12-08-10, 05:05 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hello,

Thank You,

Peter Geremia

As previously posted, go back to your dealer. It's not normal. Our Hybrids DO have a few sounds generic to them and nothing wrong with those sounds, they're normal. But what you describe is NOT normal. Ask you dealer to demonstrate the sound on a different car. Then he might take you seriously. He should have the 1st time.
Old 12-11-10, 07:30 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, this noise sounds weird. I don't know if the cold weather out there makes your engine run louder. You definitely need to visit your dealer and maybe you can test-drive another 450h from their cold parking lot.
Old 12-12-10, 06:15 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 400h would shut off the engine and be silent after a few seconds stopped. The new 450h also does. Definitely take it back to the dealer--or if needed a different Lexus dealer.
Old 06-06-21, 04:16 AM
Okumu
Driver School Candidate

Hello,

Thank You,

Peter Geremia

I also have the same problem with my 2009 rx 450h. Did you have this sorted
Old 06-06-21, 10:11 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Not sayin you don't have a problem, but.

One thing that is very different in hybrid is the "idle". Idle in non-hybrid is the least load condition and the engine idles at around 750rpms. In hybrid there is no idle. Either the ICE is shutdown or running with the generator as a load [when the wheels are not turning]. Non moving engine RPM is much higher as compared to non-hybrid as it is under load to charge the traction batteries.

As the engine rpms are increased, there are many sources of vibration ... even a rock in the underbelly.

Salim

Last edited by salimshah; 06-07-21 at 09:17 AM.