RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2 questions... BT phone pairing and a cleaning question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-10, 09:52 AM
JenBowes
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions... BT phone pairing and a cleaning question...

Hey all,

I was wondering if its possible to have 2 phones programmed to the car? And if you can, i guess you set one phone as the primary phone for when you are both in the car together so it knows which phone to connect to? Just wondering if we should set up my husbands blackberry to the car as well.

Cleaning - Are any car wash places that are safe for the car? And/or has anyone tried a touchless car wash? Theres one near my husbands job and I was curious about it...

Thanks!
Old 11-17-10, 10:03 AM
tkman00
Driver

i think you can pair up to 3 phones. if several phones end up in the car at the same time, the last one previously connected is the one that takes preference.

i prefer to stay away from car washes myself.
Old 11-17-10, 10:28 AM
k9shelly1
Driver

I think it has to do with the key fob you use. If you programmed your phone with your key fob then it will connect to your phone and vice versa. If both are connected to both fob's then the one you entered as primary with that fob will take preference.

As for car washes..........touchless or good ole fasion do it yourself handwash.
Old 11-17-10, 10:41 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

you can connect up to 4 phones (or maybe its 6). What it does is that it connects to the last one that was connected, or you can manually switch to the phone you want on the phone menu. Also note that the phonebooks are different for whichever phone is connected, 1000 contacts for each phone.

^^ I also recall something about the phone being linked to the keys.

I used to go to all sorts of places with my old RX, but I probably wont with the new one. Ive been to a few touchless mechanical automatic car washes which uses a high pressurized hose to spray your car over and over again. Its the lesser of two evils for me. People say that the system recirculates the water so the issue is that the water may have fine dirt particles that are being hurled at your car.

Stay away from the rotating brushes at the gas stations.

Try to go to hand wash places
Old 11-17-10, 11:07 AM
tkman00
Driver

^^^ they also recycle water @ hand wash places. add to that the towels that they use to try will swirl up the paint.
Old 11-17-10, 01:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I guess I'm the only crazy person out there washing, hose and all, in the dead of winter. Too many times I've seen SUVs damaged by car washes, from the license plates to the rear wiper. The rear wiper is hidden on the 3rd gen now but I won't take any chances with the car washes and their recycled dirty water dried by scratchy towels. And take look at the cars driving in before you. Yuck!!
Old 11-17-10, 02:17 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
I guess I'm the only crazy person out there washing, hose and all, in the dead of winter. Too many times I've seen SUVs damaged by car washes, from the license plates to the rear wiper. The rear wiper is hidden on the 3rd gen now but I won't take any chances with the car washes and their recycled dirty water dried by scratchy towels. And take look at the cars driving in before you. Yuck!!
You're not alone.There's at least two of us.
No one washes my vehicles but me and it's been that way for many years.
As long as the wash and rinse water doesn't freeze,I'm detailing.
If it's too cold,the vehicles stay dirty until the weather warms a bit.
Sometimes I cheat.If rain is in the forecast and I'm not going to use the vehicle,I'll look on the weather channel to see where the rain is and wash and rinse the vehicle right before the rain comes but not dry it.I let the rain hit it and no hard water rain spots from my house water.Not perfect but better than dirty.Sometimes no rain and I have to wind up drying the vehicle,though.It's not a foolproof plan.
Try it,Anita.

Last edited by Joeb427; 11-17-10 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-17-10, 02:24 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Anita you have my respect. When I joined this forum you were posting pictures of, I believe, washing your car in the snow and ice. As my car washing idol and since I don't have a heated garage, you inspired me to find a heated car wash, with garage doors and they don't mind bucket washing. However it's 30 miles away. Extreme, maybe even for you? I think I'll rent the neighbor's garage!
Old 11-17-10, 03:04 PM
tkman00
Driver

Originally Posted by Joeb427
You're not alone.There's at least two of us.
No one washes my vehicles but me and it's been that way for many years.
As long as the wash and rinse water doesn't freeze,I'm detailing.
If it's too cold,the vehicles stay dirty until the weather warms a bit.
Sometimes I cheat.If rain is in the forecast and I'm not going to use the vehicle,I'll look on the weather channel to see where the rain is and wash and rinse the vehicle right before the rain comes but not dry it.I let the rain hit it and no hard water rain spots from my house water.Not perfect but better than dirty.Sometimes no rain and I have to wind up drying the vehicle,though.It's not a foolproof plan.
Try it,Anita.
make that 3. you guys should check out optimum no winse wash and shine
Old 11-17-10, 03:22 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I hold a double standard for my cars. nobody touches my C except for me. lol, not even valet parking. but Im much more lenient on the RX
Old 11-17-10, 03:27 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can choose from the list of four phones and two media devices.

Washing it yourself or bring it back to the dealer for detailing.
Old 11-17-10, 03:32 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Anita you have my respect. When I joined this forum you were posting pictures of, I believe, washing your car in the snow and ice. As my car washing idol and since I don't have a heated garage, you inspired me to find a heated car wash, with garage doors and they don't mind bucket washing. However it's 30 miles away. Extreme, maybe even for you? I think I'll rent the neighbor's garage!
David, those pictures helped me win the contest PAC had last year I got a Porter Cable, Blackfire Reference kit and a few other goodies. I beat the boys Sure, the neighbors must think I'm nuts but there's nothing better than having one of the two clean cars in the state, Joeb having the other My temp minimum is 35. It's all about layering, running in the house when absolutely necessary and to turn on the car when the water starts freezing. No ONR for me.
Old 11-17-10, 04:12 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tkman00
make that 3. you guys should check out optimum no winse wash and shine

tk,I've always been leery of the Dri wash and 1-2 bucket wash items.

Anyone know if the key fob actually has anything to do with bluetooth?
Old 11-18-10, 05:01 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427

Anyone know if the key fob actually has anything to do with bluetooth?
I don't think so. If my wife gets in the car first with Bluetooth turned on the car connects to her phone, even if I used my fob to get in.
Old 11-18-10, 08:49 AM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

In New Hampshire, washing a car outside in the winter is not doable. We go through periods of weeks when it doesn't get above 20 deg and then the occasional 40 deg day which melts the snow and ice and makes the car filthy again. I just got a new house with a two car garage and a spigot in the garage. I'm going to experiment with washing it inside and using a squegee to push the water outside.

But, I rarely will take my car to a car wash, but inevitably do it once or twice a winter.

My question to you all is, how often do you wax your car? I normally give a good wax in the spring and the fall, and maybe once in the summer too, if I feel ambitious. I usually put two coats on the horizontal surfaces and one on the vertical. What do you do?

Quick Reply: 2 questions... BT phone pairing and a cleaning question...