RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-10, 02:55 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clicking sound in the center stack coming from a vent motor?? Need Tech advice!!!

Hello All!

My wifes 2004 RX330 has been making a clicking noise for a little while now every once in a while. I turn off all the AC and heat controls and the noise still exists. I took the cover off on the drivers side footwell to the right of the accelerator. The cover comes off with two black push in clips.

I exposed the area where the noise was coming from and watched a motor with four wires coming out from the harness. The motor looks like it controls a vent lever but I'm not sure. I wrote the part # down I got off the motor but nothing came up doing a search.

The motor says 12v on the side and then it has the following part # 063700-8820 11E4000

It seems like the motor just wiggles back and forth and if I try to help it, the thing keeps wanting to work but won't. I think the motor is bad but I figure I would ask one of the techs on here for help in figuring out what might be the problem and what the part actually does. Thank you for your time!
Old 10-05-10, 03:03 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

I just realized I placed this in the wrong generation. Mods would you please move this to the second generation? Thank you!
Old 10-05-10, 03:19 PM
NINmh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem, if not the exact same, last week. I have an '00 RX300, and it started after I did a system reset (disconnected the negative cable). I drove around for a while, then I started to notice it. It would come and go, but would get louder, and more persistant, all the time. Till the point it was happening all the time. Everything was turned off, and the sound continued. It really worried me. The best way for me to describe the sound is that it sounded like a typewriter. I could feel the vibrations thru the white vents in the footwell.

Engine off, I put the key in the ignition and put it to 'on', with everything off, the sound would continue. So, I cranked the AC, selecting everything on to off.. cranked the temp up, then down, etc.. seems to have rectified it.. but would like to know what it was.. :s
Old 10-05-10, 03:39 PM
redrocks
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by NINmh
I had a similar problem, if not the exact same, last week. I have an '00 RX300, and it started after I did a system reset (disconnected the negative cable). I drove around for a while, then I started to notice it. It would come and go, but would get louder, and more persistant, all the time. Till the point it was happening all the time. Everything was turned off, and the sound continued. It really worried me. The best way for me to describe the sound is that it sounded like a typewriter. I could feel the vibrations thru the white vents in the footwell.

Engine off, I put the key in the ignition and put it to 'on', with everything off, the sound would continue. So, I cranked the AC, selecting everything on to off.. cranked the temp up, then down, etc.. seems to have rectified it.. but would like to know what it was.. :s
Sounds like something got "stuck" and by cranking it up, it caused it to become "unstuck". Worth a try !
Old 10-05-10, 04:15 PM
mmade22
Pit Crew

I tried what you did and when I go max heat, I hear the motor open the valve all the up and it stops the noise. When I bring it back to the cooler settings, it starts the noise again. When I shut the system off, the motor still flutters back and forth.

So now I know it has something to do with the climate control. I need to know if its the motor that is the problem or the climate control computer that is sending mixed signals to the motor? Anyone?