RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Thinking of switching from ES350 to RX350. Should I?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-10, 03:08 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thinking of switching from ES350 to RX350. Should I?

I am 21 months into a 36 month lease on a 2009 ES350.

While I like the car, I would like go back to a vehicle with AWD for the winter months. The ES is a great ride but I did have a few nervous moments over the past 2 winters as I'm not confident driving the car in the snow.

My thought is to go with an RX350 AWD. The gas mileage of course is not as a good as the ES350 but it seems awfully close.

I have less than 16K miles on my ES350. Do I have any chance of getting the RX350 AWD with Navigation for $500 per month including tax for 3 years with zero down.

I would consider paying the entire lease up front if I could get this price.

Just wondering if anyone else has made the switch from ES350 to RX350 for the all-wheel drive.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 09-27-10, 03:30 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I've driven the ES extensively while my LS460 was in for some lengthy re-work (wind noise), and now own the RX. The two are very different; I found the ES noisy and the sight lines were not that great. I also did not like the interior layout. The RX is roomy (headroom, legroom & elbow room), versatile seats, has ample cargo space (doubled when rear seat are down), and puts the driver in a much safer raised position allowing superior forward vision, particularly above any cars in front. I gave up an LS600hL because of first impressions with the RX, but that's another story altogether...
Old 09-27-10, 05:50 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Last time I drove an ES I thought the gas pedal was overly sensitive. It would make me nervous too especially in the snow. You can probably get a good deal on a '10 since the '11s are out. I'd go to the dealer and see what they can do for you. Good luck.
Old 09-27-10, 07:38 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The IS350 now comes with AWD.
Old 09-27-10, 07:46 PM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

In My Opinion

1 the RX is just as quiet if not quieter than the ES
2 RX ride is just as smooth even with AWD
3 RX has better visibility
4 RX has more interior room

As for options, they both come equipped pretty much the same.
Old 09-28-10, 03:56 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

I am definitely leaning towards the RX. How would it compare on a 3-year lease? It appears to be more expensive but not by much.

Given the higher residual value I would think the RX has when compared to the ES, can I get one with AWD and Navigation for $500 per month on lease?
Old 09-28-10, 03:36 PM
jeffmust
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Atomarchio,

There are a few dozen questions that go into that new RX lease price...from MSRP of the new vehicle to miles per year covered to your credit rating to up-front cash to rollover of your current "mid-lease" ES obligation...too many variables to give you a Yes or No answer re $500/month. Go pick out a RX on the lot with options you want and talk to a couple of lease-smart sales people (they'll probably flip you to the finance person with the lease calculator) at the dealership on their never-to-be-offered-again pricing for a deal this week. Then tell them "Too much!" walk out and wait for your phone to ring.
Old 09-28-10, 05:15 PM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Thank you for responding. Can you help with a few questions?

I am very much into the Navigation technology. Do you know which RX model year started including the hard drive based Navigation?

Was reading somewhere else on the forum that there is a Toyota supported way to get the Navigation system working while the car is moving?

Apparently, there are still deals to be had on 2010 models. Do you think it's a significant price decrease to lease 2010 vs. 2011 model?

Old 09-28-10, 06:34 PM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by atomarchio

I am very much into the Navigation technology. Do you know which RX model year started including the hard drive based Navigation?

Was reading somewhere else on the forum that there is a Toyota supported way to get the Navigation system working while the car is moving?

Apparently, there are still deals to be had on 2010 models. Do you think it's a significant price decrease to lease 2010 vs. 2011 model?

I'm pretty sure the RX has been using HD based Nav for a few years now. If I am correct all the way back to 98-00 with Gen 0 Nav on the LS/GS there was a HD based Nav. However the 02-03 ES (maybe 04, can anyone confirm) was DVD based, you can observe the computer hanging in the trunk.

People ***** and moan about the RX's nav, I find it quite good. I've used the older stock Gen 2 Nav on our '03 ES, aftermarket Pioneer Navteq based Nav, Windows Mobile 5 Ostia based nav, and Google Maps on WM6 so I've seen great and ****ty. The current RX nav is very good.

Maybe you just need a proper set of all season tires for your ES. Consider Toyo Extensa A/S, they are very good in the snow. The ES is very capable in the snow IMO.
Old 09-28-10, 07:27 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The nav system is great. People forget that you can voice command all functions while driving. You can enter an address and ask it to dial a number while you are driving. I think that is a great feature and makes up for not being able to do it with the mouse.
My opinion.
Old 09-28-10, 07:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm pretty sure 2010 is the first year Lexus changed over to HD-based nav on the RX. I had an '04 and didn't bother with the updates.

Prestigious Society has an override available - http://www.prestigioussociety.com/?page_id=138 A few people have installed it and say it works great. At least it's an option if the Toyota override doesn't pan out.

Lexus is still promoting lease deals on the '10 RX beyond their normal Golden Opportunity sale. With the '11s in, I'm sure they'll want to get rid of the '10s. Try searching a few dealers, go in, run some numbers and if it's too high, walk out like jeffmust said. You're bound to get a call back. Good luck.
Old 09-29-10, 04:57 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Talked to a local Cleveland delaer and they wanted about 21K for a 3-year prepaid lease on an 2010 RX AWD with Navigation which I thought was ridiculous.

I like your idea about the tires since it's not looking I am going to wait until my lease ends to switch to the RX. I have the Pebble Beach ES350 and the tires they use are awful. Are the Toyo Extensa tires available in Ohio?

Old 09-29-10, 10:36 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Talked to a local Cleveland delaer and they wanted about 21K for a 3-year prepaid lease on an 2010 RX AWD with Navigation which I thought was ridiculous.

I like your idea about the tires since it's not looking I am going to wait until my lease ends to switch to the RX. I have the Pebble Beach ES350 and the tires they use are awful. Are the Toyo Extensa tires available in Ohio?

Why would you want to prepay for your lease? If you total the car while you lease you MAY loose all of these prepaids $$$$. Many people suggest to have Multiple Security deposits to lower the Money Factor and these will be paid back to you at the end of the lease.
Old 09-29-10, 10:53 AM
atomarchio
Pit Crew

Not sure I understand how I would lose the prepaid $? Why would the replacement of the vehicle with a lease be any different than if I purchased the car?
Old 09-29-10, 12:03 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure I understand how I would lose the prepaid $? Why would the replacement of the vehicle with a lease be any different than if I purchased the car?
A possible disadvantage of pre-paid car leasing
There is a possible disadvantage to single-pay car leases that should be considered.

If your car should be stolen or destroyed in an accident, your insurance would pay only the current market value of the vehicle, not the total amount you have invested in your lease. You would stand to lose a large chunk of your up front cash payment, the same loss you would incur if you had paid cash for your car.

Contrast the above total-loss situation with a normal monthly payment lease — no pre-payment and no down payment. The lease company picks up financial responsibility for the difference between what you still owe on the lease and your insurance settlement. This is known as "gap" coverage and is automatically included in most leases. You would lose nothing except your insurance deductible. This is one of the good benefits of car leasing with little or no down payment.

Gap coverage, even if included in your pre-paid lease, provides no benefit to you. It does not cover your cash losses. This risk is greatest in the early months of a pre-paid lease, and lessens as the lease nears its completion.

Summary
In summary, single-pay pre-paid car leases offer benefits of no monthly payments and some savings in finance charges (depending on how your lease company calculates the single payment), and sales tax savings, but carries the risk of possible cash loss if the leased vehicle is stolen or destroyed early in the lease term.
Make your decision about a single-payment lease knowing and understanding the benefits and the risks.

http://www.leaseguide.com/sn/prepaid-lease.htm

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching from ES350 to RX350. Should I?