RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-10, 03:39 PM
hnhirani
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daytime Running Lights

I recently purchased a 2010 Lexus RX 350. Using the navigation screen, I have enabled daytime running lights in vehicle setting. However if i set my light switch to "DRL Off" the daytime lights turn off. Is there any way to disable the "DRL Off" option on the light switch. I need the DRL to remain on even if i choose "DRL Off".

I know this might sound like a convoluted request, however I'm having a difficult time having the car certified for registration in Canada without disabling that option.

Any direction would be a great help

Thanks
Old 08-27-10, 07:42 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by hnhirani
I recently purchased a 2010 Lexus RX 350. Using the navigation screen, I have enabled daytime running lights in vehicle setting. However if i set my light switch to "DRL Off" the daytime lights turn off. Is there any way to disable the "DRL Off" option on the light switch. I need the DRL to remain on even if i choose "DRL Off".

I know this might sound like a convoluted request, however I'm having a difficult time having the car certified for registration in Canada without disabling that option.

Any direction would be a great help

Thanks
The DRL means the 'Daytime Running Lights'. You either turn them on or off, simple as that. Use the DRL setting on the turn signal.
Did you get a manual?
Old 08-27-10, 07:42 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So are you saying all 2010 RX will fail inspection in Canada?
I highly don't think so.
Old 08-27-10, 07:59 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wyau01
So are you saying all 2010 RX will fail inspection in Canada?
I highly don't think so.
daytime running lights are mandatory in canada. since the OP is importing a US spec RX, it has to pass canadian import rules (especially the daytime running lights). daytime running lights must turn on regardless of the position of the light switch (unless the main headlights are on, then the DRL turns off).

hnhirani, i would recommend you go to your lexus dealer to convert to canadian specification. they should be able to do this for you without any problems (or at least ask them what part you need or how to program so that you can do it yourself).
Old 08-27-10, 08:05 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Daytime Running Lights in Canada

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The DRL means the 'Daytime Running Lights'. You either turn them on or off, simple as that. Use the DRL setting on the turn signal.
Canadian law requires that either the DRLs, or the headlights, must be "on" whenever the engine is running. The only way I can turn off the DRLs is to turn on the headlights. There is no other "DRL off" position on the headlight stalk/switch on Canadian-market RX 350s.

Originally Posted by wyau01
So are you saying all 2010 RX will fail inspection in Canada? ...
No, only American-market RX 350s will fail, if not modified to match the way Canadian-market RX 350s are set up. I.e., no way to turn off the DRLs, unless you turn on the headlights.
Old 08-27-10, 09:15 PM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I imported a 2010 RX350 from the US and had to have the DRL modified to meet Canadian specs and to get my RIV certification. It cost around $230 at the Lexus dealership in Calgary. They put a relay in.

Some people talk about getting the US spec vehicle passed without modification at Canadian Tire or by taping the switch in the auto position but I think this is a real ymmv.
Old 08-27-10, 09:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Cough
I imported a 2010 RX350 from the US and had to have the DRL modified to meet Canadian specs and to get my RIV certification. It cost around $230 at the Lexus dealership in Calgary. They put a relay in.

Some people talk about getting the US spec vehicle passed without modification at Canadian Tire or by taping the switch in the auto position but I think this is a real ymmv.
yeah i recall it was some sort of a relay but i wasn't 100% sure. thx for confirming.
Old 08-27-10, 10:58 PM
hnhirani
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the information! I will take it to a local dealership to have a relay put in.
Old 08-28-10, 06:44 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Can the car pass if you have the headlights on 24/7? If you put a piece of paper and tape it on top of the light sensor, then the headlights will always be on even in the auto position
Old 08-28-10, 09:40 AM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Stormforge
daytime running lights are mandatory in canada. since the OP is importing a US spec RX, it has to pass canadian import rules (especially the daytime running lights). daytime running lights must turn on regardless of the position of the light switch (unless the main headlights are on, then the DRL turns off).

hnhirani, i would recommend you go to your lexus dealer to convert to canadian specification. they should be able to do this for you without any problems (or at least ask them what part you need or how to program so that you can do it yourself).
Gotya, didn't know it was an US spec car.
Old 08-28-10, 11:31 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by RXSF
Can the car pass if you have the headlights on 24/7? If you put a piece of paper and tape it on top of the light sensor, then the headlights will always be on even in the auto position
no i don't think that would work either. the US spec RX has to confirm to canadian import rules as well as canadian motor vehicle act (which regulates what is legal or illegal for a motor vehicle); so the inspectors will definitely see this and declare a fail as the DRL issue is not addressed.
Old 09-01-10, 10:50 AM
Stereosage
Driver School Candidate

We imported a 2010 RX 350 from Washington state and had to modify for permanent Daytime Running Lights. It cost $150 at N Motion on Boundary in Vancouver. This must be done to pass the inspection.

That said, I see a lot of cars on the road whose DRLs do not operate as normal. Other than when importing a car not built to Canadian Specs, it is not a rule that is enforced.
Old 09-01-10, 09:29 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by Stereosage
We imported a 2010 RX 350 from Washington state and had to modify for permanent Daytime Running Lights. It cost $150 at N Motion on Boundary in Vancouver. This must be done to pass the inspection.

That said, I see a lot of cars on the road whose DRLs do not operate as normal. Other than when importing a car not built to Canadian Specs, it is not a rule that is enforced.
it is true that you do see cars on the road with DRLs not operating, but i would say that one of the reasons it is disabled by the owners is for cosmetic reasons (assuming the vehicle was manufactured after DRL regulation became law). and just because the rule is not enforced does not mean that the cops won't pull you over and charge you if they notice it. it's a question of how lucky (or unlucky) you are.
Old 09-08-10, 05:33 PM
gladiator9
Driver

Default Daytime Running Lights?

Originally Posted by Stereosage

I also just imported a 2010RX 350 although this vehicle has the DRL's I will probably have to get a relay or whatever installed to ensure that the DRL's are always on whenever the enging is running. I am in the Kelowna area so I may have to find a dealer or garage to install this.
Did your RX have a nav, and if so could you get it to work in Canada. My nav. system shows the mapping but I can't seem to set up home or destinations?? Is this because it is a vehicle built for the US market?
Thanks,
JB.
Old 09-08-10, 10:32 PM
BCRCornet
Driver

Default Search Area = Canada

Originally Posted by gladiator9
I also just imported a 2010RX 350 ... My nav. system shows the mapping but I can't seem to set up home or destinations?? Is this because it is a vehicle built for the US market?
Have you set your nav system's search area to "Canada"?
  1. Push the "MENU" button (behind the Remote Touch joystick.)
  2. Click on "Destination".
  3. Click on "Address".
  4. At the bottom left of the screen, click on "Search Area".
  5. Scroll down and click on "CAN"
  6. Click on "OK"

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Lights