RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do you guys like your current RX?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-11, 02:00 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^That did not make any sense at all. It runs only with electric motor but is totally dependent from the engine........

Not really into SUVs but I love ours.

Last edited by happy1977; 09-02-11 at 02:03 PM.
Old 09-03-11, 04:39 AM
Cruiseman
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 and have been annoyed by dash rattles, especially in cold weather. I would have thought by now they would have addressed that. Was getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 350 today. I may just hold off now.
Old 09-05-11, 07:40 AM
omegaknox
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just bought a 2011 RX350 and having same exact problems over bumps and a shimmey between 30-45 MPH. After 5 trips backs to dealer in 1st month, they fixed nothing. I called the Lexus customer supprt and am waiting to meet with a Lexus rep. Have been a 20 year Lexus driver and not satisfied with this vehicle. Drives more like a pick up truck than a luxury SUV.
Old 09-05-11, 08:00 AM
omegaknox
Driver School Candidate

One loaner I think may have had 18". It ran smoother. I have inquired to dealer as to whether they did a road force balance and/or rotated the tires. I'm thinking they drive around the parking lot, say they don't feel anything, then call me to come pick up later in the day. My gut says "tires", but not getting resolution.
Old 09-05-11, 10:27 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by omegaknox
One loaner I think may have had 18". It ran smoother. I have inquired to dealer as to whether they did a road force balance and/or rotated the tires. I'm thinking they drive around the parking lot, say they don't feel anything, then call me to come pick up later in the day. My gut says "tires", but not getting resolution.
my point exactly.

The kind of tires, the size of your rims, the wheel balance and the tire pressure you have put in plays a major role on how hard or soft the ride is.
Old 09-05-11, 02:50 PM
fatttu
Driver School Candidate

We just traded our cerulean blue '10 RX350 AWD on Saturday for a smoky granite mica '11 IS350. We've had 2 2nd generation RX's and this 3rd generation so we do have experience with this model. Our first year 2nd gen had the AC ducts rattling in the dash but that was fixed with not further problems. We had no problems at all with our 2nd 2nd gen or with the 3rd. It won't be too much longer that our younger child will be driving so we downsized. If it wasn't for that, we would continue driving the RX. I recommend the RX model to those who aren't into sport driving and just want a moderate size SUV with many bells and whistles. We traded our 2nd RX for a MB GLK 4matic but then went back for the 3rd gen RX due to having serious problems with the MB service. The GLK has a terrible back seat but it is far more a "man's" SUV compared to the RX. One last thing about our IS350, I just traded my 4th and last MINI back in May and I'm so happy. This IS does everything and does it better than the MINIs ever did. I just miss the close MINI community and the runs.
Old 09-06-11, 01:14 PM
fatttu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by The X Men
The IS350 is more of a direct competitor of the BMW 335i, not the mini.

Apples and oranges... I'm comparing it because of its relative small size and sporty driving characteristics. I think potential MINI owners test driving an IS would consider it over a MINI, especially when they have to deal with MINI USA and the dealer network. They drove me away to where I will never ever purchase a BMW product. I don't ask for it but everyone at Lexus has kissed my hiney and my experience with them is only positive. Can't say that for my MINI years!
Also, this has nothing to do with anything but...even though my last two MINIs had turbo engines, I'm still concerned about potential problems relating to the extra moving parts, intense heat, etc., especially during the high performance motoring as I did. I'm very happy going back to a naturally aspirated engine. I won't romp on our IS but I'm happy knowing it will play when we want it to.
Old 09-07-11, 10:55 AM
Ripmaster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fatttu
Apples and oranges... I'm comparing it because of its relative small size and sporty driving characteristics. I think potential MINI owners test driving an IS would consider it over a MINI, especially when they have to deal with MINI USA and the dealer network. They drove me away to where I will never ever purchase a BMW product. I don't ask for it but everyone at Lexus has kissed my hiney and my experience with them is only positive. Can't say that for my MINI years!
Also, this has nothing to do with anything but...even though my last two MINIs had turbo engines, I'm still concerned about potential problems relating to the extra moving parts, intense heat, etc., especially during the high performance motoring as I did. I'm very happy going back to a naturally aspirated engine. I won't romp on our IS but I'm happy knowing it will play when we want it to.
I'll jump in here because:

1. - I've owned a '99 RX300, '09 RX350 and as of 2 months ago an '11 RX350
AND
I lease an '11 BMW 335i with Xdrive

Based on owning 3 generations of RXs, I would respectfully suggest to Lexus that they change their tag line to: "Lexus: The Relentless Pursuit of Just Above Average".

My '99 developed a weird electrical problem where the vehicle would just quit. Lexus was never able to determine root cause, but gave me a generous trade in allowance for the '09.
Man, talk about a love/hate relationship. It had so many rattles from the sunroof and front dash it was embarassing. I hauled that car into the dealer at least 10 different times to get those rattles fixed, and they never could silence them all.

I also hated the interface for managing songs, radio, etc on the display. Not only did it grey out unnecessarily, but it was cumbersome and difficult to navigate through.

But we loved the ride and look of the interior. To be honest, I was going to consider another brand, but Lexus once again made me an offer I couldn't refuse on this year's model.

Now our '11 is too new to find issues, but I do hate the little cost cutting things like not having lit overhead HomeLink buttons, etc. Why?
It does ride better so far though....we are going to give the fit & finish a go and see if it is better than our '09. THey have also improved the interface a LOT, but still could use a few tweaks (XM radio subscribers - am I right?)

As for BMW - I got rid of my '07 Infiniti G35X (which I loved btw) because I got a great deal on a fully loaded '11 BMW 335i. Here in Colorado, I love the fact that the engine is turbo charged (no loss of HP at 5280 feet!). However, I have had a small number of very minor things initially, but the dealer has been great and replaced everything no questions asked.

That being said, two of my friends are BMW onwers and have had terrible luck with long term quality. In one, - an '06 330 his transmission failed completely at 45000 miles. BMW would not do anything for him because when it failed he first took it to an independant BMW shop. Um, that's because it was the closest BMW service facility he could limp the car to. He was out $7000 for the transmission replacement.

The other friend has an '07 X3 - he had always been nickel and dimed with repairs but just recently the right side AC vents stopped blowing air. $3500 later it was fixed.

My 335 is a lease - I will really be hard pressed to keep it based on those quality issues, and the way BMW is treating current customers. I understand if something is out of warranty, but a failed transmission at only 45K?

So what carmaker out there is producing a truly excellent car? Maybe they all have issues as they become so over-engineered, but right now I know of no one that is having issues with their recent Infiniti models...doesn't mean that Infiniti doesn't have issues of course, but based on my ownership experience that car was bullet-proof!

Oh well, anyways back to Lexus - I have to admit our '11 Obsidian Black with Tan leather interior is a gorgeous looking car!

Last edited by Ripmaster; 09-07-11 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 11:00 AM
Ripmaster
Driver School Candidate

No doubt Lexus dealers have better customer service than Mini, of course you know that you pay a premium for the Lexus dealer to kiss your hiney
I think most potential Mini owners with a budget in mind cannot affort to cross shop the IS350 which is almost double the price.
See my post, above. My Lexus dealer has at times been very difficult to deal with. My '09 RX350 developed a problem with a rattling sunroof...after 4 trips back and forth to the dealer (who at one point even used duct tape to fix) I saw that many people were having the same problems on forums like this. It took a 5th trip, and a good bit of very angry ranting to the general manager from me to finally demand a whole new sunroof assembly, which by the way fixed the problem.

Dealer has also repeatedly told me they can't reproduce other rattles, yet when I go for a test drive with the shop supervisor, he hears them loud and clear. Of course, I get a call the next day from the shop: "Sir, we weren't able to reproduce the noise again". GRRRRRRRR

I honestly believe Lexus has lost sight of their original pursuit of perfection...

One last note - you're right to state that we all pay a premium for Lexus dealers, but our service isn't included. SO that's a very expensive price to pay for hiney kissing, which some of us haven't even gotten...more like a hiney slapping LOL. BMW does give you free service, even brake pads and wiper blades, for instance. And before the next person jumps in and says: "Yeah, but you pay for that in the price of the car" it doesn't matter in the end - cars are comparable in price in the end as well...

Last edited by Ripmaster; 09-07-11 at 11:04 AM.
Old 09-07-11, 11:34 AM
Ripmaster
Driver School Candidate

Generally, Lexus are more relaible than German car and have better dealer service. Of course generalization means thats not always the case. I had owned a few very relaible Audi and BMW myself and my last car was a 08 Lexus GS350 which was in the shop very often.
Lexus warranty service is certainly not what they used to be, they use to replace anything you would complain about, no a days, they question every nickel and dime.
I think these days, that can be said of every dealer I'm afraid.
Old 09-07-11, 01:58 PM
fatttu
Driver School Candidate

Generally, Lexus are more relaible than German car and have better dealer service. Of course generalization means thats not always the case. I had owned a few very relaible Audi and BMW myself and my last car was a 08 Lexus GS350 which was in the shop very often.
Lexus warranty service is certainly not what they used to be, they use to replace anything you would complain about, no a days, they question every nickel and dime.

Dealers are stealers! I can't fault anyone bringing home the bacon but the things I've see dealers do over the years puts me off from ever wanting to step foot in a showroom or a service department. However, our Lexus dealer has been our best experience. I can't say that about any of the 6 MINI dealers I've been to. Also, I've never ever had any mechanical problems and/or rattle problems with my 4 MINIs, even motoring as spiritedly as I did during our MINI runs. I only had to hold my nose every 5k miles for service.

About our 3 RX, we only had the warranty work done on the first one because of the rattling AC ducts in the dash and they made us happy on that. For the next 2, we only visited service every 5k miles for a service and each time, it is "How are you do Mr. this and Mr. that and can I get you a drink", and so on....
Old 09-07-11, 05:27 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Just finished reading most of rants and raves from fellow members.
Anybody else owns/ have owned a Range Rover? Or how about an L3?
Let's swap notes about reliability.

UnfortunAtely, the price of the car doesn't equate with reliability nor superiority of the after sales Service. And this is where I honestly believe Lexus has made its niche.
Old 09-09-11, 07:33 PM
omegaknox
Driver School Candidate

Am meeting 9-13-11 with Lexus corporate rep. My gut tells me that even though the 19" wheels look good, the lower profile is the source of the rough ride. Leave the low profile tires for sports cars
Old 09-09-11, 07:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by omegaknox
Am meeting 9-13-11 with Lexus corporate rep. My gut tells me that even though the 19" wheels look good, the lower profile is the source of the rough ride. Leave the low profile tires for sports cars
I have the 19" wheels and Dunlop tires on my 450h. I have noticed that there is a broad range of ride quality and interior noise depending on the road surface. Most of the roads in my immediate vicinity are good and the 450h does an acceptable job. But, on a recent short trip I was on a portion of freeway that looked OK and still caused higher noise levels and a rough edge to the ride. I couldn't help but think that I was glad that I didn't have to drive that every day.
Old 09-10-11, 06:52 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

rims are like shoes.. fashionable but not comfortable.

Quick Reply: How do you guys like your current RX?