RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do you guys like your current RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-10, 06:40 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

dennison, does your wife have the obsidian black paint from mercedes or just the plain black? I feel that if you get a black that is not metallic, you are in for tough time as the black paint is just hideous to look at when you start getting swirls. From my experience with my black IS, I know not to buy another vehicle that doesnt have metallic specs because with it, it hides the swirls much better. My C350 is obsidian black.

I hope the new color for the RX450h, stargazer black, is a metallic sort of black/dark blue.
Old 07-22-10, 06:56 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

RXSF, I agree, a metallic black would be a great addition for 2011. I would think about it when the 4th gen comes out. When do you think that will be
Old 07-22-10, 07:14 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
dennison, does your wife have the obsidian black paint from mercedes or just the plain black? I feel that if you get a black that is not metallic, you are in for tough time as the black paint is just hideous to look at when you start getting swirls. From my experience with my black IS, I know not to buy another vehicle that doesnt have metallic specs because with it, it hides the swirls much better. My C350 is obsidian black.

I hope the new color for the RX450h, stargazer black, is a metallic sort of black/dark blue.
with black paint, you are going to get swirls no matter how careful you are. but you have to admit, a black car that has just been washed/waxed looks gorgeous!
Old 07-22-10, 07:54 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I like it. The car feel solid. The dash is very pretty and looks luxurious. My friend bought a Infinity G37 and its dash is not as nice as the RX.
Old 07-22-10, 07:55 PM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Do you guys feel the car shudders over big/small bumps? Or the floorpan vibrating?
No, not at all.
Old 07-22-10, 08:10 PM
pulp
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i had mine since May 2009, and its really a mixed bag. while it has been 100% trouble free mechanically i had a long list of ongoing issues with it:

- was delivered with HUD screen defective, dealer fixed at 5K maintenance
- the ride is harsher than expected with too much noises happening over bumps
- dash crackles while driving
- cargo cover squeak, removed it
- front windows frame rattle, fixed with felt tape
- Handles above doors rattle, fixed with WD-40
- driver door windows buttons area squeaked when knee pressed against it, fixed with WD-40
- Front bumper right side loose, dealer attempted to fix 3 times but it comes loose again, and now promising to change the whole bumper by the 30,000km maintenance
- rear suspension started squeaking by 15,000km, dealer changed rear shocks twice now and squeak is still the same, this by far the worst issue of them all
- rattle from the rear wing (wiper blade area)
- ticking noise when turning the steering wheel at 20,000km, dealer fixed by replacing some plastic under the hood over the windshield wipers

at this point, i am starting to consider whither to keep it long term or not.

this is the first time i ever purchased a Japanese brand car, and i have to say i am disappointed with lexus, i don't know how to describe it but the car feels like it was simply just designed in CAD software then went quickly into manufacturing without enough real world testing.

mine is Japan made, build date February 2009, from following this forum for awhile though it seems like things improved with later build dates.
Old 07-22-10, 08:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
RXSF, I agree, a metallic black would be a great addition for 2011. I would think about it when the 4th gen comes out. When do you think that will be
haha maybe an additional 5 years from now. Wonder where we'll all be by then. owning three generations of RX is believable...four might be pushing it
Old 07-23-10, 07:43 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by pulp
i had mine since May 2009, and its really a mixed bag. while it has been 100% trouble free mechanically i had a long list of ongoing issues with it:

- was delivered with HUD screen defective, dealer fixed at 5K maintenance
- the ride is harsher than expected with too much noises happening over bumps
- dash crackles while driving
- cargo cover squeak, removed it
- front windows frame rattle, fixed with felt tape
- Handles above doors rattle, fixed with WD-40
- driver door windows buttons area squeaked when knee pressed against it, fixed with WD-40
- Front bumper right side loose, dealer attempted to fix 3 times but it comes loose again, and now promising to change the whole bumper by the 30,000km maintenance
- rear suspension started squeaking by 15,000km, dealer changed rear shocks twice now and squeak is still the same, this by far the worst issue of them all
- rattle from the rear wing (wiper blade area)
- ticking noise when turning the steering wheel at 20,000km, dealer fixed by replacing some plastic under the hood over the windshield wipers

at this point, i am starting to consider whither to keep it long term or not.

this is the first time i ever purchased a Japanese brand car, and i have to say i am disappointed with lexus, i don't know how to describe it but the car feels like it was simply just designed in CAD software then went quickly into manufacturing without enough real world testing.

mine is Japan made, build date February 2009, from following this forum for awhile though it seems like things improved with later build dates.
Sounds like my 2008 ES. I can't wait til the lease is over or I hope they extend the 6mo lease payment forgiveness until December or something.
Old 07-23-10, 08:36 AM
zak21
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dennison17
I have a 2010 450h...it is rock solid. not one rattle or noise...nomatter what type of road I'm on. I have very few issues... The only recommendation I have is to not get the Black paint. It is REALLY soft and shows any scratch. (I'm awaiting a special buffer and compound kit to keep these smoothed out.) My wife's new black Mercedes has a much harder finish that eliminates such fuss....
Regarding the black paint, I saw this thread in the detailing forum and think it may be worth a try for you black RX owners. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/aut...91-teaser.html
Old 07-23-10, 08:54 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to say that I was some what disappointed when I got my first RX as this was my first Lexus and expected a little bit better build quality. The first was Japan built 10/09.
I experienced all the rattles frequently mentioned in this forum. I had addressed most of them but there was one persistent one in the drivers door which I believe was the whole door panel. After they replaced the door from the accident, the rattle was gone.

Next up was a Japan built 04/10. Both vehicles had the Luxury Package and AWD. No mechanical problems with either RX. This second build is much more solid and had no rattles from the get go. I believe Lexus might have pushed this car to production a little to fast just to keep up with it's competition.

All in all very happy with this car, even more so on the second go around. Too bad, that should not be the way, especially for what the RX cost. Hopefully Lexus visits these forums so they can see a real world take on their vehicles.

I will be keeping this one for a while, I love it.
Old 07-23-10, 09:08 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I have to say that I was some what disappointed when I got my first RX as this was my first Lexus and expected a little bit better build quality. The first was Japan built 10/09.
I experienced all the rattles frequently mentioned in this forum. I had addressed most of them but there was one persistent one in the drivers door which I believe was the whole door panel. After they replaced the door from the accident, the rattle was gone.

Next up was a Japan built 04/10. Both vehicles had the Luxury Package and AWD. No mechanical problems with either RX. This second build is much more solid and had no rattles from the get go. I believe Lexus might have pushed this car to production a little to fast just to keep up with it's competition.

All in all very happy with this car, even more so on the second go around. Too bad, that should not be the way, especially for what the RX cost. Hopefully Lexus visits these forums so they can see a real world take on their vehicles.

I will be keeping this one for a while, I love it.
Late builds are usually better after the early build bugs are fixed.
I usually never buy a vehicle that's hasn't been out at least a year no matter who the auto manufacturer may be.
I thought there would be no worry with a new generation Toyota product but then I bought a '07 Camry XLE that had issues.
I bought my RX in 4/10.I believe the '10 RX was available 2/09.
Old 07-23-10, 11:42 AM
Sandi_k
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
where to begin...

first, there is no way you will be able to specify that you want a Japanese made RX versus a Canadian one if you are special ordering. There are theories about which configuration comes from which country but we have no definite answer. We do know that all the RX hybrids are built in Japan.
Not entirely true. We also know that the RX350's with the Sport Package are built in Japan - they have VDIM, as do the hybrids. The VDIM manufacturing capability is not available at the Canadian plant.

Sandi
Old 07-23-10, 12:49 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't believe this made in Japan better than made in U.S./Canada. Everything is in the design and the quality of material used, not with the HUMAN assembling it. It's not like the Canadian worker is assembling the vehicles piece by pieces, screw by screw. The workers are literally just moving a machine which is already programmed to perform a precise task. The worker does not do much actually and to say a Japan built would be better is just purely psychological.

I wonder if a manufacturer were to actually do a scientific test where they swapped Japan and Canada built vehicles, if the owners that preferred Japanese would still prefer their "Japanese" built vehicles and still say they were better.

Ahhh... whatever. This thread has gone from how the RX owners feels to which is better built...
Old 07-24-10, 07:01 AM
iewiew
Driver

The longer I own mine the less I like it. Wind noise, rattles, squeaks. This is not what I expected from a Lexus product. My 04' A6 Audi with more than 130K miles is still quieter. We are going to replace the Audi in the future and Lexus is off the list, the LS460 debacle is what convinced me. Going to look at a new A6 or S550. May even look at a Jag.

Last edited by iewiew; 07-25-10 at 05:40 AM.
Old 07-24-10, 05:38 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default same here

Originally Posted by iewiew
The longer I own mine the less I like it. Wind noise, rattles, squeaks. This is not what I expected from a Lexus product. My 04' A4 Audi with more than 130K miles is still quieter. We are going to replace the Audi in the future and Lexus is off the list, the LS460 debacle is what convinced me. Going to look at a new A6 or S550. May even look at a Jag.
I just don't have the same problems with 2010 BMW as with my 2010 RX. Sad

Quick Reply: How do you guys like your current RX?