RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do you guys like your current RX?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-10, 04:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm six months in and don't have rattles. Really didn't have them on any of my RXs, all Japan built.

Re the A/C, I hit auto to get it going, move temp up or down, and then mode to switch vents. But I have to go into the nav screen to turn it off. Also, A/C is set to automatically come on with the windshield defrost. I turned it off.
Old 07-21-10, 05:45 PM
garfull
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i guess im one of the few who is having issues with the rx. mines is canada built. i have a laundry list of issues that have yet to be all resolved. the biggest issues are poor fit and finish on the exterior and interior of the rx not lexus quality at all. the rattles are a major annoyance as well. if you search for my post you will find my many rants. im still hanging on to it for the mean time.
Old 07-22-10, 06:41 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

How do you get a Japan built version? I mean I doubt the dealer will let you choose.
Old 07-22-10, 06:47 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No creaks, shudders or rattles except for a "snap" like sound in the winter which I believe is due to the interior of the car warming up - disappears once the car is warm.
Old 07-22-10, 07:00 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
How do you get a Japan built version? I mean I doubt the dealer will let you choose.
I don't buy the Japan is better vs Canada for a minute.
I had a RAV4 and a '08 GS350 that both were made in Japan and they both had terrible creak and rattle issues.In fact,the same generation GS350 had rattles issues for at least 3 years according to my service advisor when I owned the GS.
I don't believe the Japanese work ethic is the same as it was 10,20.... years ago.
Old 07-22-10, 08:09 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

I believe you mean to say the Corporate culture has changed. Cars these days do feel more flimsy. The other day at a parking garage, when the owner closed the driverside door on his Camry (current gen), I noticed the sheet metal shook and vibrated and it wasn't a hard close.

Maybe I will chalk up some of the issues with the '10 RX as first year issues. Perhaps I will just wait until next summer. Then again, it sounded like the same dashboard creaks and rattles on my ES.
Old 07-22-10, 09:32 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

situman, I have bought all three of my RXs during the first year of production with no issues beyond a defective rear driver side window switch on the '04. The RX has been pretty solid from the get go.

I don't fully buy into the Canadian vs. Japanese build hype either. If it does concern you, check the VIN. But at this point of the game, I'd wait and check out the 2011 anyway.
Old 07-22-10, 09:52 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't buy the Japan is better vs Canada for a minute.
I had a RAV4 and a '08 GS350 that both were made in Japan and they both had terrible creak and rattle issues.In fact,the same generation GS350 had rattles issues for at least 3 years according to my service advisor when I owned the GS.
I don't believe the Japanese work ethic is the same as it was 10,20.... years ago.
there is nothing wrong with the japanese work ethic. they chain themselves to their jobs now just as they did 10-20 years ago. nothing has changed. BUT if you are talking about rattles (and other issues in the GS), then you can blame it on design flaw (and not the workers putting the car together). the car is only as good as the design that went into them.
Old 07-22-10, 09:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
there is nothing wrong with the japanese work ethic. they chain themselves to their jobs now just as they did 10-20 years ago. nothing has changed. BUT if you are talking about rattles (and other issues in the GS), then you can blame it on design flaw (and not the workers putting the car together). the car is only as good as the design that went into them.

Maybe it comes down to lesser quality parts now along with design.
Old 07-22-10, 10:14 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Maybe it comes down to lesser quality parts now along with design.
yes, i agree that lesser quality parts does have an impact.
Old 07-22-10, 10:16 AM
mkimball
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine (one of the Canadian made ones) for just about a year now, and knock wood, it's been great. I think my seat is finally breaking in so it's a bit more comfy now. I feel like I'm sitting lower in the 3rd gen. Probably because Lexus wanted to make the 3rd gen more like a car? Sat higher in the 1st and 2nd gen. My husband did detect a rattle in the overhead area near the rearview mirror and Lexus fixed it. We pulled the cargo cover out of it's holders to stop the rattle there.
Old 07-22-10, 10:58 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

where to begin...

first, there is no way you will be able to specify that you want a Japanese made RX versus a Canadian one if you are special ordering. There are theories about which configuration comes from which country but we have no definite answer. We do know that all the RX hybrids are built in Japan. However, if the car is on the lot, you can easily see where it was built by looking at the door jam where it will say country of origin or look at the vin number (starts with J).

As for the differences, I personally prefer a Japanese built one, but I have no issues with a Canadian built one. Both of my RXs have been built in Japan, but while they havent been completely trouble free, they have kept me a Lexus enthusiast.

As for the rattles, every buyer knows that if you buy a first year vehicle, you are going to experience little glitches as you will be the test rabbits. Thankfully, it is still relatively safe to buy a Lexus first year vehicle, and I can attest to that with my 04 RX.

To the OP, if you are just looking at the RX now, you will have a late built '10 model and the bugs from the beginning should be fixed since the 3rd gen RX started its sale back in February of 09; so it has had more than a year to have its production issues fixed. You can also wait for the '11 model which should be out late summer.

Chassis flex is something I have never experienced in any Lexus. This is however evident in my Toyota Sienna, but I attribute it to the long frame and the cheaper quality. I dont see why you should be worried about that in the RX. Rattles are always a possibility and I have never driven a rattle free car except for my IS300.
Old 07-22-10, 12:12 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would hope Lexus reads these posts.
I have had all three generations of the RX. This one sucks when it comes to build quality and it was made in Canada. Don't care if it is poor design, build or materials. It is just not up to the standards of previous models. Net this is my last Lexus or Toyota product.
Old 07-22-10, 05:53 PM
tigerbait
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Bought my wife a RX350 14 months ago. Mainly because I wanted her
to have a reliable vehicle that I knew was would last and retain valve.
No complaints on the build quality. No squeaks, rattles and pretty rock solid.
Handles very well for a SUV. Good gas mileage. 24.3 on last road trip.
Our complaint is with the comfort level. For us the front seat is not comfortable. I feel as though I'm gonna slide right out of it when I hit the
brakes. Many on this board have said how much they love the ride. To us
the ride is harsh on any but the best surfaces. Any late model pick-up
truck has a better ride. I believe Lexus caved in to the 0-60 and salom
speed crowd and tightened the suspension too much. Take a long test drive.
To be fair we're in our 60's and comfort is the utmost.
Old 07-22-10, 06:35 PM
dennison17
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2010 450h...it is rock solid. not one rattle or noise...nomatter what type of road I'm on. I have very few issues... The only recommendation I have is to not get the Black paint. It is REALLY soft and shows any scratch. (I'm awaiting a special buffer and compound kit to keep these smoothed out.) My wife's new black Mercedes has a much harder finish that eliminates such fuss....

Quick Reply: How do you guys like your current RX?