RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Installed K&N High Flow Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-12, 12:11 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Don't know if it can happen in all situations but I put a K&N in my 03 RX300. At about 3,000 miles after I put it in I got an error message on the dash. I don't really remember what it said but it had to do with the emission system. I was about 5 min from the dealer so I just drove in. He plugged his little handheld computer in while it was still in the drive bay and asked if I had installed a K&N filter. I said yes. He removed it, cleaned the sensors and installed a regular paper one (for parts price) and said some of the oil from the foam had gotten to the sensors and forced the message. Never used one again and never had another problem. He did say it doesn't happen 'all' the time but can and does frequently if you tromp it and suck air in fast enough.

He seemed to know right off what it might be so I'm guessing he'd seen it before.
Originally Posted by dctex99
They are all oil impregnated foam so they catch more dust and finer dust than a "dry" filter; and of course more expensive. If you don't drive in sandstorms or heavy dust you can clean them every 50,000 miles and than re-oil them again. They do let in more air as paper is restrictive and that is why you see them on so many race cars and trucks!!!
"

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-12-12 at 12:14 PM. Reason: accuracy
Old 05-12-12, 12:23 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default EXACTLY why I said

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Don't know if it can happen in all situations but I put a K&N in my 03 RX300. At about 3,000 miles after I put it in I got an error message on the dash. I don't really remember what it said but it had to do with the emission system. I was about 5 min from the dealer so I just drove in. He plugged his little handheld computer in while it was still in the drive bay and asked if I had installed a K&N filter. I said yes. He removed it, cleaned the sensors and installed a regular paper one (for parts price) and said some of the oil from the foam had gotten to the sensors and forced the message. Never used one again and never had another problem. He did say it doesn't happen 'all' the time but can and does frequently if you tromp it and suck air in fast enough.

He seemed to know right off what it might be so I'm guessing he'd seen it before.
to check the amount of oil on the one you buy;;they put differing amounts of oil on them when made so WIPE off if it is dripping!!! They are made 65 miles from me;;they are in everything from Miining trucks to the tiniest car!! Paper is so 90's....lol If proper you can FLOOR your ZR1 Corvette and no oil would come out of it!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by dctex99; 05-12-12 at 12:25 PM. Reason: education
Old 05-12-12, 04:12 PM
Cruiter

But don't you think if you bought something like that for the purpose of keeping 'all' foreign particles from traveling any further, that would/should include oil mist that 'might' make it to the sensors ??? Just sayin
to check the amount of oil on the one you buy;;they put differing amounts of oil on them when made so WIPE off if it is dripping!!! They are made 65 miles from me;;they are in everything from Miining trucks to the tiniest car!! Paper is so 90's....lol If proper you can FLOOR your ZR1 Corvette and no oil would come out of it!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-12, 05:36 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Default No

Originally Posted by Cruiter
But don't you think if you bought something like that for the purpose of keeping 'all' foreign particles from traveling any further, that would/should include oil mist that 'might' make it to the sensors ??? Just sayin
and their are millions of miles onf K&N filters without problems.......some people think "More is better" and over oil them; you obviously don't have experience with them; it is a unique foam with special oil; works great; lasts forever!!! Much for fun for Lexus to sell you 50 cents worth of paper for $20 every 10,000 miles tho....the american way; same with oil filters except more like 10 cents worth of paper!!!

A little history since I am a car buff;;;back in the 80's K-mart was paying exactly 51 Cents for every oil filter as long as they sold over 2 million a year....they were $2.14 AT THE beginning,,than $1.88,,,,and if it looked like they wouldn't make their goal, $1.44......made it every year; and LOTS of profit.....I could go on!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-12, 05:41 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Nvm i guess im not gonna get me a filter.
Old 05-12-12, 05:47 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

have 40-50k miles on our K & N, have cleaned and reoiled twice during that time. No issues. I left the carbon filter in place too. The two times I took it out to clean and put a paper filter back in, my spouse complains she can feel the difference and can't wait to get the K&N back in. Yes, she has lead foot.
Old 05-12-12, 06:27 PM
Cruiter

Default No experience with them ???

You obviously didn't read my earlier post. The oil was an issue.
you obviously don't have experience with them;
Old 05-12-12, 06:46 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Default Yes

Originally Posted by afpj
have 40-50k miles on our K & N, have cleaned and reoiled twice during that time. No issues. I left the carbon filter in place too. The two times I took it out to clean and put a paper filter back in, my spouse complains she can feel the difference and can't wait to get the K&N back in. Yes, she has lead foot.
They DO add noticeable horsepower to vehicles; and especially noticed on V6's pulling a heavy a SUV!!!!
Old 05-12-12, 08:44 PM
Tiggerr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All I'm going to say is...I installed this back on 07-07-10 and still rockin it till now. I have approximately 30k on the odometer and not a single CEL issue.

Most people when they clean the filter they over oil it and it's an oil issue going into the MAF as mentioned on an earlier post. I've owned more than a handful of cars before and they all had an aftermarket filter without issue.

BTW, I love the little "vrromm" the RX makes when WOT.
Old 05-12-12, 10:08 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Talking Yes,

Sadly many people don't realize that the aftermarket like K&N make a MUCH BETTER product than OEM!! They will put $2000 worth of AFTERMARKET wheels on and AFTERMARKET Leds and AFTERMARKET floormats....but are stubborn when a product actually makes your Lexus BETTER..get better gas mileage and have more power....I understand everyone isn't a car buff OR an engineer but be a little bit open minded.....lol
Old 05-12-12, 10:23 PM
py0413
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have this K&N air filter installed since last summer and the only benefit you get is actually you get to clean it up and make is look like new whenever you want. I guess this is some little thing that makes people feel better, other than that, no, I can't tell any difference over the OEM filter.
Old 05-13-12, 08:37 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by py0413
I have this K&N air filter installed since last summer and the only benefit you get is actually you get to clean it up and make is look like new whenever you want. I guess this is some little thing that makes people feel better, other than that, no, I can't tell any difference over the OEM filter.
You should ride with my spouse (HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!). She can bring out the extra ponies from the engine with K&N LOL. Gas mileage improvement does not exist with this type driving.
Old 05-13-12, 03:46 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one in my 450H and every vehicle before that. Never once had an issue. For me its more about putting it in and forgetting about it. To each there own. Haters will hate, lovers will love. There are those that think that big brother always knows best but in reality they dont come with these as it would add to the costs.
Old 05-13-12, 06:18 PM
Cruiter

I don't hate them and know people that use them w/o issues. I also had one in my GMC 5.3L and it worked well. But the one I put into the RX300 gave issues so I quit using them because of the sensors. Simple as that. I buy the paper ones from Sewell cheap enough and they're not hard to change so .....

In my earlier post I was just giving my past experience. People can read from that what they want.
Originally Posted by InRBigness
I have one in my 450H and every vehicle before that. Never once had an issue. For me its more about putting it in and forgetting about it. To each there own. Haters will hate, lovers will love. There are those that think that big brother always knows best but in reality they dont come with these as it would add to the costs.

Last edited by Cruiter; 05-13-12 at 06:19 PM. Reason: correction
Old 05-13-12, 07:08 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jim, I was not implying that you were hating.

I have read 25 threads about this on the forums and the bottom line is that those that like them, like them, those that dont, dont. My thing is with the people who think that makeing any change at all from the way Big Brother sent them the car is a travesty that will result immediately, if not sooner, in a catastophic failure and total and complete voiding of any and all warrantees.

I got my K&N filter from Sewell and sort of think that if they had a problem with them they would not sell them. I guess time will be the ultimate test but I can say that owning my last car for 10 years it paid for itself for 5 times over.

Just my take on it.

Quick Reply: Installed K&N High Flow Air Filter