RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Aftermarket gadgets?

Old 06-25-10, 06:25 AM
yamanote
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket gadgets?

Hey,

Planning to buy my second Lexus (first was a RX300 way back in '99) which will be a RX450h.

Both trim levels are incredibly basic here in Hong Kong- neither the 'Sport' nor the 'Luxury' model has navigation or even a color screen, and there are no options available- you take it or leave it.

Anyways- this is a biggie- I'm not too familiar with roads here and thus need a navigation system. I do have one of those external devices but seems a little strange to have to use that with a brand new, $80000 USD car! I would much prefer an in-dash system like I currently have with my 09 JDM Odyssey. Anyone know whether it's possible to install a simple double-DIN aftermarket system by Alpine or Pioneer with a DVD player [seeing as how the radio/air con screen is installed I reckon not]. Would be nice though... anyone know?

Radar-based cruise control? Had Distronic on my S500 and it's been really useful. Probably requires a lot of wiring though... still, anyone know for sure?

Automatic Parking? I think it's called the Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA) in the US, but my catalog states that the car is equipped with a 'Lexus Park Assist system with rearview monitor'. The backup camera image is displayed in a tiny screen in the mirror, but what's the 'Lexus Park Assist'? Just parking sensors which beep or is it a renamed version of the IPA system?

Heads up display. Any way to install this and tap into the info from the speedo? Not necessary but this would be really cool.

Is there any way to install the glass breakage sensor? Should I go OEM or aftermarket? Seems strange that this isn't included- my 03 Benz had this!

Link to the Equipment section of the HK Lexus RX page, just so you can laff at the crappiness of our trim levels They're charging $631000 (81000 USD)(with the First Registration Tax, which is, admittedly, ridiculously high) for the 'Luxury' model, and that's after the government's $50000 tax reduction for eco cars and a $30000 discount I wheedled out of them!

That's it for now I guess (LOVE the power/electric back door!). Seems to be a pretty nice car other than the lack of some basic equipment that should have been included. If this is anywhere near as good as my RX300 was...

Cheers,

Last edited by yamanote; 06-25-10 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-25-10, 11:23 PM
yamanote
Driver

Any help?
Old 06-25-10, 11:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The HUD would be a bear to retrofit - new dash, lots of re-wiring, etc... Radar-based cruise control would be even worse. On the bright side, the glass breakage sensor is available as a post-delivery feature from Lexus here, as is the remote starter.

Shocked that Nav is not available, and yes that mirror mounted mini-monitor is almost redundant.

Not many posters burn the midnight oil, so expect replies tomorrow.
Old 06-26-10, 12:06 AM
yamanote
Driver

I too was surprised when I heard that the RX had no navigation system, seeing as how even the IS has that option.

I guess the HUD and the radar cruise control are out of the question. I'm assuming the auto parking system is also impossible to install.

What exactly is the remote start? I push the engine start button on the remote from my home and it automatically sets the climate etc so when I enter the vehicle 5 minutes later it is nice and cool? It's not the same as the 'Smart Entry & Start System with Smart Card Key' I assume (that's what's included according to the brochure).

The glass breakage sensor- yeah I'll have to install that. Can I order the part from Toyota USA and install it on my (right hand drive) vehicle? Is the wiring already there (plug and play) or will I have to take it out to a pro installer to wire the car? Are there any aftermarket sensors which will play nice with the factory theft-deterrent system?

Can the monitor on the mirror be used for anything else, or is it solely for the backup camera (not that I would want to watch a movie on that thing)? Can I install a sideview camera and wire it to the mirror's screen?

Any way to install an aftermarket screen? I'll have to plug in my iPad and stick it on the dash if that's not possible, heh. There is an AUX 3.5mm input and a USB jack right? Can't find any mention of that in my catalog.

Sorry for all the questions

EDIT: It seems that the Hong Kong version is simply a basic RX450h AWD with the Comfort and Luxury package, albeit with the color screen (is that included with the barebones RX450h in the US?), Bluetooth and sideview camera [from Luxury Pkg] removed with a backup cam installed.

Last edited by yamanote; 06-26-10 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 12:44 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

Remote start is a secure starting system that does what it implies, but also shuts down after a fixed time, or if a door is opened. The idea here is if you activated it, but became distracted and an intruder broke your window and tried to drive away, the system would shut down. There is some dis-assembly of dash components but an excellent step-by-step guide is supplied, and from there, it's a plug-in module (your keyfob is setup up already). Price and guide are available here:

Sewell Lexus Parts

That's about as much as I can contribute...

Good Luck!
Old 06-26-10, 01:25 AM
yamanote
Driver

Thanks a lot for your help- it seems like a lot of trouble just for the ability to remotely start the car- I'll have to reconsider the remote start

Anyone can help me on the other few points?

EDIT: Also, can anyone suggest a good aftermarket Bluetooth [for phones] system (preferably with voice command) which can be wired through my car's built in sound system (and also mute the radio or CD I might be playing when a call comes in/when I make a call)?

Last edited by yamanote; 06-26-10 at 01:36 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 05:12 AM
ToyotaFan
Driver

Flyaudio just released an 'OEM Style' aftermarket unit. Members in the IS section seem to be very happy with theirs (There's a big thread about the unit here.).

One problem though, the one in the link below is for a left hand drive 3RX (e.g. Mainland China, Taiwan, US/ Canada.). Might want to try dropping them an email, asking if they'll be able to make one for right hand applications.

http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=227&xid=3
Old 06-26-10, 05:37 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by yamanote
Hey,

Planning to buy my second Lexus (first was a RX300 way back in '99) which will be a RX450h.

Both trim levels are incredibly basic here in Hong Kong- neither the 'Sport' nor the 'Luxury' model has navigation or even a color screen, and there are no options available- you take it or leave it.

Anyways- this is a biggie- I'm not too familiar with roads here and thus need a navigation system. I do have one of those external devices but seems a little strange to have to use that with a brand new, $80000 USD car! I would much prefer an in-dash system like I currently have with my 09 JDM Odyssey. Anyone know whether it's possible to install a simple double-DIN aftermarket system by Alpine or Pioneer with a DVD player [seeing as how the radio/air con screen is installed I reckon not]. Would be nice though... anyone know?

Radar-based cruise control? Had Distronic on my S500 and it's been really useful. Probably requires a lot of wiring though... still, anyone know for sure?

Automatic Parking? I think it's called the Intelligent Parking Assist (IPA) in the US, but my catalog states that the car is equipped with a 'Lexus Park Assist system with rearview monitor'. The backup camera image is displayed in a tiny screen in the mirror, but what's the 'Lexus Park Assist'? Just parking sensors which beep or is it a renamed version of the IPA system?

Heads up display. Any way to install this and tap into the info from the speedo? Not necessary but this would be really cool.

Is there any way to install the glass breakage sensor? Should I go OEM or aftermarket? Seems strange that this isn't included- my 03 Benz had this!

Link to the Equipment section of the HK Lexus RX page, just so you can laff at the crappiness of our trim levels They're charging $631000 (81000 USD)(with the First Registration Tax, which is, admittedly, ridiculously high) for the 'Luxury' model, and that's after the government's $50000 tax reduction for eco cars and a $30000 discount I wheedled out of them!

That's it for now I guess (LOVE the power/electric back door!). Seems to be a pretty nice car other than the lack of some basic equipment that should have been included. If this is anywhere near as good as my RX300 was...

Cheers,
I really like this link http://www.lexus.com.hk/technology_e...el=4_RX#active found in your website. It really does a good job explaining many of the high tech features of our RX. I haven't found this in our US website.
Old 06-26-10, 06:27 AM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by ToyotaFan
Flyaudio just released an 'OEM Style' aftermarket unit. Members in the IS section seem to be very happy with theirs (There's a big thread about the unit here.).

One problem though, the one in the link below is for a left hand drive 3RX (e.g. Mainland China, Taiwan, US/ Canada.). Might want to try dropping them an email, asking if they'll be able to make one for right hand applications.

http://www.flyaudio.net/product_id.asp?id=227&xid=3
Thank you! That was exactly what I was looking for (seen it for the Camry but did not know that it was available for the RX). I've emailed them about compatibility with RHD vehicles.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I really like this link http://www.lexus.com.hk/technology_e...el=4_RX#active found in your website. It really does a good job explaining many of the high tech features of our RX. I haven't found this in our US website.
This seems to be a fancier equivalent of the Technology Explorer, but on the Lexus US site with videos
Old 06-26-10, 06:58 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Holy Moly, no bluetooth in a Lexus. I would have thought that to be standard feature!
Old 06-26-10, 08:26 AM
yamanote
Driver

Yeah I know- at least it it has a 6-disc CD changer
Bluetooth does seem to be a standard feature in the US and Canada, don't know why they removed it.

Does anyone know whether Defi's aftermarket HUDs are any good? Am considering installing one.

Last edited by yamanote; 06-26-10 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-26-10, 12:09 PM
06i
Driver

wow that's pretty cool, but will it be a little hard to reach the touchscreen? given our screens are deep in the dash...
Old 06-26-10, 04:23 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yamanote
Bluetooth does seem to be a standard feature in the US and Canada, don't know why they removed it.
It's not always Lexus's fault. The dealers have a lot of input on how the cars are packaged. What sells in one market may be a bust in another. It doesn't help that import cars in your locale are ridiculously priced, due in part to low volumes and forbiddingly high import duties. Not as bad as other countries in Asia mind you, who are nursing home-based, state subsidized car manufacturing endeavours. That RX would set you back almost US$200K in Thailand (5.5 Million Thai Baht)...
Old 06-26-10, 06:16 PM
oscqc
Rookie

I drive a 2010 RX450h in Canada. The HUD is great but the Navigation system is not worth the powder to blow it to hell. I think that you would be better off with a Garmain or other after-market unit which would fit in the indentation in the dash. I suspect that one of the reasons you cannot get an OE unit where you live is that the supplier to Lexus does not have the area properly mapped. I think the Lexus packaging policy is insane. In Canada, we have to buy certain packages and cannot select individual add-ons. To get what I wanted, I had to get a package that included a set of DVD players in the front seat headrests even though I expect that no-one will ever be in the back seats so long as I have the vehicle. A total waste of about C$2400. This is my first Lexus after 13 consecutive Audi vehicles and I expect that it will be my last.
Best of luck with your new RX.
Old 06-26-10, 07:09 PM
yamanote
Driver

Originally Posted by Johnny
It's not always Lexus's fault. The dealers have a lot of input on how the cars are packaged. What sells in one market may be a bust in another. It doesn't help that import cars in your locale are ridiculously priced, due in part to low volumes and forbiddingly high import duties. Not as bad as other countries in Asia mind you, who are nursing home-based, state subsidized car manufacturing endeavours. That RX would set you back almost US$200K in Thailand (5.5 Million Thai Baht)...
True. Strange though, as they don't seem to have removed Bluetooth from the LS or the GS, and it's a $9000 HKD option on the IS.

If only I lived in Japan...

Originally Posted by oscqc
I drive a 2010 RX450h in Canada. The HUD is great but the Navigation system is not worth the powder to blow it to hell. I think that you would be better off with a Garmain or other after-market unit which would fit in the indentation in the dash. I suspect that one of the reasons you cannot get an OE unit where you live is that the supplier to Lexus does not have the area properly mapped. I think the Lexus packaging policy is insane. In Canada, we have to buy certain packages and cannot select individual add-ons. To get what I wanted, I had to get a package that included a set of DVD players in the front seat headrests even though I expect that no-one will ever be in the back seats so long as I have the vehicle. A total waste of about C$2400. This is my first Lexus after 13 consecutive Audi vehicles and I expect that it will be my last.
Best of luck with your new RX.
If I had to choose an option package jam packed with stuff I wouldn't mind as long as I got what I wanted. I have absolutely no choice (to get the nav screen or HUD) other than importing a Japanese RX from Japan (if I only wanted the screen) or installing this stuff aftermarket.

I mean, I wouldn't mind only having the screen there without navigation, like it is on the IS and GS. At least I would be able to plug in a 'GPS box' to the rear AUX inputs.

It's not because Lexus doesn't have maps for my area, I test drove a LS460L and the GPS on it was great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket gadgets?