RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

12 Speaker premium or Mark Levinson

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-10, 05:46 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Speaker premium or Mark Levinson

I am beginning talks with my local dealer about the purchase of a 2010 RX450h. I would prefer to have the Mark Levinson audio system, but none of their vehicles have this option, and the inventory manager is saying to get that, that a 3 month order would have to be made.
I even went to the Lexus site to build my 450, and the ML system was not listed as an option, although i can spec this out on kbb.com when i build one over there. I guess its just a regional thing.

Now to my question:

Can someone who has heard both the 12 speaker premium, and the Mark Levinson systems tell me your impressions of it? Is the ML system worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-17-10, 05:55 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The ML system in my previous car had nineteen speakers and way too much low-end power. I find the premium system in this car very adequate, and much easier on my aging ears. The midrange works quite well for this confined space. I toyed with the idea of going with ML, but only because of the additional DVD-Video & HDD capability. If you're a real audiophile, then you should consider it.
Old 06-17-10, 05:55 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Is the mark levinson better? Yes

Is it $1600 better? No

The 12 speaker is fine and many reviews say that it is much better than the standard 9. the RX has never had a really good ML system because of the way the cabin is. THere is just too much space in the cargo area which attributes to the lack of "surround" sound.
Old 06-17-10, 05:59 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Get the ML. I've never been a fan of the stock stereo system. This is the first time I went for the upgrade and don't regret it.

And look at it this way, if you do a special order, you get what you want. Took four months for me.
Old 06-17-10, 06:07 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info. I am an audiophile in a sense. I love a great sounding system. I do like bass response too, but clean clear and crisp mids/highs are my weakness.
I will see if they will try to locate a vehicle for me at another dealer that has the ML in it. Not too sure if I want to wait 4 months just for the audio system. If there were more options that would be affected overall, then maybe I would do the order. If a ML RX can't be located, I may just go with the premium. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to test drive one, and will see how the 12 speaker setup sounds.
Old 06-17-10, 06:34 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Like most systems that have the sub-woofer in the rear, the bass response is richer when the listener's position is biased to the rear of the vehicle. So shift it back & forth, and side to side to see what works best for you - and bring along your most discrete CDs...
Old 06-17-10, 06:47 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the ML and I did listen to the 12 speaker first. The ML is better, is it $1600 better not sure about that. It does have bass and the sound is equal through out the car. You do need to bias it toward the rear.
Old 06-17-10, 07:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
I am beginning talks with my local dealer about the purchase of a 2010 RX450h. I would prefer to have the Mark Levinson audio system, but none of their vehicles have this option, and the inventory manager is saying to get that, that a 3 month order would have to be made.
I even went to the Lexus site to build my 450, and the ML system was not listed as an option, although i can spec this out on kbb.com when i build one over there. I guess its just a regional thing.

Now to my question:

Can someone who has heard both the 12 speaker premium, and the Mark Levinson systems tell me your impressions of it? Is the ML system worth the extra cost?

Thanks in advance
Why don't you find any 2010 RX on a dealers lot with the ML and listen to it? Hopefully you have more than one dealer in your area.
I'd think it much better for you to listen, rather then seek opinions. I've been happy with my premium systems over the years.
Old 06-17-10, 08:22 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

so you're dealer won't trade with another dealer? there have to be some RXs in the southeast that your dealer can trade for...
Old 06-18-10, 03:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I've read the ML sounds good in some models and not so hot in others.The RX being one of those 'others'.
I haven't heard the system in a RX but owned a GS with ML and was very dissapointed.
In the GS,the center channel drowned out the other sppeakers and there was no volume adjustment.Listen to the ML before you buy it.I didn't and wasted $2K and was reminded of that every time I got in the car.
My son in law has a LS460 with ML and it sounds great.
The 12 speaker system sounds good and much better than the standard system on my '09 RX.
The 12 speaker is a option over the standard 9 speaker which isn't very good.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-18-10 at 05:05 AM.
Old 06-18-10, 06:24 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it will be difficult to find an RX with the ML option sitting in a dealer's lot. I certainly had no luck in tracking one down when I was looking. If you want it, and can be patient, go for the special order and get whatever other options you would like. However, the 12 speaker system isn't bad and I suspect you could live with it if necessary.
Old 06-18-10, 06:30 AM
sleepysurf
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil4cyl
Thanks for the info. I am an audiophile in a sense. I love a great sounding system. I do like bass response too, but clean clear and crisp mids/highs are my weakness.
I will see if they will try to locate a vehicle for me at another dealer that has the ML in it. Not too sure if I want to wait 4 months just for the audio system. If there were more options that would be affected overall, then maybe I would do the order. If a ML RX can't be located, I may just go with the premium. I am going to the dealer tomorrow to test drive one, and will see how the 12 speaker setup sounds.
Actually, I am an "audiophile" (in fact, a member of the Tampa Bay Listening Society), and believe it or not, when custom-ordering my RX450h, I opted to just get the 12 speaker package instead of the ML upgrade (as I did not want the NAV package that was mandatory with the ML). Mark Levinson is known for their high-end amplifiers and CD/SACD players, but has never manufactured speakers (or automotive gear). The parent company is Harman International, which also owns Harman Karden, JBL, Infinity and other brands, so I presume their Lexus (and other luxury car) audio systems, are just "rebadged and overpriced" versions of those lower lines.

After having read in these forums about "premature" failures of some ML branded sytems in older Lexus models, I decided I'd rather save the $$ and put it towards an after-market audio upgrade, if desired.

From an audiophile perspective, I would say the 12 speaker system is adequate, but definitely not "high-end." Mids are excellent, highs a bit rolled off, and bass fairly "muddy". For the $$, I would expect the ML system to sound better, but I never had the chance to compare.

I don't spend a lot of time commuting, and after one month, I feel the 12 speaker system is "good enough" for the road. I might consider adding a sub, or upgrading the entire system down the road, but only if I could do so for <$1000. When I want real music I have my Conrad-Johnson/Martin Logan Summit setup at home .

If you do spend a lot of time commuting and listening, I would definitely recommend auditioning the ML upgrade option before deciding. Your dealer should be willing to find the car you want, or custom order one for you. Unfortunately, it took a lot of arm-twisting and game-playing for me to ultimately get what I wanted.
Old 06-18-10, 09:25 AM
Johnny
Pole Position

The one feature that is sorely lacking in the Lexus ML system is a sophisticated and usable equalizer. Without it, the system is limited to basic low/mid/high control not much different than a humble AM/FM radio. I suspect the legal department doesn't want the operator to fiddle around too much while driving. The end result is an impotent system that can't be tailored to individual tastes.
Old 06-18-10, 03:02 PM
Lil4cyl
Lead Lap

I appreciate all the replies. I went to the dealer today and test drove, and talked about what I wanted. They did not have a 12 speaker system on the lot. The 450 I test drove had the 9 speaker, and I didnt even care to listen to that one. I ended up deciding to go with one that has the 12 speaker system and is still on the boat on its way over. I'll post info on it in a new thread.
Old 06-18-10, 03:27 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I hope this thread doesn't turn into what kind of speakers/amps/subwoofers should I get.

I've been there, done that with my 330. It started with changing the speakers to adding amps, subwoofers, crossover, clean sweep and soundlinq. The only thing I didn't change was the radio itself. I was pretty happy with the setup for the most part but it was kind of expensive. Now I thought about adding a subwoofer and amp to the 450h. For now I have decided ML isn't so bad after all. My wallet is pretty happy. And I really need to act my age

Quick Reply: 12 Speaker premium or Mark Levinson