RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX Series a Woman's vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-10, 02:47 PM
Wubbman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX Series a Woman's vehicle?

I don't mean this topic to be inflammatory at all, but does it seem to anyone else that the RX series seems to be a woman's car? I say this as a single guy in his mid 20s who may very well buy one before the year is out. I don't want the cost or gas consumption of a GX, but I still want more storage and carrying capacity than the IS. I can see myself being the recipient of a lot of friendly ribbing if I drive up in an RX one day (especially as I'm in an Army unit that is all about trucks). Such is life...

What are other's thoughts?
Old 06-09-10, 02:52 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No doubt about it.
A soccer mom chick car.
I like the RX,though.

The IS is said to be a 'chick car' too.
I didn't care about that either.I had an '06 IS 250AWD..

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-09-10 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 03:09 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah it is, and it makes me feel girlish all over.

Women tend to make wiser decisions than guys anyway, so if you can't fight them, why not join them? I get a lot more attention now from women in all walks of life who love this car, compared to my previous LS600. It's a great ice breaker.

I've seen a few women operating Hummers, Harleys, semi-trailers and Boeing 747s, so modes of transportation of any sort hardly define or project masculinity/femininity nowadays? You'll get over the macho pressure quickly when you make the transition, and you'll get the last laugh. Most of the bravado is imaginary anyway.
Old 06-09-10, 03:16 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't believe this topic has generated the number of responses it has. Either you like it or you don't and if you're in your 20s... I would hope you're mature enough to not care what other people think when it comes to your choice in cars and don't derive your identity from it. A car is just a car, you buy one that meets your needs.

You want a chick car... try a golf/rabbit/beetle convertible.

Which generation are you looking at? 1st, 2nd gen or 3rd gen? I do think that the previous generations of the RX were more of a woman's car. The first generation RX created the segment and it was targeted for women. The 2010 looks much more masculine. My wife has an 08 RX and she doesn't like the look of the 2010 even though she occasionally admits it drives better than hers. Who do you see in the Lexus ads primarily? Men. They're shifting focus.

Look at it this way... I could say the same thing about the Infiniti FX or X5 in Phoenix. I see more women driving them than men.

Last edited by tazdevl; 06-09-10 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-09-10, 03:17 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

As long as you don't put a baby seat in the back, you should be ok

Seriously I see plenty of guys driving them by me. Don't sweat it.
Old 06-09-10, 03:29 PM
sleepysurf
Driver

A couple of my "macho" colleagues at work (one drives a truck, the other a Porsche), called my 450h a "sissy" car. After I told them I'm getting 28+ MPG, they shut up!
Old 06-09-10, 03:59 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default There is no Gender or Age rating

In reality the Gen 1 pretty much appealed to a large part of the market that wanted an SUV but with a nice car ride and a good measure of handling.

The Gen 2 was a big step forward. I don't think it actually lost male owners, it just was really appealing to women as 'their' car in an upward movement. And they could also identify with the ride, comfort, and ease of use as a family car.

The Gen 3 IMO is grabbing an even bigger share of the market. If people rib you, most likely their jealous of your ability to purchase the car as well as envious of your taste. I owned an '03 RX300 and now a 2010 RX 450h and I basically decided on it for my own needs and tastes.

Don't go by the perception a car is for a certain gender or age group. Lexus is targeting the new CT200h for a much younger crowd. I'm past the mid 60's now and I think it would make a dammed exciting '2nd' car. Ya never know

Oh, and I'm the only driver now. But I'm thinking with some of the Lexus performance toys it would be a real hit at the weekend autocross events.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-09-10 at 04:05 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 06-09-10, 04:37 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There certainly seems to be a perception out there that the RX is a 'soccer mom' vehicle. I have to admit I was that way until the '10 came out. I was going to buy the new GX but with gas being what it is, the price hike on the GX, and I was tired of the 'truck' ride, I opted for the RX.

I have not regretted that decision. I actually have seen more men driving this '10 model than women, at least were I live. I don't even give it a second thought. Enjoying what you drive and function is the key.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 06-09-10, 05:29 PM
Orbit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My black sapphire pearl rx with black interior looks manly enough for me...
Old 06-09-10, 05:33 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wubbman
I don't mean this topic to be inflammatory at all, but does it seem to anyone else that the RX series seems to be a woman's car? I say this as a single guy in his mid 20s who may very well buy one before the year is out. I don't want the cost or gas consumption of a GX, but I still want more storage and carrying capacity than the IS. I can see myself being the recipient of a lot of friendly ribbing if I drive up in an RX one day (especially as I'm in an Army unit that is all about trucks). Such is life...

Except for GS,LS, and GX, all other models are "girlie" vehicles. for mid-20ish to drive a RX, others will think you borrow your mom's car. NOT THAT ANYTHING IS WRONG WITH THAT!
Old 06-09-10, 06:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the 3RX is slowly coming out with mod parts...kit, wheels, etc. nothing girlie about a fully modded RX!
Old 06-09-10, 07:24 PM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wubbman

Get any car you want and feel comfortable driving. Just so it's not PINK... You can't go wrong with a RX.

You may want to wait until October when the 2011's are coming out however.
Old 06-09-10, 08:40 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My dad bought the 2010 RX for himself, but my mom drives it instead. I feel like the 2010 RX is more of a woman's car than a man's. It just looks very girly, but w/e. I drive it from time to time and don't really think about it anymore. Keeps the miles of my 2GS
Old 06-09-10, 09:32 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Some (immature) individuals, uncertain/insecure about their own sexuality in a peer group setting, are quick to define chattels into male/female or gay/straight categories. Doing this reinforces their fragile egos at a time when they are all-too-often short on life experience but long on pretending otherwise...
Old 06-09-10, 09:40 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

yeah i hate the whole, "blah blah is a woman's car". cars are not gender specific.

Quick Reply: RX Series a Woman's vehicle?