RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-10, 03:47 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil change

so im going in for the 5,000 mile service tommorow, and i heard here that the 5,000 service now does not include the oil change. And that they change the oil at 10,000 miles for free instead.

So does that mean it is filled with sythetic from the factory? the reason why i ask is cause i wanted to change my oil then at 5,000. And wanted to know if im going to have to buy synthetic or just buy some regular dino oil.

also i see that it says 0w20 on the oil filler cap. For cali owners do you put in the 0w20 or is 5w30 ok to use?

Last edited by lx470man; 06-03-10 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-03-10, 04:12 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It is supposed to be synthetic from the factory. I changed mine at 1500 mi, just cuz. My RX says 0w -20w which is what I used. So far only Mobil 1 makes it, as far as I have seen.
Old 06-03-10, 10:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

correct, 3rx has synthetic oil now i believe
Old 06-05-10, 07:08 AM
rftuck
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use Toyota OEM 0W20 synthetic oil from the dealer. It is the only oil Lexus will warranty and supports the 10,000 mile oil change interval.
Old 06-05-10, 09:32 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rftuck
Use Toyota OEM 0W20 synthetic oil from the dealer. It is the only oil Lexus will warranty and supports the 10,000 mile oil change interval.
Sorta wrong! If you keep your receipts, your warranty is good RE: oil if you have your receipts and the oil meets the specs set forward in the owners Manual. Several companies make oil that meets the specs. It would be illegal for them to 'require' you to buy their brand.

That said, they will not cover shoddy work (loose nut for instance) or going beyond the recommended intervals.
Old 06-05-10, 10:47 AM
lx470man
Lead Lap

i mean how would they know you change the oil? unless you make it obvious like not replacing the gaskets.
Old 06-05-10, 12:14 PM
tsslaporte
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Sorta wrong! If you keep your receipts, your warranty is good RE: oil if you have your receipts and the oil meets the specs set forward in the owners Manual. Several companies make oil that meets the specs. It would be illegal for them to 'require' you to buy their brand.

That said, they will not cover shoddy work (loose nut for instance) or going beyond the recommended intervals.
10k miles is a lot to run oil for, If you are going to switch to another brand I would change it at 5k and send it in for a UOA, and find out if it can go for more. You can use other oil but if something happens and you don't have proof that your oil can run for the 10k interval they might screw with you.
Old 06-05-10, 03:31 PM
Terrapin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oil change intervals are HUGE issues on every luxo car forum. There are literally thousands of posts about this subject, especially on BMW and Mercedes boards where posters agonize over computer-generated intervals, sometimes in excess of 20K.
I wouldn't try to give anyone advice, other than I think it makes sense to do an initial oil change "early" (maybe 3K or so) after the engine is fully broken in. After that, join the arguments over when to do it. I change mine no more than every 7K with synthetic no matter what. Some will agree with that, others will stick right with the factory. I had an oil analysis done on synthetic I drained from my car with 6800 miles on it. The analysis said the oil was still good, but probably would need changing by around 8K. Obviously these intervals depend on temperature, driving style, conditions, etc. Have fun.

Last edited by Terrapin; 06-05-10 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-06-10, 11:03 AM
rftuck
Rookie

The new maintenance guide says you can only go 10,000 miles if you use Lexus(Toyota) 5W20 oil. That means, in my opinion, that you are stuck with using their oil.
Old 06-06-10, 11:32 AM
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The new maintenance guide says you can only go 10,000 miles if you use Lexus(Toyota) 5W20 oil. That means, in my opinion, that you are stuck with using their oil.
I think you meant to say 0W20 oil ?
Old 06-06-10, 04:22 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrapin
Oil change intervals are HUGE issues on every luxo car forum. There are literally thousands of posts about this subject, especially on BMW and Mercedes boards where posters agonize over computer-generated intervals, sometimes in excess of 20K.
I wouldn't try to give anyone advice, other than I think it makes sense to do an initial oil change "early" (maybe 3K or so) after the engine is fully broken in. After that, join the arguments over when to do it. I change mine no more than every 7K with synthetic no matter what. Some will agree with that, others will stick right with the factory. I had an oil analysis done on synthetic I drained from my car with 6800 miles on it. The analysis said the oil was still good, but probably would need changing by around 8K. Obviously these intervals depend on temperature, driving style, conditions, etc. Have fun.
Who or where do you take the oil for analysis? How much oil do they need? What are they looking for in the analysis? What do you pay for the analysis?

Thanks,
Old 06-06-10, 05:20 PM
Orbit
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I took my RX into the dealer for 5k service, they recommended oil change every 5k miles despite the Lexus 10k recommendation. Because city driving is hard on engines. Are they blowing smoke?
Old 06-06-10, 07:01 PM
lx470man
Lead Lap

just did the oil change and lets say they need to redo the design of the filter. What a messy job.
Old 06-07-10, 04:13 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Orbit
When I took my RX into the dealer for 5k service, they recommended oil change every 5k miles despite the Lexus 10k recommendation. Because city driving is hard on engines. Are they blowing smoke?
Maybe 5K is low but it can't hurt for city driving mileage.
I would change my oil & filter in my RX every 7500 miles max or one year.I usually only do 5K-6K a year on the RX and will do the change.
After my freebie oil change,I'm going with Amsoil 0w30.I'm not a fan of thin oil.

Originally Posted by lx470man
just did the oil change and lets say they need to redo the design of the filter. What a messy job.
Yeah,I hate that cannister too.Rather have the spin on oil filter.
Old 06-07-10, 05:30 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

rftuck, again you're 'sorta' wrong. I just pulled out my 'Updated Maintenance Requirements' that is for both the RX 350 and 450h.

It say's in the letter quote:
For most owners, a smart investment just got a little smarter and greener, as the use of Genuine Lexus 0W-20W Synthetic Motor Oil in your RX450h allows for the oil change interval to be extended to 12 months/10,000 miles (from 6months/5,000 miles) under normal operating conditions. We are also pleased to advise you that the 12 month/10,000 mile service is now complimentary"

That implies their oil is what they would like you to use, they make money on your service. It doesn't say anywhere it must be their oil.

I 'do' think using the dealer and their oil is the best way to go. If there is a problem then no question as to liability. But if you comply with your owners manual's API type of oil and weight and keep your receipts then you're still covered. As I said, using the dealer is always going to be the best way for us. Not only are you getting the right stuff, it's automatically noted online to prove your service was done as required and is very helpful when re-selling or trading your Lexus.

Just trying to be clear on the point of using their 'BRAND' is not a mandatory requirement.

Quick Reply: oil change