RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Alarm Goes Off For No Reason

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-10, 07:01 AM
ChitChat
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alarm Goes Off For No Reason

So why do you think my alarm went off for no explainable reason today? My car is parked in front of my house and all of a sudden I hear an alarm going off. Now, I've never heard my own alarm so I wasn't even aware it was mine until it kept going and I realized it might be mine. So I went to look out the window and I couldn't decipher where the sound was coming from because there's a lot of cars around here (I just woke up and I wasn't dressed to go outside). So for the heck of it, I grabbed my fob and kept pressing buttons to see if it would go off. I was so flustered and nothing went off so I thought it wasn't mine. Then I held down the red button and it finally went off. Embarassing because all the neighbors were looking out their windows. LOL

Has this happened to anyone for no reason? Does it mean someone tried to open my door (which I doubt because it's broad daylight in a quiet neighborhood). What warnings should I look for on the dash when I go in there for the first time after shutting off the alarm?
Old 05-09-10, 11:08 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

there will be no warning signs on the dash or anything. I cant tell you why it was going off, but fwiw, I cant lock my cars in my garage because they all (not only lexus, but mercedes too) go off after some time. something in my garage is interfering with it.
Old 05-09-10, 12:03 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it possible something was pressing hard against your keyfob? This happens sometimes if I squat when it is in my pocket and something like a key accidentally sets it off. In fact, it happened to me just three days ago...

It could also be a defective keyfob that is transmitting without warning.
Old 05-09-10, 01:49 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It could be the GBS. You should the the dealer to look at it, set it to a less sensitive level.
Old 05-09-10, 10:55 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wyau01
It could be the GBS. You should the the dealer to look at it, set it to a less sensitive level.
possibly GBS, but the OP didn't say whether he has GBS installed. afaik, GBS is an optional accessory and i don't think there are alot of 3RX owners with this (if i recall, only kitlz and myself have GBS installed)
Old 05-10-10, 02:55 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Check for weak/defective car battery. When voltage fluctuates, car will think something being opened.
Old 04-27-15, 02:30 AM
owenu
Driver School Candidate

Default car alarm goes off for no apparent reason

I have an RX450 - 2years old and my wife has an IS250 4years old. In the last month - only when in our garage, the car alarms have gone off for no apparent reason. This has occurred when the cars are both locked or unlocked. Odd that it is happening only recently to both cars. Our lexus dealer can't proper an explanation.
Old 04-27-15, 04:38 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We had both remotes replaced under warranty last year. Parked in the garage & locked. About 2:30 AM we thought we had a new alarm clock in the garage. Happened twice.
Old 04-27-15, 05:14 PM
owenu
Driver School Candidate

Default car alarms

Ok - thanks Steve
So new car remotes seem to have resolved the problem?
R
Owen
Old 04-27-15, 05:26 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Fixed the issue. Both remotes were also chewing up batteries at an alarming rate just prior to replacement.
Old 04-29-15, 03:19 AM
owenu
Driver School Candidate

Smile

ok - thanks - will look into.
R
owenu
Old 05-01-15, 06:52 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Adding to the X-Files...

...while loading the car this morning in preparation for a trip, I opened the trunk/hatch using the outdoor pushbutton.

Two of the doors of the car were open.

The car started beeping and beeping. I took my keys out of my pocket. The fob is in the leather sheath, so it is less likely to have a pushbutton accidently pushed.

While holding the key in my hand (loosely), and still trying to figure out what was all the beeping about, the WINDOWS ALL WENT DOWN - THE MOONROOF OPENED!

I am absolutely sure that no button had been pushed on the fob.

I then hit the open and lock buttons; and the beeping stopped.

So...

...add this one to the X-Files.
Old 05-01-15, 06:56 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

And I had the fob's battery changed a few weeks ago at the 30K service.
Old 05-01-15, 07:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Adding to the X-Files...

...while loading the car this morning in preparation for a trip, I opened the trunk/hatch using the outdoor pushbutton.

The car started beeping and beeping. I took my keys out of my pocket. The fob is in the leather sheath, so it is less likely to have a pushbutton accidently pushed.

While holding the key in my hand (loosely), and still trying to figure out what was all the beeping about, the WINDOWS ALL WENT DOWN - THE MOONROOF OPENED!

I am absolutely sure that no button had been pushed on the fob.

I then hit the open and lock buttons; and the beeping stopped.

So...

...add this one to the X-Files.
Sounds like the unlock button on the fob was pressed. It'll open the windows and moonroof (if it's programmed) and give you audible notification. Just take the key out of the fob, insert in the driver door and turn left and hold to close eveyrthing. It'll lock the RX too. Being in the leather fob case doesn't necessarily prevent this from happening. You can ask the dealer to disable the feature.
Old 05-01-15, 09:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
Adding to the X-Files...

Is it possible that when you went to open the rear hatch you hit the "lock" button on the hatch rather than the open button? If you accidentally hit the lock button, the car would beep at you because it thinks you are trying to lock it while you have doors open.

Quick Reply: Alarm Goes Off For No Reason